You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

I'm just in the mikkeller bar in Shoreditch/bethnel green in London and trying this "space race". 6.7% IPA gluten free. I didn't want a gluten free, but I fancied a NEIPA style and it was the closest they had. It was a shit pour, way too gassy and the taste is only moderate, a bit too biscuity for my liking. And it was 6 quid for 2/3 of a pint. That has to be one of my pet hates in life. I want a fucking pint. I'm not so stupid I don't understand its strong. It's like someone put your mum on the measures "you drink too much young womble". Virtually fucking nothing available in a whole pint except some shite session stuff and they can stick that. 

IMG_20200910_180208.jpg

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

£6 for only 2/3’s of a pint???

Fuck that. 

So I've just left there and walked up the road to where goose Island have a brew pub. More disappointment with over priced session shite. These big craft breweries are starting to take the piss and they're ending up like all the other shit breweries. Although I'm not certain , but perhaps goose has already been acquired by someone and are no longer independent. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

So I've just left there and walked up the road to where goose Island have a brew pub. More disappointment with over priced session shite. These big craft breweries are starting to take the piss and they're ending up like all the other shit breweries. Although I'm not certain , but perhaps goose has already been acquired by someone and are no longer independent. 

Been owned by AB InBev for almost a decade.

39 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Been owned by AB InBev for almost a decade.

That explains that then! 

Something I've noticed tonight though, for the 1st time since we've come out of lockdown pubs are at last taking track and trace serious. I have mostly found nobody gives a shit, but the last 24 hours is very different. I think that's a good thing as much as I hate it. 

And finally, I'm finishing my night in craft bar that has got a couple of beers from The Kernel. I don't think I've ever seen it sold in Liverpool on draft or in bottles. They make some fucking cracking beers though - even the table IPA at 2.8% is drinkable for one or two. I'm now enjoying their IPA made with Vic secret and wai-iti hops. It's really good, weaker than his normal 7-odd percenter, at 5.6, but very, very nice. I like Vic Secret hops. 

Just finished my last customer meeting of the week and I've time for a pint or two before getting to Euston for my train back home. I was walking past the goose Island tap in Shoreditch I decided to check the brews after it being disappointing last week. Just drinking a pint of this belter called restrictor. The hops are great - despite the description saying it's bitter and an IBU of 60, I'm not sure it's that bitter, but it's delicious. 

Next up a schooner of "man sized brew sir!" Which is a double dry hopped double IPA at 8.1%

Then Euston....  

Screenshot_20200918-145815.jpg

31 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Just finished my last customer meeting of the week and I've time for a pint or two before getting to Euston for my train back home. I was walking past the goose Island tap in Shoreditch I decided to check the brews after it being disappointing last week. Just drinking a pint of this belter called restrictor. The hops are great - despite the description saying it's bitter and an IBU of 60, I'm not sure it's that bitter, but it's delicious. 

Next up a schooner of "man sized brew sir!" Which is a double dry hopped double IPA at 8.1%

Then Euston....  

Screenshot_20200918-145815.jpg

Why don’t you just go to the Euston Taps, normally has some great beer on? 

51 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Why don’t you just go to the Euston Taps, normally has some great beer on? 

Has it opened back up since lockdown? It's super tiny inside isn't it? Most of the stuff at Euston inside or outside like burger king or Nandos etc is shut. I assumed everything a bit further out was similar. When I've been near Euston I've been going the royal George mostly if I wanted a pint and they do Beavertown gamma ray, which normally hits the spot if I've an hour to kill. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Has it opened back up since lockdown? It's super tiny inside isn't it? Most of the stuff at Euston inside or outside like burger king or Nandos etc is shut. I assumed everything a bit further out was similar. When I've been near Euston I've been going the royal George mostly if I wanted a pint and they do Beavertown gamma ray, which normally hits the spot if I've an hour to kill. 

Called for a pint at Mikkeller on Exmouth Market and rode past it on the way back home, it’s open again, thankfully! 

It has some seating upstairs, but it’s all about standing outside and watching the world go by...

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Called for a pint at Mikkeller on Exmouth Market and rode past it on the way back home, it’s open again, thankfully! 

I was in mikkeller pub in London last week, it was really disappointing. They didn't care at all about the quality of what they were serving, masses of froth everywhere and they just thought that was normal..

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I was in mikkeller pub in London last week, it was really disappointing. They didn't care at all about the quality of what they were serving, masses of froth everywhere and they just thought that was normal..

Yeah, I saw, you were in the shoreditch one, the Exmouth one brews it’s own, so you get really fresh, tasty stuff.

Never had any problem whatsoever in shoreditch though and I go quite a lot, maybe you caught them on a bad day.

If you want a great bar, and you’re in that part of the world, head for the beer merchants tap in Hackney, it has some amazing stuff on tap normally. 

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yeah, I saw, you were in the shoreditch one, the Exmouth one brews it’s own, so you get really fresh, tasty stuff.

Never had any problem whatsoever in shoreditch though and I go quite a lot, maybe you caught them on a bad day.

If you want a great bar, and you’re in that part of the world, head for the beer merchants tap in Hackney, it has some amazing stuff on tap normally. 

I'll give that a whirl. I'm in Shoreditch a lot. I sneaked a quick one in that place pained red right by the old st roundabout.maybe it's just called craft beer. They had some belters on, but when I've been there in the past it has mostly been disappointing. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'll give that a whirl. I'm in Shoreditch a lot. I sneaked a quick one in that place pained red right by the old st roundabout.maybe it's just called craft beer. They had some belters on, but when I've been there in the past it has mostly been disappointing. 

The Craft Beer Company.

Its ‘alright’, don’t know why I’ve never taken to it, but they normally have some good stuff on.

Verdant have something called ‘The Experiment’ with Pressure Drop in Hackney that might float your boat, they always have great stuff on.

If you’ve got a day to spare head to Enid street, near Bermondsey, as there’s about 10/15 brewery tap rooms from some of the best in the uk all within about a quarter mile of each other.