You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I think about it, the more he is exactly the type of player we need.

Not sure if it will happen, but I would be fairly happy if it did.

He gets in the right position and scores, that is what this team is crying out for.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I watched the first one and half of the second one, but they didn't tell me anything I don't know:

He scores a lot of penalties.

In all but a couple of those goals, he has at least two or three yards of space to work in.

Right, so what we're looking for is somebody who can work inside of a yard of space or less. 36 inches. I guess we're looking at different things in a player. He can score all types of different goals. It's not like our only chances come with a defender a few inches away.

But It seems like you're going to be against this regardless, so no bother. It's clear he'd handy in the box. If that's not enough, there's very little I can do.

It doesn't show me a player making goals for other players or participating in the buildup play.

I didn't say anything about that. We've got Suarez and enough chances.

I think he's a lot better than Carroll, but like him, he's a player that seems to me to require a certain type of play.

I don't agree with that at all. He can score goals in the box, with his head, and running onto through balls. Still, I agree ith you that he's significantly better than Carroll.

Edited by Numero Veinticinco

Just looking over at Villatalk, apparently Villa are over 100m in debt and had 38m loss last year. The owner had loaned the club money for O'Neill to go on a spending spree but then the owner got divorced in 2009 so his wife probably got a lot of his money. Right after this was when they started to sell players and Martin O'Neil walked away. The Bent deal was 18m rising to 24m with addons so if they were going to sell Bent they probably want to do it before more of the addons kick in. I think we could get him for around 18m send Carroll the other way on loan.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Why? Cuz the 18 miller is too much?

18m is more than he's worth to us, as we could get somebody significantly better for that money. It's also a shit deal because our £35m player is fucking off to play for them. Regardless of how shit Carroll is, loaning him out should be the last resort. Sell him.

18m is more than he's worth to us, as we could get somebody significantly better for that money. It's also a shit deal because our £35m player is fucking off to play for them. Regardless of how shit Carroll is, loaning him out should be the last resort. Sell him.

It would put Bent in the side w no wages ---- or

as that wise sage Paula Abdul once said "straight up".

Right, so what we're looking for is somebody who can work inside of a yard of space or less. 36 inches. I guess we're looking at different things in a player. He can score all types of different goals. It's not like our only chances come with a defender a few inches away.

No, I'm not sure you've quite understood me, or that I've explained myself fully enough. In most of his goals he is either running onto the ball already or has space to beat the defender with a little burst of acceleration. What you're not seeing in the youtube videos is what happens when he gets the ball in crowded space against a better defensive setup. They've been selected to show all his good moments and not what he finds tricky.

I think we are a team that a lot of our opponents will set up fairly defensively against and be fired up to stifle us. What I don't see from those videos is how well Bent works in that situation. I don't think I've ever really seen that in him from memory, either.

But It seems like you're going to be against this regardless, so no bother. It's clear he'd handy in the box. If that's not enough, there's very little I can do.

On the other hand, I'm not sure why you're getting so defensive. I've just stated my opinion that he relies on his pace but doesn't seem to have a lot of other tricks. If the ball comes to him in space in the box, he will likely finish it, sure, but he's not going to get the same space with us as he has with the other teams where he's flourished.

He will give you goals if you set him up right, and that's fine, but if we're trying to play more of a pass and move game, then I'm merely questioning how well he will fit in. I'd rather not take a chance on that, for that kind of money. I'd rather we got someone in from a different league with the attributes to suit us than trying to shoehorn someone in that may not be quite right, for an English premium.

I didn't say anything about that. We've got Suarez and enough chances.

It's ok, I don't need you to tell me what to talk about. That is one of the questions I have of Bent though; can he contribute to the buildup as well as leading the line? I think we are way too dependent on Suarez and that's often because we don't have the guile to put others through in the right kind of spaces. I don't want a target man, but I do want someone who can hold up the ball a bit and play someone else in, as well as scoring himself. Carroll unfortunately does neither for us.

I don't agree with that at all. He can score goals in the box, with his head, and running onto through balls.

That's your prerogative. Personally, although he is talented, I am not sure he's right for us or at least there is a risk of that, and the videos you posted don't change my mind on that.

Edited by zigackly

Not sure about bent he has the touch of the Keanes about him, as in that he has his level. Although should he come here I would support him and want to be proven wrong more than anything.

We've been linked with Yarmelenko from Ukraine who is by all accounts pretty decent. Not seen him play but could be gettable and if he his as good as his hype then all the better.

Liverpool told to forget about Bent

Liverpool shouldn't sign Darren Bent, says John Barnes

Former Anfield star John Barnes says Aston Villa striker Darren Bent does not fit the bill for Liverpool, as the Reds consider goalscoring reinforcements in January.

The Merseysiders have scored only 18 times in as many Barclays Premier League fixtures this season and, with Luis Suarez set to begin an eight-game ban in the New Year, Kenny Dalglish has been tipped to bolster his attack.

Bent, meanwhile, has been linked with Liverpool in the past, but it would seem unlikely that Dalglish would attempt to bring the England international to Anfield next month.

Barnes certainly does not expect to see the 27-year-old sign for the Reds, and does not believe Bent is suited to the style of football Liverpool have adopted under Dalglish.

“It all depends on the way you actually play and you have to play to someone’s strengths,” Barnes told talkSPORT.

“I don’t know if he is the type of player that they want, he likes to be direct, play over the top, run on quickly.

"Liverpool don’t play that way and as good as Darren Bent is a good goal-scorer in the right team, I don’t know whether he’d fit at Liverpool.”

Liverpool shouldn't sign Darren Bent, says John Barnes | Give Me Football