You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Buying a New Car

George Costanza

I'm going to replace my banged up shit heap next weekend I think. I've found a couple of Ford Focus' which take my fancy. This'll be the first time I've really ever bought a car so I want some tips on how much you can take the piss bargaining with them? The Focus I like is £7300 and I want to get rid of my current car - it's a load of shit over 100k on the clock and not worth over £500. How much do you think I could get that Focus for?

I'm going to replace my banged up shit heap next weekend I think. I've found a couple of Ford Focus' which take my fancy. This'll be the first time I've really ever bought a car so I want some tips on how much you can take the piss bargaining with them? The Focus I like is £7300 and I want to get rid of my current car - it's a load of shit over 100k on the clock and not worth over £500. How much do you think I could get that Focus for?

What sort of Focus is it? Mileage, reg, engine size, 3dr, 5dr, etc and I will tell you what you should offer.

Suppose not - what would I be looking at price wise for a similar spec on the 1.6?
£6995 would be about the going rate.

Godknows evidently has a 1.6 on his lot!

Ha Ha! Methinks you know me too well sir! Unfortunately not on this occasion. Its a bit too new for me. The majority of my stuff is 3 yr old and over.

Move away from Ford. You could pick up a cracking Audi for less than 10k. Even a Mini Cooper if thats your thing.

My girlfriend is going to test drive a new shape TT next week which is less than 15k with 30k miles

Fuckin hell, for so many reasons I whish I lived in England.

I bought an 05 mod Audi A3 1,9 TDI for less than a year ago and paid £25000 for it, it had gone 38000km.