You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

mrs is 10 year older than me. She had her son at 17 and his mrs is now pregnant. It was all planned and they have a house and stuff but it means in 6 month I'll be 34 and in a relationship with a grandma..

scary shit.

His own house and a baby at 17? For the love of God why? And how?

Read it again slowly, rico, without your Daily Mail specs on

I get it now? I was remembering what I was like at 17 and thinking I wasnt responsible enough to look after myself never mind two other people. At that age I was going through a set of house keys a week and could barely boil an egg.

I guess it does fit in here too...I got married when I was 22! I thought nothing of it and thought I was so old and grown up. The whole thing sounds absolutely ridiculous now and I'd think they were having a laugh if my kids talked about doing the same thing. Fortunately, there seems little prospect of that happening

I guess it does fit in here too...I got married when I was 22! I thought nothing of it and thought I was so old and grown up. The whole thing sounds absolutely ridiculous now and I'd think they were having a laugh if my kids talked about doing the same thing. Fortunately, there seems little prospect of that happening

I got married at 19! Worra' tit I am.

Had to clear some of my shit out of my mum's house recently. She has been storing it for about thirty years so after a couple of decades of nagging I did the decent thing and brought it home. Mrs Razor isn't exactly thrilled.

Looking through it I found this rectangular blue plastic thingy. It turned out to be a cover containing a bona fide slide rule. Now some of the younger posters on here will not even have heard of a slide rule but was de rigeur for engineers of a certain generation (the one before some smart arse invented the calculator). The slide rule was the cornerstone of British industry for many a year. When you think of 20th century engineering greats such as Messrs Roll & Royce, Barnes Wallis  and so on, each of their inventions will have been designed using meticulous slide rule calculations. At one time in my past I had been inducted into the secret society of slide rule users and could do calculations such as working out the time it took sunlight to reach earth with amazing precision, and I also worked out some of things I was supposed to be working out. And what an indoctrination it was; forced to stand blindfolded in a room with one foot in a bowl of jelly and the other in a bucket of sand while monks chanted in the background I was inducted into that secret society and handed my very own slide rule.

And here it was many years later in my slightly trembling hands.  

I took off the top part of the cover and removed this icon of engineering mastery and held it tightly with both hands. After a few moments of silent prayer I then explored my long forgotten friend. Sliding the centre plastic strip this way and that. And then I realised; I no longer had any idea at all how to use it.

So I've put it back in its container. If anyone one wants to buy a plastic thing with moving bits please PM me. It may be in perfect working order but I no longer have a clue how to check.

• Upvote 6

I've still got one in my drawer and like you probably couldn't use it if I wanted to. I'm 34 but we still had to be taught how to use one even though we had calculators.

The vast majority of the stuff I studied is now long gone, as a lazy bastard I had a tendency to write small programs in basic to calculate things for me or with more simple stuff used excel and variations. Now I look at the formulas and think "how the fuck did I do that".

At work I'm now the bloke who sits in meetings saying "we tried that a few years ago and it didn't work" to all the super keen young things. I used to hate that person. It's good being right though!

Isn't it just.

Apparently saying I told you so is unbecoming.

I'm very unfuckingbecoming then.

At work I'm now the bloke who sits in meetings saying "we tried that a few years ago and it didn't work" to all the super keen young things. I used to hate that person. It's good being right though!

I am as well, but some cunts don't take no for a fucking answer. You get accused of being negative, they try what they were suggesting, it doesn't work and yet they conveniently forget you told them that already. But you end up with a reputation for being negative that gets chucked on your face every time you have an appraisal.

I don't work there any more, by the way. Its quite far away now, in both time in distance. Cunts, though.