You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emlyn needs your vote

Vincent Vega

slur alex and charlton picked the 5 players who are going into the hall of fame this year

Two old man utd team mates, an england 66 hero, and one which stuck out, a derby county legend.

Poor emlyn Hughes

Voted- EH was a great player.

Interestingly we have 8 players (JB,KD,AH,RH,KK,PB,IR & GS) whilst the Mancs have 12 if i've counted right.

I think that's probably more modern Sky generation bias than anything (I wouldn't have Beardsley in my top 8 LFC players) but mildly annoying given we still lead on Leagues & European Cups.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted- EH was a great player.

Interestingly we have 8 players (JB,KD,AH,RH,KK,PB,IR & GS) whilst the Mancs have 12 if i've counted right.

I think that's probably more modern Sky generation bias than anything (I wouldn't have Beardsley in my top 8 LFC players) but mildly annoying given we still lead on Leagues & European Cups.

The only reason Beardsley is mentioned is because he's an ex-Manchester United player.

Voted deserves to be in there,Sadly he died just before Istanbul,,Who the fuck are 2 manchester united legends in there probably Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke like that who have never done anything in the game

I said that at the time, such a shame that he didn't get to see us ascend back to the top of the pile in Europe. I was a bit of a latecomer to football, it didn't really grab me until I was hitting my teens and so Emlyn was a little before my time but from what I've seen of him since then, his indomitable spirit was exactly what we tapped into when we turned that game around. Although I shudder to think what he'd have thought of the first half.

Anyway, voted. Having to choose between him and Clem is very unfair though.

Guest davelfc
Why did Tommy Smith hate him so much ?

He took over as Captain from Tommy Smith and the biiter old twat has never got over it. I've met them both, watched them both play but only have repect for one of them.

He took over as Captain from Tommy Smith and the biiter old twat has never got over it. I've met them both, watched them both play but only have repect for one of them.

To be fair it wasn't just Smith who disliked him, it was most of the players. Smith is the only one who went public, better to have somebody say something to your face than say it behind your back I'd say.

Sky Sports | Football | Features | Hughes in Hall of Fame

Sky Sports has teamed up with the National Football Museum to induct Emlyn Hughes to the Hall of Fame.

Launched in 2002, the National Football Museum Hall of Fame celebrates the greatest players and managers of all time in English football.

Each year, 10 legends are inducted into the Hall of Fame and are chosen by a selection panel made up of some of the biggest names in the game, including Sir Alex Ferguson and Sir Bobby Charlton. (No bias there then).

Once in the Hall of Fame, members automatically become part of the panel.

The 2008 selection panel has completed its voting and the results will be publicised later in the year, but here are some clues...

The Hall of Fame will this year celebrate:

- Two Manchester United former team-mates

- A gifted Arsenal attacker

- Two members of the England 1966 squad

- A Derby County legend

- An England goalkeeper

- An Arsenal manager

One final place has already been confirmed after a public vote, with Hughes topping the poll ahead of Osvaldo Ardiles, Sir Trevor Brooking, Ray Clemence and Teddy Sheringham.

Emlyn Hughes

As captain of the Liverpool team which won back-to-back European Cups in 1977 and 1978, Hughes is guaranteed his status as a true Anfield legend. His untimely death at the age of just 57 from a brain tumour robbed the sport of a true entertainer. Nicknamed 'Crazy Horse' for his infectiously energetic displays, Hughes was the heartbeat of Bill Shankly's stunningly successful side and was equally at home in defence or midfield. The England captaincy naturally came his way, although Hughes was unable to lead his country to the silverware he enjoyed at club level.