You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

On 03/03/2024 at 07:10, razor said:

Leslie Ash used to be the woman every boy wanted to meet in an alleyway.  Now she's the woman nobody wants to meet in a dark alleyway. 

Post a GIF from your favourite film - General Chat - Monzo Community

ha ha..what a scene

Dune: Part Two. 8/10

One hell of a well put together film and quite the spectacle at times. 

I did have the slight misfortune in that Dune is one of my favourite books, so it was hard to separate the two. I do like some of the different choices they made from the book and thought those choices worked well for the film.

Amazing cinematography and score. Really good all round, the ending of the film did feel somewhat rushed though.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with Dune Messiah as it sounds like that’ll be made. Fingers crossed they leave out the bit referencing Hitler though. 

Mrs Juniper, who’s not really into Sci Fi, nor knows anything about the books absolutely loved it. 

2 hours ago, Mook said:

I prefer the Adam West Batman to the Nolan ones.

I actually rewatched them all fairly recently and they seem to get worse each time. They take themselves far too seriously and Batman doing his Cookie Monster voice is laughable.

The last one is a genuinely awful film.

The first two were superb. Dark Knight is a fantastic film. I fully agree about the last one, didn’t like it at all. 

Im not a sci-fi/superhero film fan at all usually but Interstellar and them first two Nolan Batman films are top drawer. 

On 02/03/2024 at 22:02, Captain Willard said:

Mrs Willard is obsessed with that film. The other day we took a big detour to see a road on the White City estate that featured in the film. 

This scene. We drove around for ages trying to find the exact spot. 

IMG_4183.jpeg

1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

Phil Daniels has always been a terrible actor, wooden a fuck, but I always watch Quadrophenia when it’s on television.

He gets up when he wants 

11 hours ago, Elite said:

Just enjoy the films for what they are. Not everything has to be broken down into filmmaking 101. Take the Rise of the Footsoldier films for example, it's obvious that they are absolute nonsense but I love them because they are massively entertaining. 

Enjoyment beats craft in any entertainment sector.

I don't think I am overthinking or over-analyzing his films, quite the contrary and they leave me generally unmoved and mildly annoyed. So I can't just sit back and enjoy it. 

Plus, we are talking about a filmmaker who is usually considered to belong to a group of five or three or even one containing the most important directors working right now. First question any filmmaker (and probably anybody creating a work of narrative art) should probably answer is, why should we care about what he is telling us and this is where Nolan struggles a lot, for me.

3 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

It's sad that we get fed so much cookie cutter shit at the cinema that when people like Nolan and Villenueve come along and offer real quality it's seen as trying too hard.

The problem isn't them trying to hard it's others not trying enough and making us accept by the numbers balance sheet film making.

I don't really watch "the cookie cutter shit" much, I'd say  not nearly enough to be suddenly swamped when confronted with "real quality". I mostly tend to like Villeneuve's stuff, compared to Nolan. I enjoyed The Arrival for example much more than the Interstellar. So, I don't think my problem is too much breathing through my mouth.

How people see Tenet is how I see most of Nolan's films, give or take. The good ones are much better than that of course, but the tenetism shines through them.

On 06/03/2024 at 23:07, Sut said:

The Harder They Come (1972). Tale of a country boy moving to Kingston and becoming embroiled in a life of crime. Really well made film, with a great soundtrack. 4/5

Poor Things. Great film, very entertaining. Emma Stone is brilliant as Bella. 8/10.

Oppenheimer. I liked it but could have trimmed maybe 20 minutes off. Great cast. 7.5/10.

Ricky Stanicky. Made by one of the Farrelly brothers so you kinda know what type of humour you're going to get. A story of three lifelong friend who when younger they made up a four friend (title character) who got blamed for everything, in adult life they still use him as excuses to get out of things. When the wife of one has doubts over his existence, the three guys hire an actor to come to a large family event to pretend to be their lifelong buddy.

It's okay, funny in bits and John Cena is very good as the title character. I've only really seen him before in The Peacemaker series, which is awesome, he's not the best actor in the world but he's very watchable. 6.5/10.

Went to see Dune part 2 in IMAX and i was blown away by the score and the cinematography in particular, even Walken reigns it in.  

Mika Harkinen is not looking well though, i have to say.

Unlike @Juniper i have not read the books so i had no preconceived idea about this or part one, probably why i was impressed as i was.  9/10 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, manwiththestick said:

And Blunt.

Im a big fan of her, arguably like her more than Margot Robbie but she’s not all that in this. Gisele has a small role…. Now she’s fucking lovely 

On 10/03/2024 at 11:41, manwiththestick said:

Ricky Stanicky. Made by one of the Farrelly brothers so you kinda know what type of humour you're going to get. A story of three lifelong friend who when younger they made up a four friend (title character) who got blamed for everything, in adult life they still use him as excuses to get out of things. When the wife of one has doubts over his existence, the three guys hire an actor to come to a large family event to pretend to be their lifelong buddy.

It's okay, funny in bits and John Cena is very good as the title character. I've only really seen him before in The Peacemaker series, which is awesome, he's not the best actor in the world but he's very watchable. 6.5/10.

7/10 for me.

Infantile humour but I found it funny. John Cena is a good comedy actor and his jizz songs were a highlight.

On 09/03/2024 at 09:38, Mook said:

But there are other people making good non-cookie cutter films which don't come across as contrived as his work.

SasaS doesn't strike me as the kind of chap who watches production line superhero films and romantic comedies tbh.

I think SasaS likes a bit of authoritarianism. He loved the Indian Police Covid videos I posted during lockdown.

If I was asking if he wanted to watch an in-flight movie I’d suggest Zero Dark Thirty. Bit of waterboarding. Bit of extra-judicial assassination. Throw in a bag of complimentary peanuts and a beer and you’re set.

1 minute ago, halewood pete said:

The Gentlemen 10/10

(Netflix)

Only seen the first two episodes so far,nice scouse villain connection too,Gus from breaking bad,vinny Jones,ray Winstone.

Officer Anubis from the Film Thread Police. This is a film thread, not a tv show thread. Consider it a warning this time, Mr Halewood, but any further indiscretions will result in prosecution.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I think SasaS likes a bit of authoritarianism. He loved the Indian Police Covid videos I posted during lockdown.

If I was asking if he wanted to watch an in-flight movie I’d suggest Zero Dark Thirty. Bit of waterboarding. Bit of extra-judicial assassination. Throw in a bag of complimentary peanuts and a beer and you’re set.

I'm more into kettling than one on one. If you have good Indian police kettling videos, I'd be interested.