You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The Guard - 7/10.

Some good stuff, but I couldn't help thinking 'well, this isn't as good as In Bruges' for most of it. It's well worth a watch but I think I was expecting too much.

Started watching antichrist with Willem Defoe and had to stop after 20 mins, it was like wiping your ass with treacle toilet paper.

I really liked that film.

If you would of finished it you would of seen it all come together, about the child and why sex was so significant throughout, it is needlessly used in places though without artistic merit, just controversy and titillation. It is essential to the story though.

You also get to see Charlotte Gainsbourg in the alltogether which has to be a plus point?

Seven big fat stars out of ten from this cinephile.

I really liked that film.

If you would of finished it you would of seen it all come together, about the child and why sex was so significant throughout, it is needlessly used in places though without artistic merit, just controversy and titillation. It is essential to the story though.

You also get to see Charlotte Gainsbourg in the alltogether which has to be a plus point?

Seven big fat stars out of ten from this cinephile.

I thought that was the whole point of the film. Otherwise I didn't get it.

I thought that was the whole point of the film. Otherwise I didn't get it.

There is a point to it and a story under it all, it's a shame Von Trier's is such a bad self publicist. I think it's well acted, from Defoe and Gainsberg it should be expected, and fantastically shot and produced. It's merits far exceed the hype as far as I'm concerned, but you can never escape Von Trier's modern day Dali impression.

A film like Dogtooth contains far more controversial material yet doesn't get the column inches because it's director doesn't feel the need to claim he's a Nazi in press conferences.

True Grit 8/10

Really enjoyed that, love a good western. To my memory I can't remember seeing the original so I have nothing to base it against, although Mrs Juniper is a fan of the John Wayne original and wasn't pleased with the ending.

Jeff Bridges played his part perfectly I thought. Really becoming a fan of his in recent times.

Perfect Sunday film.

It's a lot closer to the book than the Wayne version.

There is a point to it and a story under it all, it's a shame Von Trier's is such a bad self publicist. I think it's well acted, from Defoe and Gainsberg it should be expected, and fantastically shot and produced. It's merits far exceed the hype as far as I'm concerned, but you can never escape Von Trier's modern day Dali impression.

A film like Dogtooth contains far more controversial material yet doesn't get the column inches because it's director doesn't feel the need to claim he's a Nazi in press conferences.

I kinda got the impression he just wanted to shock and take the piss a bit. Some of the scenes were amazingly well shot though as you say, such as the dream sequence in the forest which was just beautiful. Others not so much, such as the talking fox. Which was hilarious. And reinforced my opinion that his main aim was taking the Michael. That said I did really enjoy it.

I kinda got the impression he just wanted to shock and take the piss a bit. Some of the scenes were amazingly well shot though as you say, such as the dream sequence in the forest which was just beautiful. Others not so much, such as the talking fox. Which was hilarious. And reinforced my opinion that his main aim was taking the Michael. That said I did really enjoy it.

I can certainly see where you're coming from, so much so I'm going to dust off the DVD and give it a watch tonight. I've not watched it in ages and maybe I'm thinking more about Gainsberg than meta-narratives. I'll report back later/tomorrow.

Due to the future Mrs S malfunctioning, and eschewing rationality last night, I couldn't watch it properly.

I still think that the point of the film though is to address female inhibitions, regards sex and sexuality. I think he hammers home the point, and does it well, but a few things were superfluous to the story, like the fox and the paraphernalia in the cabin. She had created a guilt around her own sexual wants, because of the incident in the first few scenes, without giving it away.

Yes he over egged it but it think the central point he's, admittedly hamfistedly, trying t make is made very well. I might have another watch in a few days when the future Mrs S moon cycle allows me grief free viewing.

"A Simple Man".

Tom Ford's directorial debut about a depressed (and perhaps repressed) lecturer mourning the loss of his partner.

As you would expect, it's beautifully shot and the clothes and styling are all sharp, Firth is good - also as you would expect - but the main problem is that fuck all happens.

I fell asleep before the end.

5.792 stars out of 10

Thought I'd check back in, been a busy couple of weeks.

Thor

Top class! Really, and I didn't think I'd ever say that, but for what it is (a comedy/action) then it's a real box-ticker.

Very similar to Iron Man in it's delivery, but with a few more openly funny moments.

Plus special effects/CGI action sequences were very good, some great baddies.

8.8/10

Attack the Block.

From one extreme to the other. I fucking detested this film and switched off after 45 minutes. Inner-City scrotes with knives, who initially rob a young girl, then take on aliens landing in some London estate. Cue a myriad of 'blood', 'innit', 'shizzle', 'merk', and every other facet of these modern-day Oliver Twist cunts, but with knives and shaved eye-brows.

Wanted them all to die, impossible to empathise. Cunts.

Nothing good to take from this film, soundtrack was wank, casting was wank, special effects were wank, action sequences were wank, and no tits.

1/10

Can't remember the others I've seen, will have a think.

Actually, started watching Inception again last night.

Much better the second time around, but still have questions.

As far as Di Caprio goes, I love him, I think he's a terrific actor and he's very clever with regard the films he chooses to do these days. Like De Niro, and I don't think it's a coincidence.

De Niro, in his younger days, didn't churn the films out like Eddie Murphy, or Mel Gibson, he was calm and chose carefully. He's getting in as many as he can NOW like, before he retires, but that's understandable.

I still prefer Shutter Island to Inception.

In fact, it's a thread in itself, what's your favourite Di Caprio film...so much to choose from.

Inception

Shutter Island

Body of Lies

Blood Diamond

The Departed

The Aviator

Gangs of New York

Catch Me If You Can

The Beach

As a second tier of his films, would make one list, but even the older films are still worth mentioning.

Titanic

What's Eating Gilbert Grape

The Basketball Diaries

Romeo + Juliet

The Quick and the Dead

In fact, it's a thread in itself, what's your favourite Di Caprio film...so much to choose from.

Inception

Shutter Island

Body of Lies

Blood Diamond

The Departed

The Aviator

Gangs of New York

Catch Me If You Can

The Beach

As a second tier of his films, would make one list, but even the older films are still worth mentioning.

Titanic

What's Eating Gilbert Grape

The Basketball Diaries

Romeo + Juliet

The Quick and the Dead

I think he has turned into a great actor. Basket Diaries is a brilliant film as is the Departed, Shutter Island, Inception and Blood Diamond

I can certainly see where you're coming from, so much so I'm going to dust off the DVD and give it a watch tonight. I've not watched it in ages and maybe I'm thinking more about Gainsberg than meta-narratives. I'll report back later/tomorrow.

Did you watch it? Did your views change at all? I'm gonna try watch it again this week and see if I still think it was all a big piss take

Rabbit hole - kidman and eckhart as a couple coming to terms with loss. Very well acted all in all but not much happens. 6.5/10

fair game - watts and penn about the build up to the war in iraq and how intelligence was manipulated. Good and did lead to an interesting discussion on the iraq war in our house. 6.5/10

submarine - english film about a kid growing up in wales who has to stop his mother falling into the clutches of a psychic. Quirky, some funny moments and well put together but lacked something.

127 hours - its been discussed loads but i didnt think it was as good as the hype. Enjoyed it though. 7/10