You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

the biggest transfer-disappointment

m0e

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

depends what you mean I guess - I know a lot of people have said Diouf but he came from nowhere after a decent world cup , brilliantly skillful player, couple of goals playing up top and then pushed out to the right wing to fit with Houlliers tactics - I thought he played ok tried hard, showed skill but was a headcase - can't say i was that disapointed with the transfer though given I'd never rreally heard of the guy before and Ged paid double for nearly every player we bought from the french league.....not that I think he was happy to give french football a boost more like he greatly over-rated that particular league

Again do you mean disapointment with thetransfer or the player - I was happy enough we signed him

Ziege was touted as the final piece in the puzzle - and had been great for Germany - but speaking to Boro fans they said he was unfit, lazy and couldn't defend - so I was disapointed we signed him but he fully met my expectations

then there are all the kids Sjolund, Harrison et al all the next big thing - all for one reason or another didn't make it - but I guess the fee means the dispointment didn't cost us much.......

Heskey disapointed - a big fee , incredible potential, having done well for a small club there was the thought at a big club he would fulfill that potential- he didn't - could understand the gamble but it didn't work

Cheyrou, Diao, Diomede, Camarra ,Song - cost too much, promised more and delivered little - all disapointments - you pick any of those I guess - disapointed with how they played but didn't have a clue about any of them

Kewell we paid peanuts for can he count? How can that transfer be a disapointment it was one of the best deals ever

Brad Freidal - never really given and chance and went on to be a great keeper in the Prem

Paul Stewart, David Speedie - eeek

Paul Walsh - thought he had everything and althoogh decent never took the final step to greatness that too was a disapointment

Depends what you mean if its waste of money in recent times then that has to be the cult which is King Igor - hardly played a decent full game , cost 7 million and was hyped as the best young player in europe

biggest ever transfer disapointment Gary Pallister - should have signed him from Boro when we had the chance and there would never have been a period of United dominance............

for me it would have to be heskey. he came on a big fee with a big reputation. if he was right in the head, he could be the best forward in the world (although that could also have been said about collymore). in his 1st full season, we got a glimpse of what was in store ... and do you remember his performance against munich in the super cup? he looked absolutely unstoppable. then it seemed his brain took over and it all fell apart and he spent the next 2 years on his arse looking for excuses.

i understand where everyone is coming from with diouf, but i didn't have that many expectations with him. he's without doubt our biggest waste of money. heskey was the biggest disappointment.

Folowing on from a comment by Vib, who says Cisse may be the biggest transfer-disappointment ever, i'd like to know who else might be a contender.

Mark Kennedy has been mentioned.

I'd go for Collymore...

THAT BOGARDE FROM CHELSEA.HE HAS PLAYED NO GAMES AND HAS ADMITTED HE IS HAPPY PICKING UP £45,000 FOR DOING NOTHING

THAT BOGARDE FROM CHELSEA.HE HAS PLAYED NO GAMES AND HAS ADMITTED HE IS HAPPY PICKING UP £45,000 FOR DOING NOTHING

Don't exaggerate, he played loads of games. He managed, on average, one start a year over his four year contract. In the process he earned £8,240,000.

Seriously, Paul Stewart, Dean Saunders and Nigel Clough were the worst ones for me in a dark, dark age of transfer handlings. Can't really remember any really succesful signings from either Souness or Evans when I think about it... I'll go along with El Hadji Diouf in more recent times, but the way I felt when I little by little realised our empire had fallen I'll hopefully never feel again...

Seriously, Paul Stewart, Dean Saunders and Nigel Clough were the worst ones for me in a dark, dark age of transfer handlings. Can't really remember any really succesful signings from either Souness or Evans when I think about it... I'll go along with El Hadji Diouf in more recent times, but the way I felt when I little by little realised our empire had fallen I'll hopefully never feel again...

Souness bought Redknapp and Rob Jones.

Don't exaggerate, he played loads of games. He managed, on average, one start a year over his four year contract. In the process he earned £8,240,000.

Agreed, as i remember he was a free transfer, thats why he was on the big wages, but am sure I read somewhere that he was actually living in Amsterdam and commuting for training.....shockin

Souness bought Redknapp and Rob Jones.

I'll give you Rob Jones, although his career never turned out the way I wanted it to (and before you say that's not Souness' fault I'll tell you that it is!!) Same thing with Redknapp really, injuries hindered him from having a great career (although he would never have risen to the level of Gerrard/Alonso) instead of a decent one...

Back to Souness and injuries: There has to be something with his training regime that's seriously messed up. I remember Bjornebye (ah- those were the days :no ) being in complete shock as to how old-fashioned the training methods and equipment were when he came to Liverpool (Norway is, in spite of all our average footballers, quite a leading nation in training methods/expertise,- hence us being top of the leaderboard in most winter WCs/Olympics), and that was back in 91 I think. Countless hamstring and Achilles injuries later, I'll bet you he hasn't changed much (particularily not the physio!!!)

Emile Heskey, El Hadji Diouf, Sean Dundee, Christian Ziege, Chris Kirkland, Josemi, Fernando Morientes, Salif Diao, Igor Biscan, Erik Meijer, Peter Crouch ;)

Seeing as how you started the most relentlessly negative & prejudicial one-man campaign against him from at least a month before he signed, I can only assume your disappointment comes from having to acknowledge his talent.

Seeing as how you started the most relentlessly negative & prejudicial one-man campaign against him from at least a month before he signed, I can only assume your disappointment comes from having to acknowledge his talent.

Now, that's just unfair, Paul, and I'm surprised and disappointed in you for making such a remark.

It was a two-man campaign, as well you know.

Now, that's just unfair, Paul, and I'm surprised and disappointed in you for making such a remark.

It was a two-man campaign, as well you know.

Then they shed half their membership. Now that Crouch hasn't scored for a few games and looks in desperate need of a rest, Rashid has decided he was right all along, even though he essentially admitted a few weeks back that he was wrong about Crouch. Do keep up, difficult as it can be..

Then they shed half their membership. Now that Crouch hasn't scored for a few games and looks in desperate need of a rest, Rashid has decided he was right all along, even though he essentially admitted a few weeks back that he was wrong about Crouch. Do keep up, difficult as it can be..

Sorry, I've lost track amid my fruitless attempts to put him on Ignore.