You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why the home national sides are shit

bri

last weekend there were 116 British and Irish players out of the 220 that started games. For the corresponding weekend in the Premiership last season, there were 117; in the 2003-04 campaign there were 121; and in 2002-03 there were 119.

This country hasn't always been a big importer of players from abroad and certainly not to the extent it is now. Didn't win very much before though.

Germany seem to have a similar league to our own in that they have plenty of home grown players along with a lot of imported players. I think the fact that our National sides under achieve is down to the fact that we haven't had a decent manager in my life time.

Any England manager of the past 30 years even won anything worth mentioning?

Presumably you mean at club level? Bobby Robson's record is pretty good.

Venables won the Spanish league

I guess I should have elaborated. Spain is generally a two horse race so winning anything as a manager of Barcelona or Real Madrid doesn't count. Same goes for Holland with Ajax and PSV.

Otherwise Souness would be deemed a brilliant manager because he won titles in Scotland. Same as Walter Smith.

The FA Should offer Arsene Wenger double what they currently pay Sven. England would be worth watching again.

Never been one to agree totally with the bollocks about importerd payers ruining natiopnal leagues.

Imported players never seems to have affected Italy too much in major competitions and the exportation of top Brazilians and Argentinians to the European leagues never seems to have prevented them from doing well in WC's.

Albertini.

Italy:

2002 knocked out 2nd round

1998 knocked out 1/4 finals

1994 beaten in final

1990 beaten in semi final

1986 knocked out 2nd round

1982 won world cup (i'll give you that one.)

Euro's

1984 - Did not qualify

1988 - Semifinals

1992 - Did not qualify

1996 - Round 1

2000 - Runners-up

2004 - Round 1

Need I go on. Anyway we all know that whilst Ital has some of the best food in the world, football wise it's like watching potatos grow.

If you look at the amount of foreign nationals at Celtic & Rangers over the last decade your gonna tell me that doesnt effect the scotland team.

I guess I should have elaborated. Spain is generally a two horse race so winning anything as a manager of Barcelona or Real Madrid doesn't count. Same goes for Holland with Ajax and PSV.

Even after your exclusions, Bobby Robson's record still stands out