You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atalanta (H) - EL Quarter Final, 1st leg - Thu 11th Apr 2024 (8:00pm)

Oh, and as has been said above, well done Atalanta. They were good. 

But, all 3 goals were preventable and came from mistakes. Kelleher should save the first. The lack of marking for the second is criminal. And Szoboszlai gives it away far too cheaply for the third. 

Van Dijk is right to highlight the sloppiness with the ball. But, his defending for the third is awful. Lazy, casual. No urgency to get out. Yards deeper than everyone else and plays everyone onside. 

I think we’ve done better in the league than everyone expected this season. But, as @Redder Lurtz said above, it definitely looks like a bit of a rebuild is needed. 

36 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Endo has been atrocious tonight.

he was.  So were MacAllister, Jones, Harvey and Szob.  All utter shit.  All the forwards were crap.  Tsimikas, Gomez, Robertson all crap.  Centre backs fucking useless.  Kelleher poor.  Onwards and upwards.  

We’ve been tactically shite for ages.  The “getting the extra man in midfield by pulling a full back inside” needs to die a fucking horrible death.  We are obsessed with it and it makes us lopsided.  It’s horrible to watch and provides no benefit.  We were top of the league in spite of it.

We play on momentum and always have done yet we start every game with the same tactical mess that causes us to play everything safe and slow which then ends up being risky and slow.

Van Dijk jogging to that ball that he got nicked off him in the first 10 minutes or so set the tone for the rest of the night.  It just feels like everyone thinks it’s too easy.  We have loads of shots but it feels like we don’t create chances from building with the ball so when sides take a lead and can defend then we struggle.

It needs shaking up which is mental considering how few games are left.  If we don’t get away from these tactics then the season is going to fall to bits.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

My point is that every time one of our forwards  has missed a chance in the late 2 months the lad show went a year without a goal has been built up into a hybrid of rush, lewandoski and van basten. He gets a pass, but so do others 

Which is a good point imo. 

8 minutes ago, mike23 said:

We looked like we approached the game thinking we just had to turn up to win and then couldn't get out of that mindset.

The team sheet didn't help with the mind set all we had to do was turn up. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

Rebuild? With what?

With whatever daft money we get from some Saudi cunts for Mo, from PSG for Diaz and with the fifty quid we get from Stoke for Nunez. 

Well deserved loss against a much better team. 180 minutes now without a goal from open play.

Klopp`s handling of the players has been terrible lately and take away the little rest of hope of a miracle in the league. MacAllister never get a rest. It was sad to see him tonight; he looked knackered, and now he will not be fresh for the match on sunday.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

What injuries? Almost everyone was back tonight. 

That was my point, probably didnt get it across in a good way. All the injuries during the season combined with too many games, means too many of our players probably are way off their best form and shape. The fact that their fit to play doesnt mean that they’re ready to perform at their maximum. 

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Bloke in front of me in the bogs dropped his guts diabolically and I had to stand in his rancid fug for my half-time piss.

This night has to get better.

*Morgan Freeman narrating*

But it did not get better.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

I've got you on ignore for a reason pinbadge Pete. You make out like your shite doesn't stink, but you're just a cunt.

Who the fuck do you think you are to say who should and shouldn't complain about the team? Who fucking died and made you king shit?

Hadaway and shite.

You are a crank sometimes, to be fair.

4 minutes ago, Moo said:

Rebuild? With what?

Fees for players sold and wages freed up (for arguments sake Salah, Núñez, Gakpo, Kelleher, Gomez, Matip, Thiago)

The usual transfer kitty from TV revenue, prize money, Champions League revenue etc. 

We’ll have spending ability over the summer. 

1 minute ago, Redder Lurtz said:

With whatever daft money we get from some Saudi cunts for Mo, from PSG for Diaz and with the fifty quid we get from Stoke for Nunez. 

Don't think we'll get daft money for Salah now, £40-50m at best? Diaz would get a decent wedge but you're probably talking £70m ish.  Pure guesswork of course but other than Trent, who'll only have a year on his contract so it's debatable, I can't see any of our players pushing £100m.

Andy Robbo can pick his wages up.

The rest of the half-arsed, half-asleep, bone idle gobshites want their arses kicking from here to Christmas.  That's inexcusable and unforgivable.

Klopp's last European night at Anfield.  Brafuckingvo, dickheads.

A rude awakening and then some. We need a fucking miracle in Bergamo now.

We were not quite as poor as in the Anfield fixture against this lot back in 2020 (we created nothing all night in that one), but here we were wasteful with the handful of decent chances created. There was so much tiredness of mind on display out there, it's frankly alarming.

So many players just not at the races. Kostas looked like a player who hasn't had much game time recently. Joe was making too many poor decisions on the ball and could never offer us an outlet. Virg wanted to coast through a game against a side looking to pin us down. Poorest performance from Endo in a while. Curtis, like Kostas, was off the pace and conceded possession cheaply too many times. Darwin was making daft decisions without offering his unique brand of chaos to compensate. And for once, the subs couldn't make a telling impact. Mo looks like he's holding back a little. Lucho was game but couldn't affect the game. Diogo got into some good positions but never had the ball drop favourably. Dom's dithering proved very costly.

I thought Cody looked up for it at the start and he was the pick of our forwards line, but that's not saying much as ultimately he never got himself into any goalscoring situations. When Jurgen summoned the cavalry, Cody faded away. Ibou put himself about but was far busier than he would like to be.

For all the goals we score generally, we are pretty wasteful as a whole. So many attempts that are on target lack either the power or the precision to test a goalkeeper. They looked scuffed. The ones that are hit cleanly also lack direction.

If you are Joe Gomez, you should not be attempting a shot at goal from 30 yards. That decision was as stupid as Lovren's 40-yarder into orbit all those years ago when we were chasing an equaliser.

You have to try and find some positives from somewhere. Something that we can cling on to. It will take something monumental in Bergamo for that to happen. Right now I would rather we make the right decisions and be crisp and clinical when attacking, and cut out all the stupid shit defensively.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

I'm done. I was binning it off at the end of the season anyway, but the season ended tonight.

The players can't be arsed, so fucked if I am.

See you all on the GF.

You haven’t been arsed for a long time tbh. Don’t go the game , don’t watch it . You just park your arse in here and moan.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Judge said:

Well deserved loss against a much better team. 180 minutes now without a goal from open play.

Klopp`s handling of the players has been terrible lately and take away the little rest of hope of a miracle in the league. MacAllister never get a rest. It was sad to see him tonight; he looked knackered, and now he will not be fresh for the match on sunday.

Exactly what I was just saying to my mate.

Why start Konate if he cannot fucking play 2 games in a week? Why not Gomez in the middle with Bradley as RB?

Why fucking Mac when he has been playing every minute? He ended up finishing the game !!!