You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atalanta (H) - EL Quarter Final, 1st leg - Thu 11th Apr 2024 (8:00pm)

2 minutes ago, Freddo said:

The money from Mo, Alli and Virgil 

What do you think they would bring in? I'd guess £120-150m combined.  Would barely start a rebuild.

1 minute ago, Trumo said:

A rude awakening and then some. We need a fucking miracle in Bergamo now.

We were not quite as poor as in the Anfield fixture against this lot back in 2020 (we created nothing all night in that one), but here we were wasteful with the handful of decent chances created. There was so much tiredness of mind on display out there, it's frankly alarming.

So many players just not at the races. Kostas looked like a player who hasn't had much game time recently. Joe was making too many poor decisions on the ball and could never offer us an outlet. Virg wanted to coast through a game against a side looking to pin us down. Poorest performance from Endo in a while. Curtis, like Kostas, was off the pace and conceded possession cheaply too many times. Darwin was making daft decisions without offering his unique brand of chaos to compensate. And for once, the subs couldn't make a telling impact. Mo looks like he's holding back a little. Lucho was game but couldn't affect the game. Diogo got into some good positions but never had the ball drop favourably. Dom's dithering proved very costly.

I thought Cody looked up for it at the start and he was the pick of our forwards line, but that's not saying much as ultimately he never got himself into any goalscoring situations. When Jurgen summoned the cavalry, Cody faded away. Ibou put himself about but was far busier than he would like to be.

For all the goals we score generally, we are pretty wasteful as a whole. So many attempts that are on target lack either the power or the precision to test a goalkeeper. They looked scuffed. The ones that are hit cleanly also lack direction.

If you are Joe Gomez, you should not be attempting a shot at goal from 30 yards. That decision was as stupid as Lovren's 40-yarder into orbit all those years ago when we were chasing an equaliser.

You have to try and find some positives from somewhere. Something that we can cling on to. It will take something monumental in Bergamo for that to happen. Right now I would rather we make the right decisions and be crisp and clinical when attacking, and cut out all the stupid shit defensively.

When did we last look crisps and clinical? Brentford away maybe?

6 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

It could hurt mentally. Jones and Elliot could feek down, they were no good but the issue was more about the general attitude wasn’t it ? 

Yeah, feeling our way into games is a bad habit. Can get away with it against shite, not these.

• Upvote 1

Just coming back now and that’s a major embarrassment.

From up in the rafters you could see how static we were. We didn’t move, passing was off from everyone.

Said it until I’m blue in the face but these lads have an attitude problem at times and it reared itself again tonight.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moo said:

What do you think they would bring in? I'd guess £120-150m combined.  Would barely start a rebuild.

No idea. 200. I’d imagine Mo will sit on his contract until he goes free. We don’t need a rebuild anyhow but we do need a centre forward and a centre back. Two key areas that must be tightened up. 

Just now, BeefStroganoff said:

From up in the rafters you could see how static we were. We didn’t move, passing was off from everyone.

Said it until I’m blue in the face but these lads have an attitude problem at times and it reared itself again tonight.

I think this is more than fair. We thought we’d roll them easily. That’s arrogance and attitude. 

6 minutes ago, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

Fees for players sold and wages freed up (for arguments sake Salah, Núñez, Gakpo, Kelleher, Gomez, Matip, Thiago)

The usual transfer kitty from TV revenue, prize money, Champions League revenue etc. 

We’ll have spending ability over the summer. 

We always spend something, it won't be anywhere near enough for a rebuild.

16 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Atlanta deserved it with how hard they worked & clinical they were.

Even though we were shite absolute shite we had chances to put 2 / 3 chances away Nunez is killing us not being more clinical & us not being able to keep a clean sheet. 

I wouldn't be shocked if the next manager moved him on. He'd be fine off the bench but not a guaranteed starter.

1 minute ago, Moo said:

A bit more, but you have to buy before you sell. 

Earlier in the season Mo looked like mid-80’s Kenny - no longer a goal machine but a creator and provider. The last three weeks he’s been trying to do that from a very very wide position. Nice balls in behind but in areas where the receiver has a lot to do and with no Mo in the. Box. We have to find a way ringer him more central because he’s offering diddly square as a slow winger.  

3 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Mentality monsters have turned into arrogant pussies

Rebuild talk is way premature, but a few of these players need to understand how fast they'd be bombed out if they do this with the next manager. Some of them should already know they need to play well to stay.

It's not good enough to tap it around and wait for someone else to win you the game, YOU have to do something. Whether it's hit the target, take care of the ball, make sure you hit the pass properly or even just fucking move,.we have been well off it recently.

• Upvote 5

The energy and aggression from everyone in that ground tonight was non-existent. Everyone turned up thinking it was a formality. They weren't even good but could have scored 5 or 6.

Out worst home European performance since the early 90s. To everyone who thought the Europa League was a hindrance I hope you're right. Otherwise we'll be waving Jurgen off while City or Arsenal lift the league.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Atlanta deserved it with how hard they worked & clinical they were.

Even though we were shite absolute shite we had chances to put 2 / 3 chances away Nunez is killing us not being more clinical & us not being able to keep a clean sheet. 

I'm genuinely sick of our dreadful finishing and poor decision making in the final third. It's been an issue throughout the season despite all the goals we've scored, but it seems to have been ramped up to 11 ever since the first trip to Old Trafford. The Brighton game should have been so much more comfortable than it was. Sunday's league game at Old Trafford was an absolute joke. As bad as we were tonight, we had more than enough chances to end the game with a very different score line. It's infuriating that just as we hit the business end of the season and need players to step up, instead the forwards seem to be suffering a collective confidence crisis. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

Rebuild talk is way premature, but a few of these players need to understand how fast they'd be bombed out if they do this with the next manager. Some of them should already know they need to play well to stay.

It's not good enough to tap it around and wait for someone else to win you the game, YOU have to do something. Whether it's hit the target, take care of the ball, make sure you hit the pass properly or even just fucking move,.we have been well off it recently.

That’s why I still give Darwin credit - he takes it upon himself to do shut, even if it’s often not up to standard.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

A long time since I’ve hated nothing about a team who beat us, we got what we deserved. Nowt.

I agree. They were the better side. Can’t think of too many teams who’ve come to Anfield, in front of fans, and had the better chances, won the 50/50s and their keeper have a fairly comfortable night.

12 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Andy Robbo can pick his wages up.

The rest of the half-arsed, half-asleep, bone idle gobshites want their arses kicking from here to Christmas.  That's inexcusable and unforgivable.

Klopp's last European night at Anfield.  Brafuckingvo, dickheads.

not for his part in the second goal he can't.  Fucking awful, just like the rest of them.