You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd (A) - Sun 7th Apr 2024 (3:30pm)

It's football, sometimes the better team doesn't win.

We were MILES better than United today, but finishing is more of a random number generator thing than a mentality or narrative thing, no matter how much we want to pretend otherwise.

The disappointing this is that an unlucky day of finishing has put a massive dent in our title chances, but then, you can think of about 5 games this season where you didn't think we were winning them on 80 minutes, and we did. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us now go on to win all 7 remaining games, to be honest, and pip City to the title.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Are you sure? 

We have had a team over the last while (say 6 odd years) that have been demonstrably been better than Manchester United and we've managed two victories over about 11 games at Old Trafford. One of which was behind closed doors, and the other was a major blow out at the fag end of a poor managers reign.

I think the club need to really dig into this, I don't particularly get the impression much has been done on it, given how often it looks like the approach is looks like 'just think of it as another league game'.

I do agree but if you remember we never won there in the whole of the 1980s

2 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

We were MILES better than United today, but finishing is more of a random number generator thing than a mentality or narrative thing, no matter how much we want to pretend otherwise.

The disappointing this is that an unlucky day of finishing has put a massive dent in our title chances, but then, you can think of about 5 games this season where you didn't think we were winning them on 80 minutes, and we did. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us now go on to win all 7 remaining games, to be honest, and pip City to the title.

This would be true if our record at Old Trafford wasn't so consistently dire. It basically doesn't matter how we perform (though we are often poor) the result almost always end up being the same (i.e. they win around 50+% of the time and we get a draw around 30% of the time, if we're exceptionally lucky and they are in a melt down state or get a red card then we might win).

As stated in the other posts I don't know why people so quickly waft this off as 'oh sometimes you get no luck' or 'we just didn't finish today'. The club for a long time has had real difficulties getting positive results at the venue regardless of the respective strengths and abilities of the teams playing, number of chances etc., that should send off a bit of a klaxon. Instead I don't get the impression much is being done about it.

1 minute ago, Dapower said:

I do agree but if you remember we never won there in the whole of the 1980s

We won there in 82' but your point is correct, perhaps this requires a bit of introspection?

Is there something as club we can do about the approach to the games there? As we are at least going to get one per season for the foreseeable.

11 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

The problem with that is that United are basically the easiest team in the league to outplay in a given game. It's not some incredible achievement. Between the boxes especially, they allow an unbelievable amount of space just in the way they play.

26 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

No doubt those gut-bucketed fried chicken Gooner devotees, Slobbo and Fucko, or whatever they call themselves, when they're not trying to pretend they're really from Jamaica, excite themselves, in the absence of any women venturing into their oily-paunched personal spaces, to the point where they're almost dribbling ready for Piers Morgan to do his worst with them. They can feck off into the fantastic metaverse they came from, and be haunted forevermore with celestrial re-runs of George Graham's team 'going through the motions' while their own chants of 'HOOF!' bleeds their ears.

IMG_3320.gif

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

The problem with that is that United are basically the easiest team in the league to outplay in a given game. It's not some incredible achievement. Between the boxes especially, they allow an unbelievable amount of space just in the way they play.

So you’re saying we need to maybe put the ball actually in their goal hole a bit too? Interesting.

3 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

We won there in 82' but your point is correct, perhaps this requires a bit of introspection?

Is there something as club we can do about the approach to the games there? As we are at least going to get one per season for the foreseeable.

Yes we did silly me but maybe it’s been klopps approach to the games there bit like ones at the etihad I don’t know 

Just now, Trojan1892 said:

Can’t wait for Jota to come back 

I can't wait for the club to prioritise correctly the games Konate plays in, the last time he started at Old Trafford we won 5-0.

Diogo coming back would seriously help though too.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, HazelyCosmicJove said:

Remember also that Mo is observing Ramadan, and that, unlike the mid-week game, he wasn't able to break his fast during the game, maybe even unable to take on fluids at half-time. Not sure how it works but it can only have impaired his performance.

Do you think this should be taken into consideration when picking the team and managing his minutes while Ramadan is ongoing because I think it's a factor 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I do think we can win them all the one I’m worried about is Villa 

2 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Well that's bollocks, I was an Anfield regular during the post 2001 Houllier dark days, and this team today are a bunch of fucking bottlers.

2 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Agreed, but he'll never win another trophy with us.

Genuine question mate - I can be negative more than most about LFC in the modern age, but you seem to genuinely hate them all. Why do you bother?

22 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Do you think this should be taken into consideration when picking the team and managing his minutes while Ramadan is ongoing because I think it's a factor 

Should be taken into consideration when discussing breach of contract, purposefully sabotaging his own performance.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Curly said:

Genuine question mate - I can be negative more than most about LFC in the modern age, but you seem to genuinely hate them all. Why do you bother?

As I mentioned in a reply to @BeefStroganoff in a post yesterday, I'm hoping this is my last season.

It's a tough drug to quit though, despite the shitness of modern football.

It may be easier now than before, my kids aren't interested, nor is my wife, and now that my dad is gone there's nobody else I talk to about it regularly outside of the forum.

I've never used drugs and I'm not a big drinker, the only thing I've been addicted to is this fucking game.

6 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

As I mentioned in a reply to @BeefStroganoff in a post yesterday, I'm hoping this is my last season.

It's a tough drug to quit though, despite the shitness of modern football.

It may be easier now than before, my kids aren't interested, nor is my wife, and now that my dad is gone there's nobody else I talk to about it regularly outside of the forum.

I've never used drugs and I'm not a big drinker, the only thing I've been addicted to is this fucking game.

Yeah, I get that mate. I tell people how I’m not arsed all the time - have been doing gradually more and more with increased conviction ever since Kenny left really, but I still have that love in there that rules my emotions with it all!

My lad is only 4, so a lot will depend on how arsed he is I suppose from now on.

Following the successor next season will keep me involved I imagine, but I’m fully and emotionally into this current sequence!

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

That's why it's Quansah's fault, really. Once it's 1-1, you have to chase the game again and Man United have genuinely thrived against us when the game is open, to their credit. They are one of the few teams where we have been outgunned when the game is that way. 

But if the Quansah mistake doesn't happen, we could have continued keeping them at arms length.

Quansah didn’t miss millions of glorious sitters.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Judge said:

Klopp saying that this was one point gained rather than two points lost. A bit Ten Haguesqe that. Stupid comment, and he knows much better.

He said “I’m really sorry to say it but we should have won both games [after losing in the Cup] and didn’t. That’s our fault.”