You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Things About Football That Make You Realise You’re Old As Fuck Thread

4 hours ago, deiseach said:

I remember scoffing at the carpet slippers and pipe brigade in the Main Stand. Life comes at you fast.

My mars in her 70s and still goes in the kop. She tells people off if they get on the players backs.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Le Duan said:

Also went to Sir Roger’s testimonial - 55,000 crowd - mental!

IMG_1376.png

My dad ( and quite a few more adults ) bribed the Boys Pen turnstile operator a quid to get in that night. The guy must have done very well out of it.

My dad never quite forgave me for having my confirmation on the same night as Bill Shankly's testimonial a few years later.

6 hours ago, sir roger said:

My dad ( and quite a few more adults ) bribed the Boys Pen turnstile operator a quid to get in that night. The guy must have done very well out of it.

My dad never quite forgave me for having my confirmation on the same night as Bill Shankly's testimonial a few years later.

I just never turned up for my confirmation. A Christening and Holy Communion were as much shite as I could take.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I just never turned up for my confirmation. A Christening and Holy Communion were as much shite as I could take.

You were obviously not as scared of Monsignor Doran's cane ( and other things  ).

12 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

Haven't seen David Fairclough come off the bench recently.

Is he injured?

Went to the same school as him, Evered Avenue in Walton. He was sixth form whilst I was in the first year. Remember a five-a-side tournament where teams from each year played each other. Lower years got goal starts based on the year-gap. Our team got a five goal start and in 5 minutes we were 6-5 down and Fairclough had scored them all. Fucking flat track bully!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

After much Googling I discovered the testimonial game that I can just about remember going to. My mum took me - Gerry Byrne - think it was Steve Heighway’s first game for Liverpool. Can anyone confirm that please?

IMG_1383.png

17 hours ago, sir roger said:

If I was with my dad I went on the Kop, but on my own I started my supporting mainly in the Boys Pen. You would never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Slightly later at about 14 I started going away on the notorious football specials, being marched through boring city centres being gawked at by peasants, bricked by mutants  and walloped by police, and I loved it all.

The other week I was offered a free ticket for one of the Europa hone games with a promised lift door to door, and couldn't be arsed because it was cold. I have become a disgrace to our wonderful club.

Doesn’t quite work to In My Life but I like it 

22 hours ago, Dapower said:

Getting my first Yearbook from the souvenir shop back of the kop 1985

I was mesmerised by the old club shop advert in the back of the programme of that era.

Fuck knows why, they only sold the odd scarf, hat or a scale model of the ground. 

It was the model that I taken by, the different colour seats and the standing area of the Anny Road specifically.

It was probably about £50, but it seemed a fortune then, wish I’d have had enough to buy one!

9 hours ago, RJ Fan club said:

I was mesmerised by the old club shop advert in the back of the programme of that era.

Fuck knows why, they only sold the odd scarf, hat or a scale model of the ground. 

It was the model that I taken by, the different colour seats and the standing area of the Anny Road specifically.

It was probably about £50, but it seemed a fortune then, wish I’d have had enough to buy one!

I had the model ground the flagpole end of the kop looked like the sunken bow of the titanic plenty of superglue holding it in place too

8 hours ago, Dapower said:

I had the model ground the flagpole end of the kop looked like the sunken bow of the titanic plenty of superglue holding it in place too

That’s ruined a near 40 year old dream!!!

but the 7 ye old me would still get one 

On 15/03/2024 at 12:48, Le Duan said:

After much Googling I discovered the testimonial game that I can just about remember going to. My mum took me - Gerry Byrne - think it was Steve Heighway’s first game for Liverpool. Can anyone confirm that please?

IMG_1383.png

It was indeed Heighway‘s first game, I remember how quick he was when he first got the ball. Came on at haif time I think. I think it was half a crown to get in the kop when I first went it was 3 bob for a good while. I eventually graduated from the kop to the paddock, by the trainers‘ box. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Peter Cormack said:

It was indeed Heighway‘s first game, I remember how quick he was when he first got the ball. Came on at haif time I think. I think it was half a crown to get in the kop when I first went it was 3 bob for a good while. I eventually graduated from the kop to the paddock, by the trainers‘ box. 

I started in the boys pen ,a place full of pond life, graduated to the Kop from there , Happy days . Took my youngest brother to his first game and we stood in the paddock v Sunderland.