You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Things About Football That Make You Realise You’re Old As Fuck Thread

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

15 years ago. What. A. Fucking. Day 

IMG_2406.jpeg

I remember watching this at home, my missus upstairs in early labour saying we need to get in the car to the women's hospital, we went just after the final whistle.

My youngest was born in the early hours after.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, Bob said:

I'm taking my girl to her first match tonight. Here she is last night in my.old.shirt from 92.

20240313_203238.jpg

2 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Paying £2.80 (or something close to that) for a child's ticket on the Kop. To watch the current champions.

Nonce 

2 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I remember watching this at home, my missus upstairs in early labour saying we need to get in the car to the women's hospital, we went just after the final whistle.

My eldest was born in the early hours the day before he scored on his debut against Chelsea. Mrs Tash kicked me out of the maternity ward to go and watch it in the pub next to the hospital. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Ha ha, you cheeky cunt. It's bad enough I can remember £2.80 tickets.

Just saying mate. Haha

I stood on the old Kop a couple of times as a kid (hope you weren’t there) but I’d give anything to be in that sway as an adult. Nothing beats going the match. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I was alive when everton last won a trophy.

I'm older than Alonso.

I was 11 and remember watching it in my dad’s pub and everyone red and blue dancing outside afterwards. 

How times change. 

2 hours ago, Bob said:

I'm taking my girl to her first match tonight. Here she is last night in my.old.shirt from 92.

20240313_203238.jpg

We're not going. I've been laid up all week with norovirus or something similar and my optimism has just been beaten by realism that I'm just not up to tye drive.

She's not arsed. I'm gutted.

• Upvote 1

We used to go ‘borrowing’ empty beer crates, then transport them via National Express to Anfield. 

Queued up outside, then onto the centre of the Kop as soon as the turnstiles opened. Positioned ourselves in front of a barrier and stood on the crates so we could get a decent spec, whilst being ‘in amongst it.

It was magical. 

As time passed, we moved to the top left hand corner of the Kop then, once the seats came, to the Upper Centenary. 

These days the idea of actually going to a match rarely appeals.

Modern football is a bollocks and I’m a miserable ageing cunt. It’s not a marriage made in heaven. 

I’d still shag it on the side on occasion mind. Barcelona would have been great, one or two others as well. 

• Upvote 2

Black football boots. They seem to be every other colour but black these days.

More matches used to be played simultaneously, rather than staggered to create a 'Super Sunday' hype-fest.

Jumpers for goalposts. Marvellous.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

At least you’ve got something to help you remember your youngest’s birthday.

1 hour ago, Bob said:

We're not going. I've been laid up all week with norovirus or something similar and my optimism has just been beaten by realism that I'm just not up to tye drive.

She's not arsed. I'm gutted.

Big match beaut.

• Upvote 3