You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (N) - EFL Cup Final, Sun 25th Feb 2024 (3:00pm)

Trumo

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I've just spent 20 minutes on my lunch hour deciding to work out the numbers for myself as I know absolutely nothing about Chelsea's players (other than that they are chronic losers) and have genuinely not heard of a lot of them prior to being Chelsea players.

Transfer Fees taken from Transfermarkt, career minutes played taken from FBRef

Bold is either the lower age, lower minutes played or lower fee.

Starting XIs: 

Average Age: Chelsea - 22.82 vs Liverpool - 24.91

Total Career Mins: Chelsea - 143,860 vs Liverpool - 180,945

Total Purchase Value: Chelsea - €516.40m vs Liverpool - €326.35m

Ending XIs:

Average Age: Chelsea - 20.27 vs Liverpool - 23.45

Total Career Mins: Chelsea - 96,649 vs Liverpool - 124,593

Total Purchase Value: Chelsea - €422.0m vs Liverpool - €171.25m

Total (Starters plus subs)

Average Age: Chelsea - 22.87 vs Liverpool - 23.53

Total Career Mins: Chelsea - 182,945 vs Liverpool - 212,995

Total Purchase Value: Chelsea - €681.40 vs Liverpool - €344.25

Subs (Total)

Average Age: Chelsea - 23.0 vs Liverpool - 21.00

Total Career Mins: Chelsea - 39,085 vs Liverpool - 32,500

Total Purchase Value: Chelsea - €165.00m vs Liverpool - €17.90m

Subs (Average - Chelsea made 4 subs, Liverpool made 6)

Total Career Mins: Chelsea - 9,771.25 vs Liverpool - 5,416.67

Total Purchase Value: Chelsea - €41.25m vs Liverpool - €2.98m

I know I'm probably not telling anyone anything they didn't already know or appreciate, but I thought it was interesting, personally.

A quirk, which introduces a couple of outliers...

One Liverpool sub, Gomez, played over 90 minutes as he was a replacement for the Injured Gravenberch. 

One Chelsea sub, Chalobah, played only 7 minutes, replacing Chilwell (presumably because he was frightened of taking a penalty the big shithouse).

IF those two subs were removed from the sub analysis (daft I know, as Gomez definitely gets brought on ahead of kids elsewhere in the mix, but its a bit of fun) those numbers become...

Subs (Average - Chelsea now made 3 subs, Liverpool now made 5)

Average Age: Chelsea - 22.67 vs Liverpool - 20.00

Total Career Mins: Chelsea - 6,497.5 vs Liverpool - 2,718.6

Total Purchase Value: Chelsea - €55.0m vs Liverpool - €2.60m

For those interested, according to FBRef, these are the total career minutes played for our subs:

Clark: 175

Quansah: 2,775 (of which half (1,372) were in League 1 for Bristol Rovers)

Tsimikas: 13,212

McConnell: 134

Gomez: 16,188

Danns: 36

• Upvote 2

I’ve not read any of this thread yet but I am looking forward to later. 

https://x.com/LFC/status/1762085100358185131?s=20

I was lucky again in the ballot and me and my son went. Honestly, it was just like at that stage everyone just thought “eff It”. They need us and we need to help them and gave it everything.

Was a very special moment, one of the best for me.

I’ve got goosebumps watching this, me and the boy sang that with everything we had. One of my favourite finals I’ve been to. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Bob said:

I've just spent 20 minutes on my lunch hour deciding to work out the numbers for myself as I know absolutely nothing about Chelsea's players (other than that they are chronic losers) and have genuinely not heard of a lot of them prior to being Chelsea players.

Transfer Fees taken from Transfermarkt, career minutes played taken from FBRef

Bold is either the lower age, lower minutes played or lower fee.

Starting XIs: 

Average Age: Chelsea - 22.82 vs Liverpool - 24.91

Total Career Mins: Chelsea - 143,860 vs Liverpool - 180,945

Total Purchase Value: Chelsea - €516.40m vs Liverpool - €326.35m

Ending XIs:

Average Age: Chelsea - 20.27 vs Liverpool - 23.45

Total Career Mins: Chelsea - 96,649 vs Liverpool - 124,593

Total Purchase Value: Chelsea - €422.0m vs Liverpool - €171.25m

Total (Starters plus subs)

Average Age: Chelsea - 22.87 vs Liverpool - 23.53

Total Career Mins: Chelsea - 182,945 vs Liverpool - 212,995

Total Purchase Value: Chelsea - €681.40 vs Liverpool - €344.25

Subs (Total)

Total Career Mins: Chelsea - 39,085 vs Liverpool - 32,500

Total Purchase Value: Chelsea - €165.00m vs Liverpool - €17.90m

Subs (Average - Chelsea made 4 subs, Liverpool made 6)

Total Career Mins: Chelsea - 9,771.25 vs Liverpool - 5,416.67

Total Purchase Value: Chelsea - €41.25m vs Liverpool - €2.98m

I know I'm probably not telling anyone anything they didn't already know or appreciate, but I thought it was interesting, personally.

A quirk, which introduces a couple of outliers...

One Liverpool sub, Gomez, played over 90 minutes as he was a replacement for the Injured Gravenberch. 

One Chelsea sub, Chalobah, played only 7 minutes, replacing Chilwell (presumably because he was frightened of taking a penalty the big shithouse).

IF those two subs were removed from the sub analysis (daft I know, as Gomez definitely gets brought on ahead of kids elsewhere in the mix, but its a bit of fun) those numbers become...

Subs (Average - Chelsea now made 3 subs, Liverpool now made 5)

Average Age: Chelsea - 22.67 vs Liverpool - 20.00

Total Career Mins: Chelsea - 6,497.5 vs Liverpool - 2,718.6

Total Purchase Value: Chelsea - €55.0m vs Liverpool - €2.60m

For those interested, according to FBRef, these are the total career minutes played for our subs:

Clark: 175

Quansah: 2,775 (of which half (1,372) were in League 1 for Bristol Rovers)

Tsimikas: 13,212

McConnell: 134

Gomez: 16,188

Danns: 36

Good work.

Bare mean doesn't really show much, though. You need distribution as well, even then the analysis is only removing the context of how depleted our squad is. 

They started with three under 21s, Colwill, Gusto and Palmer. Two of which were big money purchases (I still think the £25m+ for Gusto counts in that respect).

We had Bradley and Elliot start.

They brought on one more, Madueke. Who cost another £28m. These are the players they hope are the future of the club and have sold off academy players to enable the spending.

We brought on three teenagers at a key point of the game to help turn the tide and they did it. They played zero teenagers. We also brought on Quansah, who is also younger than all but one of their players. None of these players cost us more than a few million and only Elliot would have started the season expecting to be involved if we reached a final.

These players ARE the future of our club.

Also, no one's called Kelleher a kid, we have however been told for a couple of years we're overrating another player, now they finally see we were right and look to divert attention to a straw man.

It's a good time to credit the work of Inglethorpe again, regardless of what some fat bitter manc thinks about it.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Caramac said:

h1UKxg1.gif

I love this.

One of best ever was when the fake Ronaldo kicked Curtis on the ground and Virgil and Konate waded in.  Simon Hughes said they were like "two medieval jailers".

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Still can't get over the fact that we were playing Chelsea in a final yet the side in extra time looked like one that would play Mansfield or Shrewsbury at home in the FA Cup 4th round. And we still fucking won.

It's nearly as good as when the kids beat Everton in the cup that year. 

7 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Endo was offside when the kick was taken and he did intentionally block Colwill - that is a fact you simply can’t dispute. 

What is debatable is how much difference it would have made. I think to disallow it based on comments about, Colwill might have got back, Colwill might have put VVD off, interference on eye lines etc is incredibly tenuous, hence it should have been allowed to stand. 

I don’t agree with it being disallowed, I can understand (although disagree) with the reasoning given. 

Is that clear enough now? 

I will dispute that all day long, Endo did not block anyone, he was so far away from interrupting play its not even funny. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

Good work.

Bare mean doesn't really show much, though. You need distribution as well, even then the analysis is only removing the context of how depleted our squad is. 

They started with three under 21s, Colwill, Gusto and Palmer. Two of which were big money purchases (I still think the £25m+ for Gusto counts in that respect).

We had Bradley and Elliot start.

They brought on one more, Madueke. Who cost another £28m. These are the players they hope are the future of the club and have sold off academy players to enable the spending.

We brought on three teenagers at a key point of the game to help turn the tide and they did it. They played zero teenagers. We also brought on Quansah, who is also younger than all but one of their players. None of these players cost us more than a few million and only Elliot would have started the season expecting to be involved if we reached a final.

These players ARE the future of our club.

Also, no one's called Kelleher a kid, we have however been told for a couple of years we're overrating another player, now they finally see we were right and look to divert attention to a straw man.

It's a good time to credit the work of Inglethorpe again, regardless of what some fat bitter manc thinks about it.

If I knew what you meant about distribution and bare mean I expect I'd agree. Also the Context you set out is known by us all so while you're right I wasn't making a rebuttal to the fat manc so didn't mention any of it.

For what its worth, context or none, money spent or not, if you could give me every one of their under 24s in a straight swap for every one of ours I'd tell you to get fucked. That's all that matters really.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bob said:

If I knew what you meant about distribution and bare mean I expect I'd agree. Also the Context you set out is known by us all so while you're right I wasn't making a rebuttal to the fat manc so didn't mention any of it.

For what its worth, context or none, money spent or not, if you could give me every one of their under 24s in a straight swap for every one of ours I'd tell you to get fucked. That's all that matters really.

Agreed.

I just meant Mean (average) on it's own. By distribution I was meaning how the ages are spread across the players, usually you'd say variability in most analysis. Standard deviation typically, but Median as well would show the two datasets don't match up well enough for comparisons just between means to tell the full story.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Code said:

I will dispute that all day long, Endo did not block anyone, he was so far away from interrupting play its not even funny. 

He didn’t attempt to play the ball he merely refused to move out the way and why should he? 

26 minutes ago, Code said:

I will dispute that all day long, Endo did not block anyone, he was so far away from interrupting play it’s ,not even funny. 

Let’s agree to disagree. Same as when Barry comes back. 

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

Agreed.

I just meant Mean (average) on it's own. By distribution I was meaning how the ages are spread across the players, usually you'd say variability in most analysis. Standard deviation typically, but Median as well would show the two datasets don't match up well enough for comparisons just between means to tell the full story.

Nerd.