You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (N) - EFL Cup Final, Sun 25th Feb 2024 (3:00pm)

Trumo

30 minutes ago, kemskem said:

I wasn’t aware that ‘Lizzies’s in box’ was sung at Wembley. Can’t say I’m on board with it. Did many sing it?

Sang Maggie around me, wasn't aware of anybody singing lizzie 

1 hour ago, Aventus said:

Sang Maggie around me, wasn't aware of anybody singing lizzie 

Other fans mentioning it on Twitter after some of ours complained about “sign on” on Saturday. I haven’t seen anyone denying it.

Liverpool jeer the national anthem because its emblematic of the Establishment and class structure.  I love it.

It was the Establishment which shafted the fans through corruption and deceit.  All overseen by the then Prime Minister, Maggie Thatcher.  She had long established a culture whereby any attack on the working class, especially northern working class, was fair game - the recasting of the working class from salt of the earth to scum of the earth.

And she openly despised Liverpool, the hotbed of anti-Tory sentiment, and resistance.

When she died, it was natural that the people whose lives she ruined would have their voice heard.  The days of silent obedience are well over, and the once-silenced ensured that the Wicked Witch is Dead song got to number one and it was fantastic.  It was right.

And when we play in Tory heartlands, and hear anti-Liverpool songs, it is understandable that Maggie's in a Box gets a defiant airing.

The queen is most certainly part of the Establishment, and there is a clear correlation between Conservatism and support for the monarchy.

But to be honest, I just don't go along with the Lizzie's in a Box chants.  They are rich, and privileged, and I am totally against the idea of supporting a monarchical structure, but I just don't see the logic of celebrating her death.  Thatcher literally destroyed people's lives.

I don't think it reflects well on us.  The Maggie one, however unpalatable some might find it, I will get behind and justify all day long.

[awaits being called a Tory]

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, razor said:

Liverpool jeer the national anthem because its emblematic of the Establishment and class structure.  I love it.

It was the Establishment which shafted the fans through corruption and deceit.  All overseen by the then Prime Minister, Maggie Thatcher.  She had long established a culture whereby any attack on the working class, especially northern working class, was fair game - the recasting of the working class from salt of the earth to scum of the earth.

And she openly despised Liverpool, the hotbed of anti-Tory sentiment, and resistance.

When she died, it was natural that the people whose lives she ruined would have their voice heard.  The days of silent obedience are well over, and the once-silenced ensured that the Wicked Witch is Dead song got to number one and it was fantastic.  It was right.

And when we play in Tory heartlands, and hear anti-Liverpool songs, it is understandable that Maggie's in a Box gets a defiant airing.

The queen is most certainly part of the Establishment, and there is a clear correlation between Conservatism and support for the monarchy.

But to be honest, I just don't go along with the Lizzie's in a Box chants.  They are rich, and privileged, and I am totally against the idea of supporting a monarchical structure, but I just don't see the logic of celebrating her death.  Thatcher literally destroyed people's lives.

I don't think it reflects well on us.  The Maggie one, however unpalatable some might find it, I will get behind and justify all day long.

You contradicted yourself a bit by saying the establishment,monarchy and tory voters are intertwined. That is obviously why the Lizzie's in a box gets an airing too. The notion that the monarcy doesn't interfere in politics is a fallacy. It is also pro tory so it's all and the same.

I wish we didn't sing either of them to be honest. Does us no favours and just provides ammunition for people to fire at us. Booing the anthem and singing fuck the tories is getting our views across, no need for the other stuff.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, razor said:

11 minutes ago, dave u said:

I wish we didn't sing either of them to be honest. Does us no favours and just provides ammunition for people to fire at us. Booing the anthem and singing fuck the tories is getting our views across, no need for the other stuff.

Tories.

Muhahahahaha.

17 hours ago, dave u said:

Yes, I hear that.  I wouldn't sing either, obviously, as I am in my 50s, and it seems to be young lads who sing it mostly.  But I do get the Maggie one.  The voiceless having a voice and all that.  But it's kind of passed, I think.

The Lizzie one doesn't make sense to me.

I always prefer pro-Liverpool than anti-whatever, anyway.