You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our next manager, your choice, the poll.

Code

Who do you want as our next manager? The poll.  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as our new manager

• Xabi Alonso
    • Didier Deschamps
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Pep Guardiola
    • Pep Lijnders
    • Steven Gerrard
    • Luis Enrique
    • Michel Sánchez
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 31/05/24 at 13:10

I don't know if we need another Klopp, or if the focus will now be on establishing a Klopp like figure as director of football. 

I think there will be conversations had around the whole structure now, not least because FSG now recognise that losing him is bringing about an existential crisis for us this summer and a staff and maybe a player exodus.  We need to recognise that for the problem it is, and see if we can avoid repeating it everytime we get a new manager. 

If our DoF has equal Messiah status, then we can make changing future managers a less painful process. 

1 minute ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I don't know if we need another Klopp, or if the focus will now be on establishing a Klopp like figure as director of football. 

I think there will be conversations had around the whole structure now, not least because FSG now recognise that losing him is bringing about an existential crisis for us this summer and a staff and maybe a player exodus.  We need to recognise that for the problem it is, and see if we can avoid repeating it everytime we get a new manager. 

If our DoF has equal Messiah status, then we can make changing future managers a less painful process. 

The problem with the DOF being the star is that'll put off manager who will know they are no more than a coach. They won't get a proper say in much, won't get to implement a style and they'll know there will always be questions to whether they succeed because of the DOF. 

It might suit a small number happy with that but most top coaches want control

As for names, I'll throw a couple in based on their age and win percentage:

Roger Schmidt 

Arne Slot

Marco Rose

Ruben Amorim

Rob De Zerbi

I don't see how we talk about Xabi based on half a season of management.  It's fucking nuts.  And if he's not ready then we derail his career before it's even really started. 

I also want a manager over 6'2".  I think a lot of Klopp's aura was rigged with his size and presence.  I want a manager to stand eye to eye with the centre backs, I literally want some players physically 'looking up' to him when he speaks.  

I think Xabi is too clean cut and he doesn't seem to smile a lot.  Klopp lit up a room, whereas I think Xabi isn't experienced enough yet to shrug off the massive job on his hands.  He'll be nervous. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Dicko said:

The Owl.

The fucking cunt.

Koncheski out of retirement as the first signing? Keeps his fitness up. he ran the London Marathon in April 2019 to raise funds for the childrens charity Rainbow Trust.

Just throwing this out there….

One of the lads at work is, wait for it, a Bayern Munich fan who is very much of the opinion that Xabi Alonso is wanting the Bayern job.

Based on that, he’s hoping that Thomas Tuchel will put his name forward for the Anfield job, so that Xabi can get to Bayern.

will we get musical chairs? Will Tuchel put his hand up for Liverpool? Would Xabi go to Bayern?

Thomas Tuchel in the mix anyone?

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

As for names, I'll throw a couple in based on their age and win percentage:

Roger Schmidt 

Arne Slot

Marco Rose

Ruben Amorim

Rob De Zerbi

I don't see how we talk about Xabi based on half a season of management.  It's fucking nuts.  And if he's not ready then we derail his career before it's even really started. 

I also want a manager over 6'2".  I think a lot of Klopp's aura was rigged with his size and presence.  I want a manager to stand eye to eye with the centre backs, I literally want some players physically 'looking up' to him when he speaks.  

I think Xabi is too clean cut and he doesn't seem to smile a lot.  Klopp lit up a room, whereas I think Xabi isn't experienced enough yet to shrug off the massive job on his hands.  He'll be nervous. 

I don't know most of those names but I agree with a lot of the rest of your post. I don't think it would be nuts to bring Alonso in but it's fucking scary what some of the outcomes could be. I don't want De Zerbi as I don't think he'd be able to nearly fill Klopp's shoes. But then who does? It's a fucking awful situation we're facing. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Pep Lijnders for 12 months, hopefully followed by Alonso.

I don't get that at all? If ljinders is the right man why would we give it to him for 12 months. If Alonso is not the right man, who knows what he'll be in 12 months. 

29 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Just throwing this out there….

One of the lads at work is, wait for it, a Bayern Munich fan who is very much of the opinion that Xabi Alonso is wanting the Bayern job.

Based on that, he’s hoping that Thomas Tuchel will put his name forward for the Anfield job, so that Xabi can get to Bayern.

will we get musical chairs? Will Tuchel put his hand up for Liverpool? Would Xabi go to Bayern?

Thomas Tuchel in the mix anyone?

Tuchel is a fucking massive weirdo. That's a no from me. 

20 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't get that at all? If ljinders is the right man why would we give it to him for 12 months. If Alonso is not the right man, who knows what he'll be in 12 months. 

Tuchel is a fucking massive weirdo. That's a no from me. 

I’m trying to do the ridiculous thing of ‘having a bob each way’

I know..its fucked.

So I’m going to say it.

I want Pep Lijnders to succeed Klopp. He’s the one. He can step up, he’ll have Klopp’s advice (unofficially) and official support and most importantly he’s HERE doing a great job as part of what we have.

Alonso doesn’t feel right for me. I think the romantic sentimental side of me would say yes, but I’m a realist and I think it’s too much too soon for the fledgling manager.

As for Tuchel, I don’t want him, but he’s probably one of a small cadre of managers who are arrogant enough to believe they are as good as Klopp, and that self confidence is almost a pre-requisite.  

5 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

I’m trying to do the ridiculous thing of ‘having a bob each way’

I know..its fucked.

So I’m going to say it.

I want Pep Lijnders to succeed Klopp. He’s the one. He can step up, he’ll have Klopp’s advice (unofficially) and official support and most importantly he’s HERE doing a great job as part of what we have.

Alonso doesn’t feel right for me. I think the romantic sentimental side of me would say yes, but I’m a realist and I think it’s too much too soon for the fledgling manager.

As for Tuchel, I don’t want him, but he’s probably one of a small cadre of managers who are arrogant enough to believe they are as good as Klopp, and that self confidence is almost a pre-requisite.  

Ok fair enough if you think ljinders is up to it. If I was klopp though and I wanted to have "a life for the first time", or however he put it, I don't think I'd be picking up WhatsApps for advice from ljinders. And if I was ljinders I wouldn't be asking. For me, ljinders is either good enough or he's not. It's not 1985 where we could lean on a retired paisley for a couple of years and let him sit on the board and report back on the young pups progress and guide his hand in the transfer market. 

Alonso I don't think is sentiment, I think it's he's in a group of inexperienced managers, along with de zerbi and amorim who perhaps have a high ceiling and we'd be taking a gamble, but just a different gamble to say an Emery who's already tried and failed at a big club replacing a historical manager. The fella has a side who are unbeaten this season, in probably the 3rd strongest league in the world. 

I'm not sure there's a perfect answer out there. But then equally I've seen people chuck out names like inzaghi and I've genuinely no idea how much experience he has. Luckily I'm not the person hiring our new manager. 

The bottom line for me, if klopp has shown us anything in the last 8 years, it's strong leadership is invaluable. If ljinders was that guy, I suspect we'd already know who our next manager is. 

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/lists/troy-deeney-sacked-forest-green-rovers-threatening-punch-match-official-face/blt72f591814791f2af#csa1e991197349efb9

In the reasons for why Deeney received a touchline ban from the FA, it was revealed that he hurled insults at fourth official Andrew Hickman in his side's 2-1 defeat at Swindon.

The former Forest Green Rovers boss did not long as manager of the League Two side and was dismissed following the touchline ban.

Per The Athletic, It is alleged that Deeney said to Hickman: "if you weren’t a referee, I would punch your f***ing head in."

He then was sent off before he called Hickman: "A f***ing weasel." 

9 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/lists/troy-deeney-sacked-forest-green-rovers-threatening-punch-match-official-face/blt72f591814791f2af#csa1e991197349efb9

In the reasons for why Deeney received a touchline ban from the FA, it was revealed that he hurled insults at fourth official Andrew Hickman in his side's 2-1 defeat at Swindon.

The former Forest Green Rovers boss did not long as manager of the League Two side and was dismissed following the touchline ban.

Per The Athletic, It is alleged that Deeney said to Hickman: "if you weren’t a referee, I would punch your f***ing head in."

He's a prick. 

A cult hero down here where I live but having listened to some interviews with him he's in the same bracket as Michail Antonio in believing he's far better than he thinks he is. Ego far outstrips his ability

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised Xabi is the front runner for the job, everything seems to point towards De Zerbi. 

I don't think there's anything like Klopp out there right now, but if I had to choose someone else it's be De Zerbi.  There's some fascinating vids in YT about his innovations in coaching, and his devotion to football. 

£10m release clause currently in his contract, 

He may not be what we want ultimately, we don't know, but in the meantime he'd have us playing much the same as Klopp, high intensity without the ball, always wanting the ball, high defensive line, attacking. 

Also he'd open up the possibility of us signing Estupinan or João Pedro.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

João Pedro.  

he is nowhere near good enough, at least not yet. Especially as they'd want 60ml plus for him

People are seeing his numbers and getting carried away. His goal numbers are being inflated by penalties in both the league and Europa league where he has been doing well against bang average teams who have decent names like Marseille and Ajax

Europa League 4 of 6 are Pens

Premier League 4 of 7 are pens

FA Cup 2 of 5 are pens

Scored 3 non penalty league goals 

So 8 goals and 2 assists in 30 games

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

You must be joking, don't want Gerrard anywhere near the managers seat. Come back anytime as club ambassador or whatever, but never as manager.

I was joking mate, but would love to see him involved as Xabi’s back room staff

Xabi all day long 

Oh and as manager as well 

then….. 

Postecoglu

Ancelotti

Good Ebening

Tuchel

Anyone else would be shite and annoying. I’ll tell you what though, Gary O’Neil will be a top manager one day. Too soon for us but he learnt a bit of craft here and he’s been unlucky at Wolves this season. De Zerbi is doing well and all.