You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer window 2023 - marks out of 10

Bob

Summer window 2023 - marks out of 10  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming Mo stays (which is the case as our window closes) how would you rate the window overall

Running a risk in defence and would have preferred a proper #6, but appreciate the club and Klopp have wanted Gravenberch for a while, huge potential. Think the midfield has a tonne of talent and opens up a lot of options for us, think we're going to be much more press resistant in our own half and dangerous in and out of the area at the other end. Szoboszlai is a proper star player in the making. 

We'll have a lot to do next summer as well no doubt, but think we should be set to push for 3rd at least over the season. 

8/10 in what should have been an easy 10/10 if we were more organised behind the scenes.

This is what I put in the Summer Transfer thread

Szoboszlai - Ecstatic. Phenomenal signing.

MacAllister - Very happy. Great signing, Premier league proven. World Cup winner.

Endo - Dissapointed. Won't say anymore. Will give him full support though.

Gravenberch - Talented but not what we needed (DM). Let's see where he fits & where he plays.

We are still short of a proper DM and a LCB. Given that we knew these 2 positions had to be strengthened and we didn’t get anybody really good in, I’ll give the transfer window 6/10

7 - We might have to dip back into the midfield in the next 2 04 windows (performances depending) when we could have locked that position down for the next 5-6 years by buying a long term DM.

Centre back isn't a concern in relation to what the club was looking to do, if you're looking to sign a young 5th choice defender to learn the ropes but have a promising young 5th choice defender in the ranks anyway then whats the difference but would understand it being marked down based on personal preference/need (being we needed more than a 5th choice).

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

7 - We might have to dip back into the midfield in the next 2 04 windows (performances depending) when we could have locked that position down for the next 5-6 years by buying a long term DM.

Centre back isn't a concern in relation to what the club was looking to do, if you're looking to sign a young 5th choice defender to learn the ropes but have a promising young 5th choice defender in the ranks anyway then whats the difference but would understand it being marked down based on personal preference/need (being we needed more than a 5th choice).

Given we were after Colwill, I'm not sure the CB chase was really for 5th choice.

10 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Given we were after Colwill, I'm not sure the CB chase was really for 5th choice.

I think Colwill was a can't pass up signing, like Caicedo, he ticked so many boxes and the club seemed so enamoured with him that if it was a deal they could do they'd try to do it even if it meant adjusting plans as a result.

When Colwill was off the table we were never seriously linked to any starting calibre players and most reports from actual journo's was they were looking for a young player to learn the role.

Links to Hincapie, Ignacio, Theate etc all seemed to be driven by agents/twitter types working on behalf of third parties/wishlists from supporters.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I think Colwill was a can't pass up signing, like Caicedo, he ticked so many boxes and the club seemed so enamoured with him that if it was a deal they could do they'd try to do it even if they brought it forward a year.

When Colwill was off the table we were never seriously linked to any starting calibre players and most reports from actual journo's was they were looking for a young player to learn the role.

Links to Hincapie, Ignacio, Theate etc all seemed to be driven by agents/twitter types working on behalf of third parties/wishlists from supporters.

This. There were no reliable links to other defenders throughout the window which tells me that Jurgen and his team (with the benefit of actual knowledge about the squad) saw no need to strengthen the defence.  We spent the last week prioritising and buying another midfielder. 

I'd say 7. We've added a lot of youth and dynamism to the midfield, both of which were needed. We've also added a defensively diligent and workmanlike player with a bit of versatility, so in theory we are better geared to transition from defence to attack. We could have done with a first-team ready centre back but were only linked with Colwill.

I’m not sure how to judge this. Yes we have revamped our midfield and we got off to a flyer with Mac Allister and Szlobozlai but after that we seem to have flapped, very reactionary and unable to move forward unless there was a release fee involved. Caicedo and Lavia made us look amateurish at best embarrassing at worst and we then jumped to Endo who let’s be honest is a stop gap signing.

We’re still exposed at the back and the salah move will rumble on for another week now. I think Saudi situation was massively unforeseen and the lack of a perm DOF hurt us as we scrambled. 

overall I think we’re in better shape but that midfield will need to gel quickly.

6/10 for now.

Seven from me, too. Far too chaotic to score it any higher, but the quality of the players brought in is very high and we've got rid of a lot of dead wood. I just hope we'll be looking to address the defence to some extent in January, we're really taking a risk with the defenders we have. Potentially sticking Endo at the back gives me flashbacks to when Henderson and Fabinho were played in defence.

The idea for every transfer window is to be better at the end than you were at the start. We haven't lost a player I'd have rather kept and we have signed 2 potential superstars. I'm happy with that. First XI looks really strong, the attitude looks spot on, Liverpool reloaded here we go. 8/10

Obviously we'll need to see how performances and results are to properly judge the window but purely based on players brought in and let go I think its a steady if unspectacular 7.5/10.  We've gotten rid of quite a bit of dead wood, annoyed Phillips has gone out on loan & not been sold but that's only minor.  The squad as a whole is stronger although there are definate question marks about right back and the centre back area.  In CB we have the numbers but do we have the reliability and necessary quality. Much will rest with Gomez and how he peforms, i think he'll become 3rd choice moving ahead of Matip in the pecking order.  Before the long injury he was looking like a rolls royce of a young CB, hopefully he can rediscover that form & level of performance.

I’ve gone 7.  

It’s an 8 or 9 for the midfield rebuild but loses points for a lack of freshness to the defence. However, this is a proper team and squad rebuild and so will take a few more windows. We want to make sure we are getting the players we want and not just throwing money at our 4th back up option or someone that just came available. 

So all in all I’m very happy with the work done with dramatically changing the area of the pitch we all said needed big work. 

Jury's out on the end result of the window. If Endo turns out decent and Gravenberch easily integrates into the team and plays well, then it was a good window. Good but not great, as we should have invested in a defender or two.  

Endo is the big question for me as the 6 is so important in the team. Bajcetic is great and will play but he's young and due to his recent injury woes cannot play every game. 

The lack of quality cover on CB and RB will very much depend on as Klopp said LUCK in terms of injuries. Knowing our injury history I wish we hadn't relied on luck and just bought some cover in defence. Surprised Klopp didn't see the same, given our history of injuries and Matip and Gomez being very average the last couple seasons. 

7 as of now.