You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emile Heskey Remember Him?

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Do you remember the quality of the football? Do you remember how we approached the game of football? Do you remember our exciting ventures into the transfer market?

Of course. Our style of football totally ruined trips to Barcelona, Porto, Rome, Monaco, Dortmund, etc.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Yes, he was a poor manager. 

6 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Do you actually remember all those miserable years or do you just remember the first season and that makes up your memory of the time. 

It  was a long time ago to be fair but I personally remember the Houllier-Heskey era quite well. Quite fucking well. 

Are you on a wind-up? 2001 was one of the best years of any Liverpudlians lives. He turned a team of almost into a team of winners. I don't think he was the same after his heart issue but fucking hell. Read Gerrard, Carraghers, Owens books they all wax lyrical about Houllier and he made them the players they became. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Of course. Our style of football totally ruined trips to Barcelona, Porto, Rome, Monaco, Dortmund, etc.

Exactly. For 5 years our highlights were a couple of 4:3 wins against Newcastle, the odd win over Man United and watching fucking Blackburn lift the trophy at Anfield. All of a sudden you'd go the game thinking we will definitely win today. Perfect? Fuck no but it lifted us back up and reminded cunts who we are. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Are you on a wind-up? 2001 was one of the best years of any Liverpudlians lives. He turned a team of almost into a team of winners. I don't think he was the same after his heart issue but fucking hell. Read Gerrard, Carraghers, Owens books they all wax lyrical about Houllier and he made them the players they became. 

Agreed. 2001 was the year we became a serious contender again. 

Low pain threshold, punched his weight less & less post treble 2001. But was weirdly always well up for games v Chelsea. It was as if he never forgot getting a red card against them after shithousery in the Worthington cup at Anfield & was super pumped up for these contests. Shame it was unsustainable 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heskey - nice fella but shouldn’t have been near Liverpool.

Ged did great work up until his major heart surgery. A life changing event like that often alters a person’s personality and it did with him. The club should have recognised that and eased him out sooner. I like to think, having seen him in his later years, that he regained something of his old self before his death.

On 23/07/2023 at 12:58, Jordy Brouwer said:

There were even credible rumours that we tried to sign Didier Baptiste, a player that didn't even exist but rather was a character on Sky One's football drama "Dream Team". Woulnd't surprise me. 

Bit much to blame that on GH. the credible rumours were that some journos didn’t bother to fact check before running it.

On 04/08/2023 at 07:05, Anubis said:

Heskey - nice fella but shouldn’t have been near Liverpool.

Ged did great work up until his major heart surgery. A life changing event like that often alters a person’s personality and it did with him. The club should have recognised that and eased him out sooner. I like to think, having seen him in his later years, that he regained something of his old self before his death.

Emile is no longer with us?

On 23/07/2023 at 11:47, Curly said:

Re Houllier - I enjoyed 2000 - 2002, but aside from that it was pretty turgid. I never forgave the way he bounced Fowler out and the ousting of Evans sat badly with me too. I was also pleased the day he went, but that treble season is up there in my top 3 or 5 ever.

Never warmed to Houllier though 

he transformed the entire club.

On 23/07/2023 at 12:24, Jordy Brouwer said:

Do you remember the quality of the football? Do you remember how we approached the game of football? Do you remember our exciting ventures into the transfer market?

finnan

mcallsiter

hyypia

henchoz

hamman

3 hours ago, Arniepie said:

he transformed the entire club.

He did mate, just didn’t warm to him ever.

I was only a kid in the 90s and loved Roy - him and Ronnie were the last of the boot room history. He got so close as well. 

• 3 months later...
On 23/07/2023 at 12:58, Jordy Brouwer said:

There were even credible rumours that we tried to sign Didier Baptiste, a player that didn't even exist but rather was a character on Sky One's football drama "Dream Team". Woulnd't surprise me. 

Negged for having such a low threshold for"credible ".

On 04/08/2023 at 12:50, JagSquared said:

Bit much to blame that on GH. the credible rumours were that some journos didn’t bother to fact check before running it.

The same hacks, having learned nothing, reported that we were about to sign Luis Enrique from Barcelona, because he'd been spotted at one of our reserves games.  In fact, it was Louis Emerick (Mick from Brookie) who was at that match.

• 1 month later...