You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

These Just Stop Oil protesters

Kevin D

14 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Only a matter of time before one of them gets run over and dies. 

A noble cause but poor execution IMO

I agree. If one does unfortunately get killed I bet the wake goes on well into the night. They'll all be burning the midnight oil.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66207576

Two protesters from environmental campaign group Just Stop Oil have interrupted the First Night of the Proms at London's Royal Albert Hall.

The duo mounted the stage and briefly unfurled an orange banner.

They were met with boos and jeers from some members of the audience at the BBC's classical music festival, before being led away by security staff.

Just Stop Oil has targeted a number of events this year, including the Ashes, Wimbledon and the Chelsea Flower Show.

In a tweet, Just Stop Oil said their supporters "set off confetti cannons and sounded air horns, demanding the UK government immediately halt all new oil and gas consents and licences. They attempted to address the audience before being forcibly removed".

They added the action, which lasted for about five minutes shortly after the interval, targeted the event because of the BBC's "underwhelming coverage of the climate emergency".

The Proms opening night featured a new translation of Jean Sibelius's Snöfrid, narrated by The Crown actress Lesley Manville, and a new work by Ukrainian composer Bohdana Frolyak, called Let The Light In.

I completely agree that something has to be done, but as Paulie says, noble cause, poor execution.

People may well agree with them in regard to stopping oil production and climate change but their methods are pissing people off.

Sooner or later one or more of them are going to get filled in and it will be interesting to see the public's reaction to that.

I've a feeling though that most will say serve them fucking right and not just Tories either.

26 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I completely agree that something has to be done, but as Paulie says, noble cause, poor execution.

People may well agree with them in regard to stopping oil production and climate change but their methods are pissing people off.

Sooner or later one or more of them are going to get filled in and it will be interesting to see the public's reaction to that.

I've a feeling though that most will say serve them fucking right and not just Tories either.

Non-violent, non-destructive, barely-disruptive protest.  I think people are a bit too quick to get pissed off if they can't handle what Just Stop Oil are doing.

Some protesters have already been if not quite filled in certainly roughed up; public reaction has been what you'd expect: Daily Heil-reading "anti-woke" cunts fucking love it.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Non-violent, non-destructive, barely-disruptive protest.  I think people are a bit too quick to get pissed off if they can't handle what Just Stop Oil are doing.

Some protesters have already been if not quite filled in certainly roughed up; public reaction has been what you'd expect: Daily Heil-reading "anti-woke" cunts fucking love it.

Non violent, non destructive maybe but glueing themselves to roads, disrupting snooker tournaments, Wimbledon and The Proms etc isn't barely disruptive though is it.

People pay a lot of money for the privilege of attending these events so  it's hardly surprising when people get pissed off when they get interrupted.

I support their cause, I don't support their methods. I'm about as anti Tory, Daily Heil as it gets and all this 'woke, anti woke' bollocks means fuck all to me, but if I was in the position where heaven forbid one of mine was in the back of an ambulance that was being prevented by them from getting to hospital, I'd fill them in too if I was still able 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Non violent, non destructive maybe but glueing themselves to roads, disrupting snooker tournaments, Wimbledon and The Proms etc isn't barely disruptive though is it.

People pay a lot of money for the privilege of attending these events so  it's hardly surprising when people get pissed off when they get interrupted.

I support their cause, I don't support their methods. I'm about as anti Tory, Daily Heil as it gets and all this 'woke, anti woke' bollocks means fuck all to me, but if I was in the position where heaven forbid one of mine was in the back of an ambulance that was being prevented by them from getting to hospital, I'd fill them in too if I was still able 

What about when they’re in the back of an Ambulance that can’t get to the hospital because there’s a forest fire or flood again?

the world is currently burning and flooding and nobody gives a shit but they’re furious if someone slightly delays their leisure activities. 

all fucking power to them 

24 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

What about when they’re in the back of an Ambulance that can’t get to the hospital because there’s a forest fire or flood again?

the world is currently burning and flooding and nobody gives a shit but they’re furious if someone slightly delays their leisure activities. 

all fucking power to them 

Like I said mate I agree with their cause but not their methods.

They're drawing attention but not gaining the support the cause needs.

I don't know what the answer is but losing the goodwill of people doesn't seem the right way to me.

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

Delaying a snooker or tennis match for half an hour really is minimally disruptive.

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Delaying a snooker or tennis match for half an hour really is minimally disruptive.

They undoubtedly have an important message and a cause they believe in, one I support, but the way they're doing it is counter productive imo.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

History sees the Suffragettes as heroines. But at the time… …does the below sound familiar. These people are doing what their critics won’t, not just for the right to vote, but to stop the destruction of the planet.

The suffragettes heckled politicians, tried to storm parliament, were attacked and sexually assaulted during battles with the police, chained themselves to railings, smashed windows, carried out a nationwide bombing and arson campaign, and faced anger and ridicule in the media. When imprisoned they went on hunger strike, not eating for days or even a week, to which the government responded by force-feedingthem. The first suffragette to be force fed was Evaline Hilda Burkitt. The death of one suffragette, Emily Davison, when she ran in front of the king's horse at the 1913 Epsom Derby, made headlines around the world.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Anubis said:

History sees the Suffragettes as heroines. But at the time… …does the below sound familiar. These people are doing what their critics won’t, not just for the right to vote, but to stop the destruction of the planet.

I love this song: written in 1965 and specifically aimed at liberals who, theoretically, supported the Civil Rights movement but opposed their disruptive methods.

1 minute ago, Anubis said:

I agree about the Suffragettes and as I've said several times I agree with Just Stop Oil's cause.

The Suffragettes had at least half the population on their side and are rightly regarded as heroines.

Brave women in different times.

I just don't agree with Just Stop Oils methods and I doubt they'll achieve their aims by continuing with these methods.

I doubt one of them chucking themselves under the Kings horse would have much effect either.

I have no figures so this is all supposition on my part, but I imagine there's a scale to this. 

At one end you have Just Stop Oil and the other those that don't give a fuck with various stages inbetween.

I, like most sane people am concerned about global warming with its dangers and know something has to be done to prevent it getting worse, so this puts me more towards the Just Stop Oil side.

Just how you get more people to hear the message is something that needs to worked out and implemented, with the object of the exercise being getting more people onside.

Maybe I'm wrong but it looks to me that Just Stop Oil's methods are having the opposite effect.

I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think this is it.

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

The thing is, 80% of people agree that climate change is an issue, so they're preaching to the converted. So what's the purpose of it all?

We've just had one of the hottest weeks in millennia and we spent it talking about Huw Edwards.

We need to escalate the sense of emergency - because it's a fucking emergency - and get more people putting more pressure on politics to actually do something.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Like I said mate I agree with their cause but not their methods.

They're drawing attention but not gaining the support the cause needs.

I don't know what the answer is but losing the goodwill of people doesn't seem the right way to me.

The good will of the people makes so difference to the cause to be honest mate. Unless there’s pressure on governments to take action - which realistically only comes from this being in the news - then good will does fuck all.

in the last week or so we had all 7 of the hottest ever recorded global average temperatures. That’s the hottest 7 days there has ever been on record ever. Didn’t make the news because a newsreader had a wank over a lad.

3 hours ago, Strontium said:

The thing is, 80% of people agree that climate change is an issue, so they're preaching to the converted. So what's the purpose of it all?

It’s not 80% of power and wealth that agree though is it? It’s fuck all% of power and wealth that wants to take the action needed to avert unbearable futures. 

Get it in the news. Even if that’s people saying “I agree with the cause just not the methods” that’s ok. Cause the cause is getting more support. Then when government go back on their word about payments to climate affected global south countries or removing the de facto ban on onshore wind, or approving new oil fields that don’t pass their own legal tests for net zero, the people who agree with the cause should say “hang on a minute” and make noise and demand discussion on tv and badger their MP or whatever.

those stop oil lads and lasses are just making sure it’s in the news, and fucking good on them as far as I’m concerned.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

The good will of the people makes so difference to the cause to be honest mate. Unless there’s pressure on governments to take action - which realistically only comes from this being in the news - then good will does fuck all.

in the last week or so we had all 7 of the hottest ever recorded global average temperatures. That’s the hottest 7 days there has ever been on record ever. Didn’t make the news because a newsreader had a wank over a lad.

The media has fuck all to do with being the catalyst for action.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

The media has fuck all to do with being the catalyst for action.

So what does?

if we’re reliant on rich white men to do it cause they want to we might as well all join a fucking death cult.