You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

8 minutes ago, Chris said:

Agree 100% about the chemistry and the luck involved with everything meshing.

Mentality is another. I'm just not seeing close to the same mentality from this group as we had during the peak era. The ability to meet adversity head on and smile at it. I guess the likes of Milner were key to that. And it's irreplaceable. Sorry for the platitudes, but I'm not sure the desires there from anyone to get back to the mountain top. 

Endo might be part of Klopp’s answer to the mentality issue. I know next to nothing about him but being a workaholic on the pitch and captain of club and country is a good start. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Chris said:

Age profile is one thing, quality is another. I don't think we a) have like for like quality with the players replaced and b) those we haven't replaced look a lot less than what they were.

In terms of a) I don't think we'll be talking about Diaz, Nunez and Gakpo in the same breath as Mane and Firmino when we're sat around reminiscing about that era. The latter two are all-time club greats, unquestionably.

The others are good players. But when we've had that quality for so long and have relied on every ounce of it for the prizes we've won, the drop off is stark. Still time for them, I know. But if I could have Sadio at 25 or Diaz now, there's no fucker picking Diaz. 

In terms of b) Again we relied on every ounce of magic from Alisson, Trent, Robbo and Salah to win what we won. Except Alisson, none of them are what they were.

It's a massive, massive uphill climb to get close to where we were. And, when you consider those factors, I'd say it's impossible. So, reset your expectations when it comes to this squad. Top 4 is pretty good going. 

I fully agree that it would be miraculous for Klopp to rebuild a team/squad as good as the peak of 2018-2020, but that was a phenomenal squad with enormous character. They achieved 97 and 99 points in successive seasons and won a Champions League. However, the competition of today is not on the same level as then. That City squad was even deeper than ours and also full of unbelievable talent. I don't think the same can be said of their current version either. I'd presume that we will not achieve a 95+ season in the premier league this season but I'd be amazed if any team does. 

For comparison this was City's squad in 2018/19

Ederson

Walker Kompany Laporte Mendy

De Bruyne Fernandinho DSilva

Sterling Aguero Sane

Bravo

Danilo Stones Otamendi Zinchenko

Delph Gundogan BSilva 

Mahrez Jesus Foden

-----------------------------------------------------

On completion of the expected impending sales of Cancelo and Laporte, this is City's squad for the forthcoming season:

Ederson
Walker Akanji Dias Gvardiol
De Bruyne Rodri BSilva
Foden Haaland Grealish

Ortega
Lewis Stones Ake Gomez
Kovacic Phillips
Palmer Alvarez 

-----------------------------------------------------

I'd expect a couple of incomings to that squad in the next two weeks but even then, in my opinion, there is no comparison in depth, or quality. With de Bruyne out injured, Alvarez is currently their only senior attacking option off the bench. 

We don’t need to get to the levels of 2018-2020, or even to 2021/22 levels of consistency, to compete for titles. I think with the addition of two more starting players to this Liverpool squad, we have enough to achieve at least 15 more points in the league than last season and 83+ points will be close in May. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, etho said:

Think this overlooks how much Klopps tactics did for those players. We didn't sign Sadio Mane as a world class player he became one and a big part of that is Klopp. Similar with Firmino and Salah who's obviously still here. Sadio had already been replaced on the left by Diaz at the age of 31 when we sold him. 

I agree that the sum of its parts and the players they became may not be replicable, bit then that's the point of a new team. Diaz Gakpo and Nunez all have huge potential for growth and improvement but they're different players. I can't think of a forward roster in the league id swap ours for.

And Fabinho again became world class and probably was the best in his position for a while. There's not many of them around so as we've seen this window you'll need some serious cash to replace him. But, that's not to say we even need a like for like replacement, he was never the quickest and relied on positioning and timing, so maybe a doucoure or the like over time might become equally as important but with different attributes 

Lots of solid points, but one problem with it is that we aren't playing Klopp's tactics anymore, we're like a Poundland Arsenal at the moment. We can only hope with time it beds in and we become as good as we were with the 4-3-3 but there are huge question marks about that.

11 minutes ago, Chris said:

Mentality is another. I'm just not seeing close to the same mentality from this group as we had during the peak era. The ability to meet adversity head on and smile at it. I guess the likes of Milner were key to that. And it's irreplaceable. Sorry for the platitudes, but I'm not sure the desires there from anyone to get back to the mountain top. 

You’re right about mentality, but it’s also a process. I dunno how, who or why, but it isn’t always the biggest outlay that gets you those people, it’s identifying those willing to fight or something I suppose. Here’s to serendipity and lightning striking twice. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dave u said:

Lots of solid points, but one problem with it is that we aren't playing Klopp's tactics anymore, we're like a Poundland Arsenal at the moment. We can only hope with time it beds in and we become as good as we were with the 4-3-3 but there are huge question marks about that.

Yeah its lots of square pegs in round holes. Robertson, Trent, Gakpo in midfield.

This box midfield thing is the latest fad that all the teams want to play at the moment despite not necessarily having the right players for the system.

2 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

Yeah its lots of square pegs in round holes. Robertson, Trent, Gakpo in midfield.

This box midfield thing is the latest fad that all the teams want to play at the moment despite not necessarily having the right players for the system.

It's not going to happen now, but a big part of me wishes we'd just go back to what we did best and have Trent and Robbo do their thing. Not only have we lost Trent's incredible output from right back, we've cut Robbo's balls off in the process. There were very few players who could do what he did. There are shitloads who can do what he does now.

• Upvote 7

Just now, dave u said:

It's not going to happen now, but a big part of me wishes we'd just go back to what we did best and have Trent and Robbo do their thing. Not only have we lost Trent's incredible output from right back, we've curt Robbo's balls off too. There were very few players who could do what he did. There are shitloads who can do what he does now.

Yeah I'd like to see that too, especially with the new midfield. I think we will be sticking with this current formation for a while though unless we have absolutely dire results.

If we get a top midfielder I think we're in pretty decent shape to be honest. Three mids in already, good range of age and experience. We had zero ability in midfield last year, plenty of numbers but all in decline, crocks or just pointless twats like Keita.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dave u said:

It's not going to happen now, but a big part of me wishes we'd just go back to what we did best and have Trent and Robbo do their thing. Not only have we lost Trent's incredible output from right back, we've curt Robbo's balls off too. There were very few players who could do what he did. There are shitloads who can do what he does now.

Don't think there's any putting the genie back in the bottle when it comes to sticking Trent back in the right back box now unfortunately. The argument isn't whether he CAN defend, as it was for so long. It's whether he can be arsed to defend. Comments at the weekend suggest our new vice captain cannot be arsed defending.

I'm not convinced by Amrabat. I'm wary of players who do well in World Cups but bugger all at club level. And the fewer African international the better since the AFCON always fucks up our season because it happens so often and in the middle of the domestic season.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, dave u said:

It's not going to happen now, but a big part of me wishes we'd just go back to what we did best and have Trent and Robbo do their thing. Not only have we lost Trent's incredible output from right back, we've cut Robbo's balls off in the process. There were very few players who could do what he did. There are shitloads who can do what he does now.

The issue is that Robertson has run the equivalent of what feels like one million marathons in his career and likely can't be as intense as he once was on the left. I think trying to give him a role that is a little less forward thinking is probably for the best, but obviously there's a lot of growing pains with that at the moment and yeah, ultimately,  he might not be suited to it. And then Trent patently does not want to play right back anymore, or at least in the way he used to play it.

So basically, I'm not sure we even have the personel or the quality to play that way anymore.

4 minutes ago, Baltar said:

I'm not convinced by Amrabat. I'm wary of players who do well in World Cups but bugger all at club level. And the fewer African international the better since the AFCON always fucks up our season because it happens so often and in the middle of the domestic season.

That's good because he isn’t coming. I think he will eventually go to United and struggle with the pace 

30 minutes ago, Chris said:

It's something that Klopp built over time, though. As cringey as it seemed at the time, that saluting of the Kop after the late draw with West Brom (I think) was all part of their education. The peak of that for me was playing terribly away against Villa in the title season and scoring twice to nick it 2-1 in the last few minutes. 

The newer crew need to grind a few wins out against strong odds. They need to build resistance. To be fair, we were decent in this regard over the last ten games or so last season, but a lot will depend on players like Virgil, Trent and Mo leading by example. 

• Upvote 5

The term Mentality monsters just about covered the team from 2017 onwards until 2021.

I agree that the away against Villa, the season we won the league (which I was fortunate to be at) was sheer force of will and we just knew after that game we were going to win the League.

Ferguson, not that I ever liked him, brought in players that had that will to win, were capable of committing “professional fouls”, had the never say die attitude that set his teams apart from the norm, and currently, aside from the massive money they have, City or Guardiola, also bring in similar players. 
They bully teams, and it’s that kind of attitude that we need to be identifying when we sign players as much as their ability to run, jump, fight or ride a bike.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

It's something that Klopp built over time, though. As cringey as it seemed at the time, that saluting of the Kop after the late draw with West Brom (I think) was all part of their education. The peak of that for me was playing terribly away against Villa in the title season and scoring twice to nick it 2-1 in the last few minutes. 

The newer crew need to grind a few wins out against strong odds. They need to build resistance. To be fair, we were decent in this regard over the last ten games or so last season, but a lot will depend on players like Virgil, Trent and Mo leading by example. 

The West Brom thing was immense.

Having a DM that can drop between the centre backs and make a back three will be handy and might possibly were we Bajcetic future role. Then Trent can move in, Robbo can push up and Gakpo can drop back from attack to make the box Trent and Mac the deep midfielders and Gakpo and Szobo the attacking ones.

37 minutes ago, bossy said:

The West Brom thing was immense.

What i love about it was fact that so many other clubs fans just didn't understand what is was about....

"Haha look at Liverpool celebrating a draw at home with WBA, LOL!"

Er no that wasn't what it was about....

• Upvote 2