You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

All the reports are that Klopp has more control than ever, he hand picked his transfer guy and this window has been an utter shambles. We can do as much good work as we like between now and the end of the window but it won’t undo the mess that came before. It’s also came to light that Klopp favoured extending deals for washed out players over signing future worldies. He’s the man and I’ll back him to the hilt but I’ve always thought he wasn’t too great at the transfer side since the likes of Brandt and Gotze were lucky misses. Not to say FSG aren’t the root of the problem mind, it did feel like funds have been held back for some reason until they came over last week.

• Upvote 1

I reckon we still might go for Gravenberch - we've been linked with him for too long by too many reliable journos for us to not be interested at all. There's noises that Tuchel can't promise him game time and that he wants an orthodox 6 (they've been linked with Sangare themselves) - he's even casting doubt on Kimmich's role in the team for him. Gravenberch isn't an orthodox 6 either but he's tall, athletic, mobile and has a pretty wide skillset so there's a chance the club see him as someone who could grow into that role and bring something else to it. He's also versatile and could play one of the more advanced 8 roles in the team as well so we'd be adding depth there as well.

It's putting 2 and 2 together, but I wonder if we've signed Endo as a player on modest wages for a modest fee who can slot straight into the team at 6 for a year or so whilst we work with a player like Gravenberch in the background, and let Bajcetic develop. He then goes on to fulfil a Milner-lite role in the squad in the future. There's an argument that Thiago could take that profile but he isn't as mobile as Endo, nor is his fitness as reliable - and he's on high wages with only a year left so his long term status in the team isn't as suitable.

4 minutes ago, Manny said:

I reckon we still might go for Gravenberch - we've been linked with him for too long by too many reliable journos for us to not be interested at all. There's noises that Tuchel can't promise him game time and that he wants an orthodox 6 (they've been linked with Sangare themselves) - he's even casting doubt on Kimmich's role in the team for him. Gravenberch isn't an orthodox 6 either but he's tall, athletic, mobile and has a pretty wide skillset so there's a chance the club see him as someone who could grow into that role and bring something else to it. He's also versatile and could play one of the more advanced 8 roles in the team as well so we'd be adding depth there as well.

It's putting 2 and 2 together, but I wonder if we've signed Endo as a player on modest wages for a modest fee who can slot straight into the team at 6 for a year or so whilst we work with a player like Gravenberch in the background, and let Bajcetic develop. He then goes on to fulfil a Milner-lite role in the squad in the future. There's an argument that Thiago could take that profile but he isn't as mobile as Endo, nor is his fitness as reliable - and he's on high wages with only a year left so his long term status in the team isn't as suitable.

I think that’s fair. 

Also on Gravenberch, he’d be classed as an U21 this season, which would allow another Non-HG player to come in. 

Thiago/Jones/Bajectic/Elliott /Mac Allister/Szoboszlai/Endo

If we sign one more, who loses out, as not everybody will play even with our regular fixtures. Obviously it wasn't an issue last year because Keita, Melo and Ox didn't count and Thiago had the same issues as always. We were effectively choosing three from Henderson, Fabinho, Milner and Elliott in a lot of games, three of whom were jaded and the other only a kid. 

Even if Thiago breaks down again, we're clearly already in a much better space, now particularly with the more defensive profile of Endo.  

One advantage this year is that we can make one or two effective substitutions in the middle in every game. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Is there anyone has access to one of those stats sites? How does endo compare to Lavia on the stats? Just curious as they've both played in struggling teams. 

Here's Endo (top) vs Lavia (bottom) from FBRef. My take from them is that Endo is a more rounded player, but loses out to Lavia on a few individual metrics - particularly in ball carrying and tackles/interceptions.

A lot of this is role-defined though.

image.png

image.png

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

If we sign one more, who loses out, as not everybody will play even with our regular fixtures. Obviously it wasn't an issue last year because Keita, Melo and Ox didn't count and Thiago had the same issues as always. We were effectively choosing three from Henderson, Fabinho, Milner and Elliott in a lot of games, three of whom were jaded and the other only a kid. 

Even if Thiago breaks down again, we're clearly already in a much better space, now particularly with the more defensive profile of Endo.  

One advantage this year is that we can make one or two effective substitutions in the middle in every game. 

Bajcetic,Harvey and Jones start all the Europa/donestic cup games

--------------------Kelleher 

Bradley--Gomez--Matip--Tsimikas 

---------------------Bajcetic 

-----------Elliot---------------Jones

Doak------------Nunez-----------?

30 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I keep forgetting about Jones- which is shit of me as he's played well enough to be getting a start 

36 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Again, can’t see the source actually saying this. 

Belgium international. Left footed centre back or left back. 

IMG_9778.jpeg

Im trying to work out if its an optical illusion or he does indeed have really shit hair

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

As much as we all hate to admit it, Klopp is largely culpable for some of this. 

The biggest mistake Kloppo made was to insist on re-signing that washed up fraud Henderson.

Not only were we saddled with a massive salary for a guy who offered nothing offensively, defensively or anything in a non pointing and whining sort of way, it only served to break the working relationship he had with Michael Edwards.

I'd like to think a quick phone call and "You were right, I was wrong, Henderson was crap all along" could repair things?

52 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

All the reports are that Klopp has more control than ever, he hand picked his transfer guy and this window has been an utter shambles. We can do as much good work as we like between now and the end of the window but it won’t undo the mess that came before. It’s also came to light that Klopp favoured extending deals for washed out players over signing future worldies. 

"All the reports..." Pure confirmation bias. It's a ragbag of gossip and speculation that has absolutely no solid foundation.

"It's also come to light" - ditto. This is spectacular shit-shovelling.

9 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Im trying to work out if its an optical illusion or he does indeed have really shit hair

He has shit hair. Like a hybrid of Kalvin Phillips and Marc Cucurella. 

For that reason alone, I’m out. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

Has Japanese Jay actually signed anything or did he realize we are not Chelsea and changed his mind? Wasn't there supposed to be a medical yesterday?

There are pics of him coming out of his medical and getting into THE Merc, and a pic of him at Anfield. It's done, baby. Relax.

• Upvote 1