You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 hour ago, YNWAViking said:

Trent is a great guy but he's always struggling defensively, whatever Klopp says. I want a RB (or 6 for that matter) that can defend. Simple as that. At times it's like we play with 3 at the back. It's a big big problem. Vs Chelsea I saw him WALKING back at times, while everyone else was running. Very very poor. He's a good passer of the ball but that's not enough in today's football, not even close. 

Against Chelsea he made a few very good clearances and interceptions. Including one which he cleared when a tap in was about to happen 3 yards out.

People only see what they want to see. Some have bought so blindly into the "Trent cant defend" narrative that they simply ignore his good defensive actions during the game. Note, I'm not saying he is a top defender but I'm saying he isn't as terrible as made out.

• Upvote 8

3 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Against Chelsea he made a few very good clearances and interceptions. Including one which he cleared when a tap in was about to happen 3 yards out.

People only see what they want to see. Some have bought so blindly into the "Trent cant defend" narrative that they simply ignore his good defensive actions during the game. Note, I'm not saying he is a top defender but I'm saying he isn't as terrible as made out.

Last paragraph here is spot on.

9 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Trent's issue is; far too often he doesn't want to defend, and it's extremely apparent. Before he'd made a name for himself, he had the desire and he was not a bad defender. 

There are things he does well during matches defensively, obviously, but the questions about his position have only arisen because it seems as if he hates to do it from right back. 

That's why the should he play midfield question was stupid for a long time, but now it feels stupid not to ask it. You can't have a player on the pitch who so blatantly hates a big part of what he has to do.

• Upvote 1

Imagine if we were at home yesterday had spent hundreds of millions over the past year and the narrative was that we fought a plucky draw and were unlucky. That’s how Chelsea, hardly Luton town are being viewed after yesterday. Stay cool brothers and sisters. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I figured Edwards left because Klopp wields all the power, Edwards wanted to sign Guimaraes and Enzo Fernandez, Klopp wanted to renew Henderson and Milner, we know who won that battle.

So we are now having this as fact and not mere bollocks.

Edwards couldn't have left because he wanted a break after 10 years at the club and 7 years as DoF? It had to be because two players got their contracts extended instead of two targets he wanted to sign.

I guess we are now getting into the territory of all the successful transfers being credited to Edwards while the failures are Klopp's fault. *rolls eyes*

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Complacency. There was a comment from people who work at the club before we signed Arthur - below. Another comment stands out when we were chasing Bellingham, along the lines of he has to choose us. I mean do we really think a hug from Klopp, his presence and shouting we are Liverpool will make up for a shortfall in wages offered. Us supporters can rightly basque and enjoy Klopps adventures he has given us,  but what we did in the last few years is behind us and other clubs, Everton aside are being run more efficiently. Even the poorest English clubs can financially outmuscle top Spanish and Italian teams. 

The owners have been around European football long enough to know football, their words back in 2010 "football is sort of like the wild west". You cant bleat about FFP and underhand shenanigans which i think are disgusting but they chose to enter this field. One other thing I'm not liking is this narrative building of blaming Klopp for some of these transfer messes. I'm struggling with the fact a 3-5 billion company run as an investment with experienced investors would allow one man  (Klopp) to choose how much is bid or how much wages is spent on player x. It makes no sense. 

“The people I know at Liverpool tell me the same thing every single year. Their aim at this stage of the window is to turn on Sky Sports News and laugh at all of the news from all of the other clubs, a lot of which they knew far in advance. Liverpool are very clued up and I don’t think they’re forced by injuries. If the right opportunity comes, we will wait and see.”

The "Klopp is to blame narrative " is getting more traction because some people would rather divert attention away from FSG's failings while crediting Michael Edwards as an infallible hero.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Edwards couldn't have left because he wanted a break after 10 years at the club and 7 years as DoF? It had to be because two players got their contracts extended instead of two targets he wanted to sign.

I guess we are now getting into the territory of all the successful transfers being credited to Edwards while the failures are Klopp's fault. *rolls eyes*

I mean, the things I've written about Edwards being overruled by Klopp are facts, and it's my opinion that it's events like that which were contributory factors to Edwards' departure.

We all know Klopp is far too loyal, it's by far his biggest failing, and he was exactly the same at Dortmund.

19 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Trent's issue is; far too often he doesn't want to defend, and it's extremely apparent. Before he'd made a name for himself, he had the desire and he was not a bad defender. 

There are things he does well during matches defensively, obviously, but the questions about his position have only arisen because it seems as if he hates to do it from right back. 

That's why the should he play midfield question was stupid for a long time, but now it feels stupid not to ask it. You can't have a player on the pitch who so blatantly hates a big part of what he has to do.

That's a fair response, even if I dont fully agree that he doesn't want to defend. I think he just enjoys his game more in midfield and attacking situations.

You've done well to highlight a difference between "he can't defend" and "he doesn't want to defend". The one which angers me is the "he can't defend" narrative because he clearly can. He has cost us with his defensive lapses, that's true. But when our team is well set up and in good form, he defends well.

3 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

The owners have backed themselves into a corner now, they’ve shown how much we can spend and if we don’t back the manager then fuck them. Not even the bum boys could defend them. 

I mean, not necessarily. We have just seen an example of being ready to cough up incredible money for one player whilst simultaneously not paying up for another.

We'll sign someone. Maybe more than just one, but this player valuation thing is always a factor.

5 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

The owners have backed themselves into a corner now, they’ve shown how much we can spend and if we don’t back the manager then fuck them. Not even the bum boys could defend them. 

You know col that won't be the case. You're already seeing people on here pointing fingers at klopp rather than them. It's fucking astonishing. But they'll get their world soon enough, because klopp will be gone and we'll be fucked. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Pity we have pricks like this Lewis in our fanbase.

We blame twitter and football fans but really it's fucking scumbags and they're in every walk of life and they shouldn't  define any club, group or whatever the fuck they suppose to be supporting.  The gobshite who wrote that I hope at some point in his life he is embarrassed because if there's never a point then he's on a grim path.

5 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

That's a fair response, even if I dont fully agree that he doesn't want to defend. I think he just enjoys his game more in midfield and attacking situations.

You've done well to highlight a difference between "he can't defend" and "he doesn't want to defend". The one which angers me is the "he can't defend" narrative because he clearly can. He has cost us with his defensive lapses, that's true. But when our team is well set up and in good form, he defends well.

Trent was tactically targeted by Pochettino in the game. In Chelseas switch from defense to attack they constantly sweeped their play from Enzo in the middle to Chilwell on the left, because they knew he would have to focus on those defensive runs back in to position at every bloody moment. I think he handled it well, but it meant that he never gained momentum in the build-up.

34 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Maybe the partnership just worked really well (when it worked at all)? 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You know col that won't be the case. You're already seeing people on here pointing fingers at klopp rather than them. It's fucking astonishing. But they'll get their world soon enough, because klopp will be gone and we'll be fucked. 

Turns out someone can be bigger than the club.

I think the reality is there are people who understand John Henry is not getting on the horn with other clubs, much less player agents or players re: transfers. 

On the budget - it feels like Klopp (or whoever you want to suggest is at the wheel) has a certain amount he can work with - after that I can see him/someone needing approval. Hence Hogan taking on the Caicedo attempt.

Anything over @ 50 mil feels like.

7 minutes ago, MilanJovanovic said:

Trent was tactically targeted by Pochettino in the game. In Chelseas switch from defense to attack they constantly sweeped their play from Enzo in the middle to Chilwell on the left, because they knew he would have to focus on those defensive runs back in to position at every bloody moment. I think he handled it well, but it meant that he never gained momentum in the build-up.

however, most of their threat came down the other side.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Turns out someone can be bigger than the club.

I think the reality is there are people who understand John Henry is not getting on the horn with other clubs, much less player agents or players re: transfers. 

On the budget - it feels like Klopp (or whoever you want to suggest is at the wheel) has a certain amount he can work with - after that I can see him/someone needing approval. Hence Hogan taking on the Caicedo attempt.

Anything over @ 50 mil feels like.

I would say as he doesn't normally, or ever, anything over the club valuation. 

Budget and valuations are what fuck us. They are set by fsg and the fsg quants.