You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

10 minutes ago, Einch said:

We have no room to judge any other clubs recruitment. Shambles since Michael Edwards said he was moving on.

The market has changed, mate. I think Edwards understood as much, and that there's really no way to be successful in recruitment from now on, unless you are a small feeder club (won't get fleeced on deals and won't have to compete with the big clubs for signing, i.e. can make lots of sensible bargains with big sell-on-profits) or a club with no limits/no rules.

Players and agents (and said feeder-clubs are living in absolute dreamland at the moment, as they will willingly put clubs up against each other to push the best deal for the player, agents and clubs involved. The only real way to avoid this is to strike up some sort of shady agreement with the other clubs/owners that one doesn't compete against each other. Would probably be a legal nightmare if such a deal existed, so we won't do it, as we are too nice/lawful. The other solution is to put actual rules in place that can be enforced, but that's not going to happen under EU law either. In one, you're fucked if you're a big club and not owned by a state or super-duper-mega-wealthy owners with cash burning in your pockets.

The specific left centre back thing is a daft idea.  Robertson was crap yesterday but he still played largely as a left back in this formation.  I wouldn’t be playing a centre back there because they would have got slaughtered.  At some point Klopp is going to wake up and stop doing this stupid set up as well because it’s killing us and at that point you’ve wasted money.  I’m not against signing a centre back because of how injury prone ours are but a specific led sided one because of the current formation would be stupid.  We need to sign a right back and two midfielders that can come straight into the team.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

This is the lad who Brighton are meant to be getting in to replace Caicedo. 

He looks quite impressive. Although I’d question the standard of the opposition in some of the clips. 

It annoys me that we don’t take punts on players like this and bid for them later down the line for much higher fees. 

He is very good, as was Lesley. Chelsea will get him in a bit.

44 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

Who is our French football expert? 

What’s their opinion on Maxence Caqueret as a defensive midfielder? He’s looked quite attack minded in the bits I’ve seen of him. But seems able to cover ground well and constantly nicks the ball back off the opposition. Then reminds me a bit of Modric when he’s got the ball. Uses it well and can beat an opponent with a little feint. 

Not sure he’d be a conventional “number 6” type but he looks a very capable player. 

He isn't a lone 6. He is a 6/8 who is snapy in the tackle, good engine, gets forward.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Van Dijk was shite last season and the same again yesterday.

He's going to be a big problem for us.

I disagree about Fabinho, I thought he was rotten last season and his 'improvement' over the last few games was minimal. We were right to let him go.

He was fine yesterday? Clean the shite off your eyes?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Doyle is the new Pierce.

Go to Benfica and try and do a deal for Luis. Nearest we can get to Fab in his prime. Then try for Inacio for LCBz

I’ve got little clue about him as a player, but I doubt we’ll have the money for a CB after signing Luis, given our desperation and Benfica’s recent track record of fees for outgoing players. I doubt he’d go for much less than Caicedo.

5 minutes ago, TheSire said:

He was fine yesterday? Clean the shite off your eyes?

No shite in my eyes, he was all over the place a few times yesterday.

We should have been replacing him this summer too, not making him captain.

This is an extinction level event. 

Well done to everyone for not securing CL football at the same time as Saudi Arabia and Chelsea buy half the footballers with unlimited wealth. 

Last season demanded more answers from Klopp.  The intangible drop-off was just accepted by everyone. It didn't have to happen, it shouldn't have happened, but there was no explanation.  

We were extraordinarily shit, and even then we were lucky to finish with 67 points:

All this fucking nonsense about Tchouameni and Valverde is just embarrassing.  

3 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

This is an extinction level event. 

Well done to everyone for not securing CL football at the same time as Saudi Arabia and Chelsea buy half the footballers with unlimited wealth. 

CL shouldn’t make a difference though. It hasn’t to any of the other major clubs, who just eat the loss and keep spending. FSG have been running us on a sub-West Ham net spend, so it’s no wonder we lost out.

1 minute ago, TheDrowningMan said:

CL shouldn’t make a difference though. It hasn’t to any of the other major clubs, who just eat the loss and keep spending. FSG have been running us on a sub-West Ham net spend, so it’s no wonder we lost out.

Look at Arsenal spent a shitload without ucl football FSG being running us on the cheap especially since we won title

Big Jorg was a waste of a transfer window, he's rolled up triggered 1 release clause (Ward Done the MacAllister deal) sold the captain for £12m even though he had 2 years left and the Saudis were paying daft fees for everyone else, fucks up 2 major transfers very publicly (providing Lavia signs for the plastic flag wavers) and just seems totally out of his depth.

3 minutes ago, waddy78 said:

Big Jorg was a waste of a transfer window, he's rolled up triggered 1 release clause (Ward Done the MacAllister deal) sold the captain for £12m even though he had 2 years left and the Saudis were paying daft fees for everyone else, fucks up 2 major transfers very publicly (providing Lavia signs for the plastic flag wavers) and just seems totally out of his depth.

To be fair 12m for Henderson in the state he is in now and getting rid from that ridiculous contract we handed him early is superb business.

32m in total that can be put to much better use across 2 years.

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We are going to end up loaning some shit Jobber aren't we.

I've a really bad feeling if we don't get Lavia the club will take a "chance" and not sign anyone make excuses about no value or no one available and look to do something in January and rely on Klopp to do some magic. So pretty much how they've been operating since we won the league.

Of the things that have gone wrong this window, letting Milner, Henderson and Fabinho (and even more so Ox and Keita) go are at the absolute bottom of that list. They were all well past their best, and would all be detrimental to the way we are trying to play. Our problem with recruiting is we (the club/directors are living in fantasy land and have been suckered into believing players are actually coming to play for us for the history, fans and Klopp, when it's blatantly clear that money counts more than ever before.

Agree with the release clause shouts, that is the only way we can keep some kind of leverage, and only then if it's a player the oil clubs aren't keen on.

Edit: As I said in another post. I'm actually not that bothered about Lavia (or many other players either). If we can't get him, we'll see more of Bajcetic (and even Trent) in midfield. See if our academy and Klopp's coaching can get us competitive.

5 minutes ago, waddy78 said:

He joined a much less coherent operation, though. Given what we've seen, we were probably fortunate to get the two midfielders that we already have in. 

Also, while he's probably not at their level, Edwards and Ward did really well in getting great prices for those players we didn't need and Edwards also carried out The Great Coutinho Robbery. There's no deadwood left to shift now, we're back to the bare bones.