You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

28 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

This feels like a concerted effort to destablise us now.

Captain, midfield essential cog and potential break out star?

Both teh original deals looking ropey and this new one is an insulting fee.

What interest could the Saudi’s possibly have in destabilising Liverpool football club? It’s not like there’s a team in this league that they have a vested interest in or anything.

41 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

This feels like a concerted effort to destablise us now.

Captain, midfield essential cog and potential break out star?

Both teh original deals looking ropey and this new one is an insulting fee.

Are these the PIF funded clubs? Henderson's isn't one of those, is it?

31 minutes ago, etho said:

Luis Diaz won't be going anywhere

I don’t think anybody can be ruled out from leaving.

Saudi’s turning Hendo’s head is like the way The Joker turned Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight - even the most noble seem  is corruptible. 

15 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I don’t think anybody can be ruled out from leaving.

Saudi’s turning Hendo’s head is like the way The Joker turned Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight - even the most noble seem  is corruptible. 

This. Money talks in the dick swinging contest that is professional football.

I mean Tonali left his boyhood club for Newcastle. At least, he could say he wanted Champions League football and wanted to play in the Premier League bla bla bla. Yeah right, leaving a great club like AC Milan for Newcastle. Give me a break.

Only players that you would think would be guaranteed not to go there would be players worried about not making their national team or players who have a burning desire to win the biggest trophies rather than getting four times their salary. A good proportion would put professional pride of playing for a world famous club like us over going there. 

I think there is a real threat that this league will be ultimately admitted into European competitions and could become the biggest league in the world in terms of player quality down the line. The FA and the government let the Trojan Horse in, in terms of Saudi ownership of the Geordies and I don't really have much faith in UEFA being much better in terms of making sure the Saudis don't get in to our competitions, especially if a lot of top players go there and they get thrown a huge pot of money. You can bet they get the world cup in 2030 over the South American bid or the joint Spanish/Portuguese one.

Klopp has a boner for broken Chiesa, I could see a mega bid for Diaz being appealing if it means getting a forward who is a better fit in terms of pace and goals. I hope not though because there’s something special about Diaz and when it fully comes to fruition with him it’ll be great to watch.

1 hour ago, Harry Squatter said:

A lot of words to try to convince the fanbase that there might not need to be any more signings. These local journos love it.

Headline - LIverPoOl will haVE tO RiP Up tHErE TranSfer pLanS.

Actual article - maybe Liverpool will have to sign a player over the age of 25.

If they start turning players heads and offer nonsense fees like supposedly quoted for Diaz then the governing body need to act( don’t laugh) ban them from internationals if they play fucking silly beggars. Won’t happen but should.

’ Hello Mr Liverpool boss we wish to offer Mr Luis Diaz £500kpw tax free, we will offer you the same as you paid. His head has been turned like a whirling dervish and he will not be putting any effort in till he leaves. Shukran.’

18 hours ago, an tha said:

The chances of it being worse than last season are pretty low IMO.

An injection of legs, mobility, athleticism, the ability to win challenges, youth and hunger - will see serious improvement - and what we lose on the experience and continuity and knowledge of how we are supposed to play swings will be comfortably compensated for with what we gain on the having midfielders who are not shot to fuck roundabout.

The good thing about Fabinho and Henderson leaving from an on pitch standpoint if it happens is that the technical level of the midfield increases. There's no one there right now who you look at and say "we can press him and he'll shit himself". So that's cool and I hope whoever else comes in, we can say the same.

But you need some kind of continuity. There's a reason teams don't just do 5 out 5 in at a position group in one summer. Is it bad for the long term? No, but you will probably not be good for a while and the only reason there will be so much turnover is because we'll be forced to. That's not a good position to be in. 

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Eh?

I don’t know what your job is, in mine we use past performance to try and predict future performance. Although not 100% accurate, it generally gives a reasonable expectation of how things will go. 

For example, Keita was constantly injured, he’s unreliable, you can’t trust him to available in the future. 

We’ve signed 2 players with very good injury records. Although there might be some occurrence where it isn’t in future, we can likely assume they will be available for the majority of games last season. 

Last season was incredibly disappointing, undebatable. However, there was a significant upwards trend at the end of the season that we weren’t as bad as we were showing. 

Ramsey, Phillips, Williams and VDB being no loss isn’t reductive. 327 mins / 4 games between 4 players. Klopp and team clearly don’t view to be good enough (currently or never will be) and they’ve been / are being moved on. 

Bradley, Morton and Quansah all had productive loan periods last season. Klopp and team seem to want to have a closer look at them. I’m not sure they’ll be around the first team squad come the end of the window, they’ve all earned the chance to prove themselves in pre-season. Bajectic took his chance last season, they should be afforded the same opportunity. 

I fully know that this will be pounced on by the usual masochists (HAHAHA HOW REVISIONIST, FLIP FLAPPING, ANYTHING TO GOBBLE HENRY…. and other such hilarious zingers) but what is the point in having an academy if we aren’t going to give players the opportunity to prove themselves when we don’t have any competitive games?

TAA was thrown in the deep end at Old Trafford and look at him now. Jones has taken longer and is now hopefully on course to be a regular first team squad member. Elliott still has a bit to learn, nobody can deny there isn’t a talented player in there. 

I realise this is deemed riskier than buying somebody established, isn’t the preferred solution to come from inside?

It’s up to the players. If they don’t take their opportunity, we look elsewhere.

Given all the rumours, I suspect we’ll still end up buying players. There isn’t 3 weeks to go, there is > 7. 

And as for “we’ve had a shite squad for years”….if you say so. 

Instead of complaining about the numbers that have left, has anybody actually bothered to see what players we have who are actually still at the club and available? 

Look sir, I totally appreciate and respect your perspective but I just think we have different views on our squad health, approach to transfers, squad planning and ownership.

There are three weeks and 5 days to go until the start of the season. I don't give a fuck when the transfer window closes, after last season the priority should be starting with a bang.

Sorry but Bradley, Morton and Quansah are just names being listed. They have proven the square root of fuck all. I won't entertain any arguments from folks that say they've earned the right to be given a chance because it doesn't lessen the need for first team players. Doak has earned the right but he is third choice behind Salah, Szobozlai (and potentially fourth choice behind Elliott). That is how it should be.

We need two midfielders and a CB. We need at least two of that group to be signed in the next three weeks. Those are the only facts that matter.

6 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

The problem we've got is that we've got to try and buy players that don't have release clauses.

We have to do what nearly every other club in the world does and engage in the transfer market and strike deals. We cant dictate to the market, we can't go another window doing the absolute minimum. The problem we may have is do we have to stomach to take a bit more risk financially. Before the Saudi interest in players almost every man and his dog said we have to big this window its the price of standing still. Mac Allister and Szoboszlai is a great start.