You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

58 minutes ago, dave u said:

Firstly, apologies for the site downtime. This was necessary because the site crashed on Sunday following a *checks notes* “ddos attack”. No, I don't really know what that is either, but it's not good.

There then followed all manner of other issues related to a corrupt database and I decided the best way to proceed was to upgrade the site to the latest forum software which would be more secure and should run quicker. It needed to be done anyway but I was hoping to get to the World Cup break and do it then, but this forced my hand.

Unfortunately that takes time. The upgrade was quick but because there were so many customisations and plug ins from the previous version of the software and most of them were not compatible with the new version, I basically had to rebuild it from the ground up.

The forum side of things seems fine but the other areas of the site (articles, match reports etc) still needs some cosmetic work because all of the things that made it look nice with pictures and things no longer work and I’ll need to find a solution to that. The main thing was getting the forum working so we could get back online.

There’s bound to be all sorts of little things going wrong so feel free to post anything you notice in this thread so I can work my way through them.

There are still some updates that might need to be made and there are a load of tasks running in the background which might slow things down. I don't know how the server will cope and I may need to switch it off again from time to time if it gets too slow, but when all the background tasks are finished things should be fine.

So as I say, anything untoward you spot, just let me know and I'll add it to the to do list.

Ask the hosting provider to block icmp traffic to its public ip address?

3 hours ago, dave u said:

Firstly, apologies for the site downtime. This was necessary because the site crashed on Sunday following a *checks notes* “ddos attack”. No, I don't really know what that is either, but it's not good.

There then followed all manner of other issues related to a corrupt database and I decided the best way to proceed was to upgrade the site to the latest forum software which would be more secure and should run quicker. It needed to be done anyway but I was hoping to get to the World Cup break and do it then, but this forced my hand.

Unfortunately that takes time. The upgrade was quick but because there were so many customisations and plug ins from the previous version of the software and most of them were not compatible with the new version, I basically had to rebuild it from the ground up.

The forum side of things seems fine but the other areas of the site (articles, match reports etc) still needs some cosmetic work because all of the things that made it look nice with pictures and things no longer work and I’ll need to find a solution to that. The main thing was getting the forum working so we could get back online.

There’s bound to be all sorts of little things going wrong so feel free to post anything you notice in this thread so I can work my way through them.

There are still some updates that might need to be made and there are a load of tasks running in the background which might slow things down. I don't know how the server will cope and I may need to switch it off again from time to time if it gets too slow, but when all the background tasks are finished things should be fine.

So as I say, anything untoward you spot, just let me know and I'll add it to the to do list.

Maybe look at putting the site behind Cloudflare. It would protect against most types of DDoS, plus a whole lot more. 

• dave u unpinned this topic