You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Myanmar

Bjornebye

This is a country where some post-colonial dictator thought LHD vehicles on RHD roads was a good idea, and where another regime decided to build a capital city with loads of infrastructure yet have barely anyone living there. They've been arse-backwards for decades.

On 25/07/2022 at 17:27, Trumo said:

This is a country where some post-colonial dictator thought LHD vehicles on RHD roads was a good idea, and where another regime decided to build a capital city with loads of infrastructure yet have barely anyone living there. They've been arse-backwards for decades.

Yeah, but through those decades they were loyal customers for our arms industry, so, y'know, swings and roundabouts.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Cunts

I have lived in SE Asia for decades and nothing surprises me anymore. The whole region is awash with illegitimate government that have grabbed power, rig elections and use the military against their own civilians. That's before you get into the government corruption which is off the charts. I have done some work in Myanmar in the past but been sometime since I have been there. This event has not even been reported in the Bangkok Post. Quite a cowardly attack, exactly what you would expect. The UN and especially the World Bank are a waste of space, they prop up governments in this regions with the capital they make available, then pay lip-service when they commit another atrocity. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fallen Angel said:

I have lived in SE Asia for decades and nothing surprises me anymore. The whole region is awash with illegitimate government that have grabbed power, rig elections and use the military against their own civilians. That's before you get into the government corruption which is off the charts. I have done some work in Myanmar in the past but been sometime since I have been there. This event has not even been reported in the Bangkok Post. Quite a cowardly attack, exactly what you would expect. The UN and especially the World Bank are a waste of space, they prop up governments in this regions with the capital they make available, then pay lip-service when they commit another atrocity. 

Just like everywhere else then.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Just like everywhere else then.

Different scale. Cambodia, has opposition parties imprisoned, or else in exile just before a ‘free’ election. Thailand and Myanmar are both under a military junta’s following a coup. Lao and Vietnam are both single party dictatorships. Dissenters disappear, never to be heard from again…

12 minutes ago, Fallen Angel said:

Different scale. Cambodia, has opposition parties imprisoned, or else in exile just before a ‘free’ election. Thailand and Myanmar are both under a military junta’s following a coup. Lao and Vietnam are both single party dictatorships. Dissenters disappear, never to be heard from again…

If the Tories had their way we'd be the same. Fortunately for them they just buy the media instead. Much easier.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Been going on there for centuries. I know Burma was a colonial name, but Myanmar isn't much better, just solidifies the claim of the central region to dominion over the rest of the country. It's a very diverse yet rural country, prejudice plays out in all sorts of brutal ways. 

Went there when I was younger, crossed from Thailand with a charity team, visited some displaced peoples and a rebel barracks. Preferred the games of football in mea sot refugee camp, the barracks was terrifying, really. Not even just the guns and general threat of the war, we found a bloody king cobra in camp!