You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Homelessness

Anubis

1 hour ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Most and I mean about 90% are addicts of some sort so spend everything they can on stuff. It was spice where I was. Can't remember exactly but on remand you cant do a 'proper' job so money is tight. This is when the weak get into shit with debt and the like with the nasty mob.

The weak?

44 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Homelessness is simply a symptom. The real problem is addiction. Whatever it is booze vallies smack etc. Until you hit that you are wasting your time. Give addicts the stuff they use in a controlled environment with access to health care. take it from there.

And addiction is a symptom of bigger problems people have, these just tend to manifest in addiction problems because unfortunately some drugs push certain buttons in the brain that give people temporary relief.

Because we don't know how to deal with mental health issues as a society, people fall into the trap of self medicating which might work in the short term, it always fucks people in the long run.

It starts off as pleasure seeking and eventually becomes a grind of just keeping withdrawal at bay.

10 minutes ago, TheSire said:

Dystopian. I remember noticing the same. Wouldn't be surprised if the tories went round killing all homeless people. Psychopaths. 

We do live in a dystopian society. What freedom we think we have is limited in many ways including cost of living. And there are plenty of tories who would happily see homeless/forrins run over by tanks rather than ever suggest helping them. And I don’t just mean Tory mp’s. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

We do live in a dystopian society. What freedom we think we have is limited in many ways including cost of living. And there are plenty of tories who would happily see homeless/forrins run over by tanks rather than ever suggest helping them. And I don’t just mean Tory mp’s. 

Just weirdo cunts who serve no purpose but to further their own interests, fuck everyone else. In fact they actively enjoy being spiteful and seeing 'lesser' people suffer.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, TheSire said:

And addiction is a symptom of bigger problems people have, these just tend to manifest in addiction problems because unfortunately some drugs push certain buttons in the brain that give people temporary relief.

Because we don't know how to deal with mental health issues as a society, people fall into the trap of self medicating which might work in the short term, it always fucks people in the long run.

It starts off as pleasure seeking and eventually becomes a grind of just keeping withdrawal at bay.

It is probably not the right thing to say and often we are guilty of excusing behaviour but a lot of the people locked up are cunts. Stupid and addicts yes but still cunts who would steel your clothes if there was a pound in it.

2 hours ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Not sure mate around 8 years or so ago.

No disrespect mate but I think most people would remember when they were in prison, as a first timer it would be something you wouldn’t forget. Not denying you shared a cell with N S Fletcher like.

• Haha 1

Just now, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

No disrespect mate but I think most people would remember when they were in prison, as a first timer it would be something you wouldn’t forget. Not denying you shared a cell with N S Fletcher like.

I can barely remember my birthday mate and to be honest it was no big deal. In the grand scheme of things. I honestly have the memory of a goldfish.

58 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Like it or not when you are locked up with a load of other people if you are weak it soon shows. Whatever that weakness is it will soon be exposed

Fair

1 hour ago, A Red said:

Well, the judgement of homeless addicts and mentally health people doesn't tend to do them any long term good.

The point is that the judgement of people who assume they know what's best for them isn't doing any good.  You have to work with homeless people: imposing stuff on them doesn't work.

1 hour ago, Poor Scouser T said:

I can barely remember my birthday mate and to be honest it was no big deal. In the grand scheme of things. I honestly have the memory of a goldfish.

It’s hard to keep track of all the lies you tell, you big racist scumbag.

Whilst there is obviously a connection between mental health issues/drink or drugs and homelessness,like angry says it can affect anyone.

If they wanted to,the government could solve the issue overnight(like gnash says,they did during covid )

They simply don't want too.

• Upvote 2

The thing about being homeless is that it teaches you there is no safety net to life apart from money. You fall off the high wire and only your money will catch you, not family, friends or the state. Those people you see in tents in the shopping centre , they’ve only there becuase they didn’t have your money. If you fall off you hit the ground, hard. 

6 hours ago, Poor Scouser T said:

When I left her majesties hotel I had disowned everything, homes cars money etc just so the wife and kids did not get stung.

I was offered everything, flat, furnishings even down to cutlery. Not denying homelessness as massive problem but if a minor remand bod can be offered that assistance then surely serious cases are helped. Suspect it is more to do with dependence issues than help available.

Cunt. 

6 hours ago, A Red said:

Ok, lets see how this goes down.

As a society we treat people that sleep rough or forever in and out of homelessness due to addiction or mental health, as the same as people that function normally. In other words they get the same human rights. I would contend that they should be forced to go into mental health/addiction facilities and given full treatment and rehabilitation before going into halfway hostels before being let loose into society again. Whilst being mentored and supported.

We don't give such people the tools to be able to cope with life as best they can, they just live a life of misery ending up in premature death, disowned and unwanted.

Completely dehumanising people in this way is a massive part of the problem. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Completely dehumanising people in this way is a massive part of the problem. 

People can be sectioned now, its done for their own good. Taking the vulnerable addicts and mentally ill off the streets in to secure rehabilitation centres is just an extension of that.

The alternative is to try to support them but relying on them to also support themselves, it usually doesn't work. The mentally ill wont self medicate, the addicts wont go anywhere where they cant feed their addiction and the cycle continues.

You think its dehumanising them, I really don't see any alternative. Please bear in mind I'm only talking about severe cases involving addicts and mentally ill.

10 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The point is that the judgement of people who assume they know what's best for them isn't doing any good.  You have to work with homeless people: imposing stuff on them doesn't work.

Yes, unless they are mentally ill or severe addicts, as I have said, in which case you have no choice but to impose stuff on them if you want them to have any chance of ever living a decent life.

16 minutes ago, A Red said:

Yes, unless they are mentally ill or severe addicts, as I have said, in which case you have no choice but to impose stuff on them if you want them to have any chance of ever living a decent life.

It's almost impossible to 'impose stuff' on someone suffering addiction. The drug is their boss. The lack of help available means the police are having to try to fill the gaps left by a rundown care and social service sector. They've got an impossible job. It just becomes a rotating door of locked up, let out. 

Almost all who leave prison have to abide by restrictions and need to go to a medical center to receive some sort of substitute drug for their addiction, if its heroin its normally Methadon or Subertex. If they don't attend they get their benefits stopped and are in breach of their licence which normally results in a recall to prison. So not a lot else can be 'imposed on them'. 

21 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

It's almost impossible to 'impose stuff' on someone suffering addiction. The drug is their boss. The lack of help available means the police are having to try to fill the gaps left by a rundown care and social service sector. They've got an impossible job. It just becomes a rotating door of locked up, let out. 

Almost all who leave prison have to abide by restrictions and need to go to a medical center to receive some sort of substitute drug for their addiction, if its heroin its normally Methadon or Subertex. If they don't attend they get their benefits stopped and are in breach of their licence which normally results in a recall to prison. So not a lot else can be 'imposed on them'. 

You seem to just be talking about prison, I'm talking about all severe addicts and mentally ill. In these severe cases, often, any voluntary actions they are required to do don't happen and the cycle continues. 

1 hour ago, A Red said:

People can be sectioned now, its done for their own good. Taking the vulnerable addicts and mentally ill off the streets in to secure rehabilitation centres is just an extension of that.

That's the problem.

1 hour ago, A Red said:

The alternative is to try to support them but relying on them to also support themselves, it usually doesn't work. The mentally ill wont self medicate, the addicts wont go anywhere where they cant feed their addiction and the cycle continues.

That's proven to be untrue.  Supporting people to take control of their own lives is the approach that works best.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, A Red said:

Like I say, there's stacks of evidence from all over the world that proves that isn't true.