You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football 22/23

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Boehly's the stupidest person to enter football in a while. Even if the spending comes good eventually, he's shown he's a complete clown.

Frpm Popbitch:

"In a recent meeting with some agents, the American was asked how he planned to recoup his £500mil shopping spree.

Boehly assured them he could easily afford to spunk the cash because Chelsea qualify automatically for the Champions League each year, earning millions in TV money.

After an awkward silence, one agent explained that Chelsea did not qualify automatically, and were unlikely to make it next season as they are currently 10th in the league.

"That's nonsense! We're in it every year," Boehly chuckled, before excusing himself from the meeting.

After consulting his team, he returned a few minutes later and admitted he'd got it wrong."

• Haha 4

On 05/01/2023 at 22:17, No2 said:

Might be a smart career move to resign and call the owners a shambles. He's getting sacked before Easter 100% and he's done at that stage.

Potter should have listened to me, once he stood by and watched player after player arrive he should have resigned. He would be at Spurs now if he did or even a candidate to replace Jurgen when the time comes. Now he's 5 years from being back where was in September. 

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Boehly has underestimated the power players have in football, especially in the premier league, compared to American sports where they can be released/waived or optioned far easier.

Going to be tough when he's trying to trade away Mudryk's contract 3 years in for a few youth team players and cash considerations and he refuses to leave.

1 hour ago, Tj hooker said:

If Spurs win tomorrow and lets face it nothing is guaranteed where those bums are concerned then Tyler's boys slip out of the top 4 

United are currently in 4th position and a mere 3 points ahead of where they were last season after 27 games. At this stage last season, they had sacked Ole and were openly mocking his replacement. They are on course for 70 points. That would only have achieved a champions league spot in 2 of the past 6 years, and one of theose was the covid season. Both Mourinho and Solksjaer averaged higher in their 2 full seasons at Old Trafford and were given the bullet. 

Erik Ten Hag has spent £215m. Klopp had bought 7 players that started in a champions league final by the time he had spent that much money. ETH has spent 205m net, Kloppo spent about 115m net to win the CL and premier league. I never realised winning the Carabao cup garnered this much accolades. 

Ten Hag must have the greatest PR team on the planet. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 7

18 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Frpm Popbitch:

"In a recent meeting with some agents, the American was asked how he planned to recoup his £500mil shopping spree.

Boehly assured them he could easily afford to spunk the cash because Chelsea qualify automatically for the Champions League each year, earning millions in TV money.

After an awkward silence, one agent explained that Chelsea did not qualify automatically, and were unlikely to make it next season as they are currently 10th in the league.

"That's nonsense! We're in it every year," Boehly chuckled, before excusing himself from the meeting.

After consulting his team, he returned a few minutes later and admitted he'd got it wrong."

Please be true.

5 minutes ago, Razoray said:

United are currently in 4th position and a mere 3 points ahead of where they were last season after 27 games. At this stage last season, they had sacked Ole and were openly mocking his replacement. They are on course for 70 points. That would only have achieved a champions league spot in 2 of the past 6 years, and one of theose was the covid season. Both Mourinho and Solksjaer averaged higher in their 2 full seasons at Old Trafford and were given the bullet. 

Erik Ten Hag has spent £215m. Klopp had bought 7 players that started in a champions league final by the time he had spent that much money. ETH has spent 205m net, Kloppo spent about 115m net to win the CL and premier league. I never realised winning the Carabao cup garnered this much accolades. 

Ten Hag must have the greatest PR team on the planet. 

Incredible numbers.  I forget how good Klopp is. Thankfully nobody listens to me.

Hopefully they don't get a caretaker manager bounce on Tuesday night.

In further Leicester fan news, Ralph Hasenhuttl is another name that's in the running, though why you would get another manager who goes through spells of having his team looking decent and scoring goals interspersed with spells when they cannot score, cannot defend and cannot be arsed is beyond me.

I think Boehly should go for England Lionheart CFC Legend JT but it's likely Chelsea will go all out for Nagelsmann, leaving Spurs clear to push for Potter. They tend to hire managers who were sacked by Chelsea anyway.

18 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Boehly has underestimated the power players have in football, especially in the premier league, compared to American sports where they can be released/waived or optioned far easier.

Going to be tough when he's trying to trade away Mudryk's contract 3 years in for a few youth team players and cash considerations and he refuses to leave.

You would think someone at Chelsea would have told him about former players like Bogarde and Drinkwater when he thought it was a good idea to start handing out seven and eight year contracts to new players. You can guarantee some of those signings are going to look like stinkers 2 years down the line. 

4 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Incredible numbers.  I forget how good Klopp is. Thankfully nobody listens to me.

Liverpool and Chelsea have had abnormally shit seasons. Even an average one from both would have United battling with Spurs, Newcastle and Brighton for 5th. Besides winning the Milk cup, they are having a normal United season. Yes, they are in the quarters of the Europa but they have won and lost the final of that under Jose and Ole. 

We obviously need to sort our shit out but United won't win any of the 2 major trophies in a long while, in my opinion,  unless they are pumped full of oil money. If that does happen, I'd expect that Ten Hag's reign would be shortlived anyway.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Potter should have listened to me, once he stood by and watched player after player arrive he should have resigned. He would be at Spurs now if he did or even a candidate to replace Jurgen when the time comes. Now he's 5 years from being back where was in September. 

I don’t think getting sacked by Chelsea hurts him too badly. People know that job is a poisoned chalice so there’s no reputational damage  to losing it.

He’s also significantly richer than he was 7 months ago.

Potter couldn't not take the Chelsea job when he was offered it but they were/are completely the wrong club for his style of management/coaching. 

The whole Chelsea structure seems a complete mess, multiple people making big decisions and a 'owner' who hasn't a clue about the game.

I could easily see Potter getting the Leicester job and doing a good job for the next couple of seasons before getting a crack at another top 6 job or the England job.

On another note great game in Serie A tonight with a couple of corking goals.  Napoli probably holding something back for the upcoming CL games. 

Had the unfortunate moment to see 30 minutes of West Ham v Southampton today.  God the PL is utter fucking shite.  Awash with money but a piss poor standard and the atmosphere at games is utterly embarassing compared to Bundesliga.  That league is masively suffering from Bayern's dominance but they really do the actual matchday football thing right.  Chalk & Cheese compared to our fucking country

• Upvote 1

Chelsea fan Henry Winter on Potter:

"But a Chelsea manager? They’re a different breed. Potter never sounded like one; whatever outsiders might think, Chelsea fans want a head coach with a bit of their swagger, a bit of José Mourinho’s cockiness".

Talk about rewriting history. Among this 'different breed' of swaggering stylists are John Hollins, Ian Porterfield, Geoff Hurst, Claudio Ranieri, David Webb, Avram Grant, John Neal and Bobby Gould. Peel off the laminated cover of your lyric sheet, and turn the pages back to before Father Bates spunked his load into your empty vaults, and that, Henry, is your actual tradition. Potter wasn't an aberration from the Chelsea manager template - if anything, he represented a return to it.

Rodgers reminds me of those old battery-operated toy robots that kids would get at Christmas - they'd turn them on, be delighted as they marched purposefully forward, and then cry when they hit the wall and fell over on their backs.

Rodgers is a good coach but a limited manager. He can get a team playing to a good level, but then it's as if something short circuits in his head and he's just a lost soul on the touchline. 

• Upvote 1