You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone’s Having a Real Laugh - How Long Until They ‘Bin Bag’ Ten Hag?

10 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Have to disagree upon the part about Mourinho still being an incredrible manager at that time.

He was way past his best and only survived as long as he did because of his reputation. He didnt get acceptable results concidering the resources at his disposal, and he left the club and the squad in a bad condition. I think he did a poor job there, and former achievements can’t hide that,

Some of these may have been purchased by the club, rather than suggestions by Mourinho, but most were his calls.

He spent over £400m (when £400m was worth something) for Pogba, Lukaku, Fred, Matic, Mkhitaryan, Bailly, Lindelof, Sanchez and Dalot. 

He was a busted flush at United. Look at the jobs he has had since. 

2 hours ago, Barnesey said:

Kieran McKenna, the Ipswich manager, is a Utd fan apparently. Would be an interesting appointment but I don’t think they’d have the balls

He is from London and played underage with Spurs until he retired early through injury. He was an underage coach there until he moved to united, and then graduated to first team assistant under Mourinho and Solksjaer. 

There isnt a hope in hell he'd move from Ipswich to Man United. Although they got Solksjaer, so you never know

11 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Have to disagree upon the part about Mourinho still being an incredrible manager at that time.

He was way past his best and only survived as long as he did because of his reputation. He didnt get acceptable results concidering the resources at his disposal, and he left the club and the squad in a bad condition. I think he did a poor job there, and former achievements can’t hide that,

didnt he win them a cup and get them 2nd?

I think his tactics were certainly looking bit dated by then compared to jurgen and guardiola.

7 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

didnt he win them a cup and get them 2nd?

I think his tactics were certainly looking bit dated by then compared to jurgen and guardiola.

Yeah, but if ever there was something like a false points total, that would probably be the most egregious example of it in recent times (along with the penalty season under Ole).

The amount of times a "hoof it into the box to Fellaini and Pogba" -tactic succeeded late on in games was the biggest miracle I've seen in football, it was truly spectacular how many points they achieved that season relevant to the football that was played. 

Mourinho described it as his biggest achievement at the time, and I can sort of see where he was coming from. As for the cups, that's always been his biggest strength, setting up sides in accordance with the opposition. Winning leagues with his tactics these days, I don't think so. He'd probably struggle to get it done even with the player material at City.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

You know what Joey, I knew he was backed heavily, but didn't realise it was that much. 

Having said that, he was a legendary manager and even if he was on the way down, imagine replacing someone like him with Ole. It's actually laughable that Ole got the gig off the back of an amazing two or three months and then for the few years he was there, just when they were getting ready to pull the trigger, he would somehow survive off the back of ramdom results like beating City away. Like a little mouse in an open field somehow surviving the bombs dropping from the sky.

Ten Haag is actually more destructive to them than Ole. I mean Ole was a complete clown, but at least he seemed like he tried to foster team spirit. This gobshite is a complete twat who takes no responsibility for his own failings. I wager the spirit there is as toxic as it's ever been. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

You know what Joey, I knew he was backed heavily, but didn't realise it was that much. 

Having said that, he was a legendary manager and even if he was on the way down, imagine replacing someone like him with Ole. It's actually laughable that Ole got the gig off the back of an amazing two or three months and then for the few years he was there, just when they were getting ready to pull the trigger, he would somehow survive off the back of ramdom results like beating City away. Like a little mouse in an open field somehow surviving the bombs dropping from the sky.

Ten Haag is actually more destructive to them than Ole. I mean Ole was a complete clown, but at least he seemed like he tried to foster team spirit. This gobshite is a complete twat who takes no responsibility for his own failings. I wager the spirit there is as toxic as it's ever been. 

that ole period was glorious

remember he would never park in the managers spec because it was "sir alex's, the grovelling little shitbag,

and you had gary neville constantly saying he just needed to be backed properly (net spend about half a mill)

it was a sad day when he was jettisoned..

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Exactly. Ole seemed likeable at least within their camp. This guy doesn't have any charisma, he comes across as a egoistic maniac who doesn't take any responsibility and happily blames the players after every bad result. 

3 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

This shows you where they are at as a group of players.

Imagine genuinely trying to blame losing at home to the likes of Palace and Galatasaray on your kit being too tight!

I mean, they've blamed losses on the colour of their kit before

5 hours ago, Barnesey said:

Kieran McKenna, the Ipswich manager, is a Utd fan apparently. Would be an interesting appointment but I don’t think they’d have the balls

McKenna would be a really bold move, he's worked miracles getting Ipswich promoted and then up to second in the Championship on a very limited budget.

The United fan base doesn't have the patience and would be slating him for not being a big enough name etc. It's a near on impossible job trying to satisfy them!

51 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

that ole period was glorious

remember he would never park in the managers spec because it was "sir alex's, the grovelling little shitbag,

and you had gary neville constantly saying he just needed to be backed properly (net spend about half a mill)

it was a sad day when he was jettisoned..

It was a golden age. With Moyes, you wanted to enjoy it, but you felt that once the experiment failed and they got an a list manager like Van Gaal or Mourinho, they would be back pretty fast - that's what I thought back then anyway. I used to just love how when they went on a little run, Ole would get super cocky.

Imagine not wanting to park in Ferguson's parking spot. If I was a world class player and I heard that, I'd piss myself. It only impressed the likes of Martin Tyler and a sad part of their fanbase. Well maybe media types who love a good soundbite. You know what maybe Ole was on to something because that shite brought him a bit of goodwill!

25 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Exactly. Ole seemed likeable at least within their camp. This guy doesn't have any charisma, he comes across as a egoistic maniac who doesn't take any responsibility and happily blames the players after every bad result. 

Ole seemed like he wanted to be loved by his players. It works if you're a brilliant manager like Jurgen. Hell even a decent enough manager like Dyche was liked at Burnley and will get a similar spirit at the Blueshite.

Having said that, at least Ole seemed like a team guy and probably defended the spineless gang of knobheads a little too much.

Ten Haag is the opposite. He's spineless and never at fault. Jurgen takes responsibility. Pep does too at times and he's an egotistocal knobhead, as does other greats like Ancelloti. This guy thinks he's above that.

15 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

McKenna would be a really bold move, he's worked miracles getting Ipswich promoted and then up to second in the Championship on a very limited budget.

The United fan base doesn't have the patience and would be slating him for not being a big enough name etc. It's a near on impossible job trying to satisfy them!

McKenna looks like a real prospect, but in fairness, would you want him to replace Jurgen? Us and them are the two mega clubs in the league and it's a huge step up from Ipswich to suddenly dealing with what is required to manage them.

I mean Stevie at one point was mooted as a possible Jurgen replacement and I was scared shitless at him coming here with just Rangers on his cv. I wanted to see him do it at a very big club in England like a Villa and he failed the audition. By the way, Rangers and Celtic are huge clubs, it's more the difference in the leagues than a slight on them.

• Upvote 1

If they hire a new gaffer and Manu end 8th in the league, they'll all be screaming. They all seem to believe they have some devine right to be the best club in England, and 8th is just unaccetable.

When Kloppo ended 8th in his firt season here, we all looked at it as a new beginng.

To lead a top football club it's not enough to know the football stuff, you need to be a an expert psychologist as well. Klopp is both, ten Hag is neither.

On 27/10/2023 at 13:43, Captain Turdseye said:

I was stood next to @Red74 at Old Trafford for the 5-0. One of my favourite games I’ve seen live. I honestly thought it would never be topped but then we went and twatted ‘em 7-0 one year later while I was at home on the couch. 

What a day. Even with 10 mins to go I still thought we were gonna blow it

• Haha 1

Starting to feel like this is heading a disappointingly fast ending. 

Hopefully he can steer them through in the CL (I don’t want them ruining Dublin), be continually inconsistent in the league and then another absolute bum-holing at Anfield sees him fired.

3 hours ago, JustTosh said:

To lead a top football club it's not enough to know the football stuff, you need to be a an expert psychologist as well. Klopp is both, ten Hag is neither.

If only Klopp hadn’t turned them down…

…TWICE !!!

279F4327-FA2C-4AFC-902C-874A124042BE.gif