You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

8 hours ago, an tha said:

Our midfield options need an overhaul IMO.

It can't all be done in one window of course and i do wonder if we should be looking at starting that work in this window.

1 or 2 out and 1 in, followed by more in summer.

Yeah I agree. We havent had a player in mf who can go on a run beat players , score goalsand create chances for others since Stevie if my memory is correct. Keita and Ox both need moving on.

11 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Wommer - Are these one of those dodgy banks I have been reading about?

FAB as an example are probably as dodgy as all the other banks. They'll do whatever they think is appropriate for their shareholders if they believe they will not get caught/found guilty by the regulators. Their UK business is regulated by the FCA as well as the PRA. But there would be nothing to suggest from that previous article that any transaction between "Dubai" and Barca would come under that. It would instead come under the regulation of the UAE, which incidentally is the same people regulating as owning FAB. The very same people who've just sold a 20m failure to Barcelona for 55m. And the very same people who've made it their mission to out lawyer UEFA and the PL. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Can you imagine if we had the league's leading scorer. Or even the 2nd leading scorer. It would transform us. 

None of that addresses the actual point though. They both miss loads of chances. We need a Haaland type of player to win this league.

1 minute ago, Boss said:

None of that addresses the actual point though. They both miss loads of chances. We need a Haaland type of player to win this league.

I've never watched a striker who doesn't miss. And I wouldn't say Salah misses loads. And we won the league just 18 months ago with a number 9 who didn't score at home until the last few minutes of the season. Honestly, the last thing to worry about with this team is our forwards. We've scored 50 league goals already this season. Plus another 17 in the CL. And just set a record for the club for the most consecutive games we've scored in. Our midfield and defence have both been less than optimal though. In fact you could probably go as far as saying the midfield has been nothing above ordinary for most of the season in both directions. 

35 minutes ago, Boss said:

We need someone clinical upfront. The amount of chances we miss is insane. Vlahovic would revolutionise this team. 

As currently constituted, someone like Vlahovic doesn't fit our team at all. You're right it would revolutionize our team but it would revolutionize our team in that we'd have to change the way we have setup and played for the last 5 years. Will we do that? Probably not. 

The option off the bench could at least be a decent finisher. There are about a dozen strikers in Serie A, who would all cost less than £20m, who basically just bury chances from inside the box. They won't be dribbling past anyone, they can't run fast, they aren't going to press relentlessly, but if the ball drops to them 10 yards out they will stick it away.

We can't do what City do and spend hundreds of millions on squad players like (Dest, Tchouaméni, Wirtz, David and Bowen) who can come in when our other players get injured. So the only logical way we can improve this team radically is buy Haaland or Vlahovic and hope they can score like Lewandowski. That way the front three hit 90 goals a season and the midfield and defence look better because games are killed off early.

45 minutes ago, Boss said:

Our forward players, defenders and goalie aren't the problem, it's our midfield which is where we're lacking and fallen behind City.

With the exception of Thiago, our midfielders are all grafters. None of them are blessed with great pace, creativity, guile, vision, imagination or shooting ability.

It would be great to spend on another quality striker or wingers, but let's not kid ourselves.

1 minute ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Our forward players, defenders and goalie aren't the problem, it's our midfield which is where we're lacking and fallen behind City.

With the exception of Thiago, our midfielders are all grafters. None of them are blessed with great pace, creativity, guile, vision, imagination or shooting ability.

It would be great to spend on another quality striker or wingers, but let's not kid ourselves.

Our midfield isn't good enough, Shep, you're right, but I just don't see anyone out there that can radically change our midfield. I guess it's something for Edwards and his team to ponder.

7 minutes ago, Boss said:

Our midfield isn't good enough, Shep, you're right, but I just don't see anyone out there that can radically change our midfield. I guess it's something for Edwards and his team to ponder.

I disagree with that. The midfield is the easiest area that we can improve and change. Look at what we were doing with Elliott before he get injured. He's a technically gifted and hard working winger that we were turning into a centre mid.

There's loads of versatile, technically gifted players out there we could do something similar with. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I disagree with that. The midfield is the easiest area that we can improve and change. Look at what we were doing with Elliott before he get injured. He's a technically gifted and hard working winger that we were turning into a centre mid.

There's loads of versatile, technically gifted players out there we could do something similar with. 

I'll be honest; I saw nothing in Elliot's three or so games that made me think he was some radical transformative player for us. Same with Jones every game he plays. Not saying they aren't talented, but they're young. They're going to have four average games for every standout performance. Bellingham is the only one I could see having a serious impact, but he'd cost a fortune and then what happens if it's another Jadon Sancho situation?

4 minutes ago, Boss said:

I'll be honest; I saw nothing in Elliot's three or so games that made me think he was some radical transformative player for us. Same with Jones every game he plays. Not saying they aren't talented, but they're young. They're going to have four average games for every standout performance. Bellingham is the only one I could see having a serious impact, but he'd cost a fortune and then what happens if it's another Jadon Sancho situation?

Elliott was just an example of something we're concocting to try to improve the midfield, it's not hard in our case. There's loads of good midfielders out there. I don't think Bellingham is even close to being the only option. 

Just now, Boss said:

I'll be honest, I saw nothing in Elliot's three or so games that made me think he was some radical transformative player for us. Same with Jones every game he plays. Not saying they aren't talented, but they're young, they're going to have four average games for every stand out performance. Bellingham is the only one I could see having a serious impact but he'd cost a fortune and then what happens if it's another Jadon Sancho situation?

He looked miles ahead of Jones despite being younger.  We're not signing Bellingham he'd cost a fortune. 

Fuck knows who we're realistically looking at bar Bissouma at one point who'd be a good option when Fabinho is out though he has legal issues I believe.  After the cluster fucks that are Keita and Ox we can't afford to fuck it up again.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Elliott was just an example of something we're concocting to try to improve the midfield, it's not hard in our case. There's loads of good midfielders out there. I don't think Bellingham is even close to being the only option. 

I think it's actually harder than what you think. Fabinho is one of the top 3 defensive midfielders in world football. Thiago is one of the best midfielders in the world and Henderson was voted Premier League Football Writers Player of the Year 18 months ago. Elliot scored no goals and provided no assists, in three games where he was distinctly average. We need somebody world-class, or soon to be.

• Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, Boss said:

We can't do what City do and spend hundreds of millions on squad players like (Dest, Tchouaméni, Wirtz, David and Bowen) who can come in when our other players get injured. So the only logical way we can improve this team radically is buy Haaland or Vlahovic and hope they can score like Lewandowski. That way the front three hit 90 goals a season and the midfield and defence look better because games are killed off early.

I agree that we cant spend 100's of millions on squad players. I would say that we do not need to, to improve on the current incarnations of Chamberlain, Milner, Minamino, or Origi. The squad has clearly gone backwards (In my opinion) and has been going that way for a while. 

I still dont think we are miles behind City and i dont think it will be 15 point gap like some, however, i do think we have gone from a clearly better team 2 years ago to now a bit behind.

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Not really how it works tbh.

Look at Dortmund as an example. Their goalkeeper and defence are a shambles, yet they are always there or thereabouts because of their attack. Having a player like Haaland would cover a multitude of sins. It would make players like Ox, Keita and Robbo look better as well as taking the pressure off Van the Man to return to his pre-injury form.