You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Southampton 0 (May 8 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

A mate said after this that it feels like we’ve been playing the same game since January. It really does. For most of this game I was just thinking that this is more of the same we’ve seen in virtually every other game for months, especially at Anfield.

The only thing that changes is the result based on the small details, such as shot conversion, whether our defensive errors get punished or egregious VAR interventions.

The games themselves are pretty much the same other than the finer details. We play ok. Not anywhere near our best but rarely terrible either. We create plenty of good openings, some of which are turned into clear chances and some of which are converted. Mostly we’re just wasteful though.

And the opposition rarely dominates the game but they usually have three or four decent chances, at least one of which comes from a serious error from one of our players (more often than not Alisson). Sometimes they take one of those chances, sometimes they don’t. Thankfully this was one of the occasions when they didn’t.

Despite not having played for a couple of weeks we somehow seem to have picked up a load of injuries. We were so short of bodies for this one we had Ben Woodburn and Billy Koumetio on the bench. Don’t ask me where Ben Davies is. Injured, presumably, which is the second or third time even though he hasn’t played one second of first team football since he arrived.

Anyway, Kabak became the latest centre back to be struck down so Rhys Williams came in. Klopp did have other options. He could have dropped Fabinho back there and drafted in Jones, Ox or Shaq into midfield, but he went with Williams and that probably says a lot about how Klopp views his midfield options currently. Ox has been fit most of the season but we’ve barely seen him. He’s surely done here now. If he can’t get games in an injury ravaged season like this then he’s got no chance when everyone is fit.

Southampton probably saw our centre back pairing and thought they could have some joy there. Unfortunately for them they were without Ings, as he’d surely have given us plenty of problems. As it was, they had a few opportunities but for the most part our lads at the back did well.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Top report, Dave.

I think united play 3 times before city play again according to sky? So I think this bollocks about the gimp was going to throw the game against Leicester is a bit of an overreaction.

Yeah, he's going to change his team playing twice in less than 50 hours and 3 times in a week. Now with maguire a major doubt he would have done that anyway.

He'll no doubt make use of all his subs in these games as well I reckon. This is something I dont think Jurgen has managed properly as again, in this game, we looked in desparate need of fresh legs after 70 minutes, more so considering Hasenhutl slung on two subs around this time.

Not sure if anyone elsenoticed but when Thiago was celebrating his goal, I think Fabinho was on the touchline and looking like he was pointing down the side of his leg and getting a bit of attention? Hope he's ok for Thursday.

• Upvote 1

I just can't fathom with the players we do have available why we are so shite. It's been the same since the first lockdown slowly but surely becoming worse until the injuries to our centrebacks deepened the problems. We just look like a team that's on rails and no matter how degraded or what obstacles are in the path or if were falling apart they follow the laid out route, predictable and going through the motions. Salah scores so he's covered but everyone else including Klopp look like they can't be arsed and have performed terribly. Honestly is there anybody at the club this season who you think deserves better from their team mates because they've been stand out. They've all been mediocre as individuals and a unit.

Still love them though, they delivered dreams the last two seasons, my concern is this side is spent and with a busy footballing summer calender with our small squad of the injury prone and just plain average options next season is going to be even more gruelling. 

And now for the pessimism...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It is a mad stat indeed, regarding Salah and Mane. But them not combining for a goal is predictably being spun by some people to imply they've rarely been setting up chances for each other. I however don't think it is for want of trying.

I can recall at least 5 good chances Salah has set up for Mane in the past few games, which were all wasted. And there were at least 2 or 3 Mane set up for Salah in that period too, which also got wasted. I'm sure there were more such chances earlier in the season which all of us would have forgotten about too. Also, I reckon that stat is only for the PL. Because Salah has actually assisted Mane in the CL this season. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Disagree about Alisson, I thought he was superb and apart from that one error had a great game

Me too. He's such an awesome presence.

He did nearly cost us the 3 points though.

18 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Disagree about Alisson, I thought he was superb and apart from that one error had a great game

Great is stretching it as it's not like he had loads to do. He did what he had to do very well though, especially the way he stood up on the first chance. That was outstanding.

If Evans takes that present he gave him then Alisson is the villain. The only reason he wasn't the villain is because Evans fluffed the chance. Fine margins. I can't give him man of the match when he made a howler like that.

I think Alisson is world class at every aspect of goalkeeping.

Except his kicking, which is fairly over-rated I'd say.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Great is stretching it as it's not like he had loads to do. He did what he had to do very well though, especially the way he stood up on the first chance. That was outstanding.

If Evans takes that present he gave him then Alisson is the villain. The only reason he wasn't the villain is because Evans fluffed the chance. Fine margins. I can't give him man of the match when he made a howler like that.

Agree with that.

I'll give his kicking 7 out of 10 in technique, and 8/10 because of his composure, which helps us retain possession 9 times out of 10.

He's also handicapped by no having the usual centre backs in front of him, or Hendo, because they are all excellent at receiving the ball from him.

You've often spoken about what we don't see him do.

The one where Thiago and Trent messed it up, he just plucked the shot out the air because of his superb handling and positioning.

He's just so assured.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dave u said:

Agree about his kicking and you are right, his mistake could have cost the game but every player makes mistakes it’s just that when you’re a keeper it’s highlighted more. His one on one stuff is outstanding though and he was bang on it in this game. Deffo man of the match for me

• Upvote 1

One on one he's just the best. The one from Adams just before the goal doesn't even look that special but as I said in the report, most keepers would have gone to ground there to try and dive on the cross. He just stood big and Adams had nowhere to go.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic

Fabinho was great though. He just strolls around bossing everything and never wastes a pass. Fucking great player him and we’ve wasted him for most of the season by sticking him at the back. I understand why Klopp did it but if we could redo this season then the better option would be to keep him where he is and roll with the likes of Phillips and Williams at the back.

I think that the plusses for Fabinho in midfield (better going forward, breaking up oppo's midfield & more chances created) easily outweigh the minusses of having Nat & Rhys at centrebacks (speed of thought, positioning). In the air the defence is probably better. And they have Fabinho in front of them to protect them.