You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton (H) Premier League - 3/2/21 - 20:15

Bjornebye

We're broken. 

But it's hard for us not to be. The commentator made a point about Brighton. And the opposite applies to us. They said this might not have been as much of a shock as some think because Brighton have been improving of late and building up to something like this. We haven't had that luxury. Not a real chance all season to build up a bit of momentum. It's been stop-start from the early stages. The back four absolutely decimated by injury. Not just the first choices. But the back-up players too. Then the knock on consequences for the midfield. Jota missing for a lengthy spell too. The rest of the front 3 have been terribly inconsistent and don't have as many excuses. But, they're human and appear to have also been struck by the malaise and general lack of confidence that has spread throughout the team. 

The title challenge is pretty much dead in the water. These players have had a superhuman two seasons on the bounce. To do it for a third season, with so much quality missing and so few opportunities to get a bit of momentum going was just a step too far for them. 

• Upvote 7

8 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Simply have to finish in the top 4, if we dont then there wont be any signings.

Cant believe the club waited 4 weeks to bring in new players and only did because they had to. 

Terrible decision and one that it us clear only made once they knew Matip was fucked.

Probably be March now as result before we can field a defence made up of defenders and get a functional midfield back - by which time the damage could be irreparable.

We should have been all over it ready for Jan 1st, we knew from Oct we were fucked, and we knew Matip wouldn't hold up.

If we miss out on top 4 then there is some hard times ahead again.

3 minutes ago, No2 said:

They were better than us and deserved to win. This wasn't WBA or Burnley,  they had a plan and out played us. We weren't going to score if we stayed out there for a month. 

Ye. That’s what has me deflated more than anything. 
Also after 2 good away wins I thought we were going to put in a fight for the title and make City work for it instead of just handing it back over all nicely polished and apologising for taking it from them. 

3 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Not sure who was worse, Div for not touching the ball or Ox for giving the ball away every time he touched it.

I'm beginning to hate them two. Gini was shite, Bobby was shite, Milner was shite too but they were shite through the sheer volume of games. They have had to play so many games because these 2 are fucking half arsed pussies. 

Fucking hell that was desperate. I haven't been able to watch any of our games unless BT Sport or the BBC are showing them (I don't have Sky or Amazon Prime and I don't use streams), but all those home games since Christmas sound exactly like what I just watched, and it's as piss-poor as when we played Atalanta in the Champions League.

Slow. Ponderous. Lacking movement and ideas. Lacking belief and drive. Mitigating circumstances like all our senior centre backs being out for the season aside, it's a world away from the mentality monsters stuff of a year ago. I don't think it's anything to do with the lack of home crowds either.

It's like TheDrowningMan or Creator Supreme are doing the team talks!

The worry is that in so many games now, we are taking forever to create opportunities, get shots on target and test the keeper. It's not like all these sides are camped on the edge of their own box either. In the first half in particular, nobody seemed willing to inject any urgency into the game, and that lets opponents settle.

I don't know what the solution is, but we need SOMETHING on Sunday.

EDIT: I'm going back to last season's match thread input.

6 minutes ago, No2 said:

They were better than us and deserved to win. This wasn't WBA or Burnley,  they had a plan and out played us. We weren't going to score if we stayed out there for a month. 

We could have played until the players started dying from high age, and we wouldn’t have scored from a corner or high cross. Many factors, and I’m convinced the mentality is the main one, but our 100% lack of threat from set pieces is also part of the picture. When things arent going for you set pieces should be another way to get a breakthrough, for us corners is a complete waste of time these days.

19 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I don’t agree with you but that’s an argument I could understand someone making.  What that isn’t though is slowing the game down.

It can be if your forwards or fullbacks make a move but you're going backwards far too often thus slowing the team's forward momentum down, everyone moving back to a deeper position and starting again. As an individual he moves the ball quickly but often in a negative way.

Besides that, my point was about his style possibly having an influence on the team as a whole and everyone looking far too casual. Thiago has a way about him that seems to want to calm everything down and just slow down and start again if necessary.  We have done that at times before Thiago and for spells during many matches last season, but not from minute one as we are doing now.

Just now, MegadriveMan said:

We do better against better teams.  Can you imagine any of the teams left in the competition setting up like Burnely or Brighton against us? 

Atlético built the template last spring, but you’re right about most other sides left in it. 

That said, if they’ve any sense they’ll sit back a bit.