Quantcast
Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley  

70 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley


  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/10/20 at 11:46

Recommended Posts

We are voting purely on the music here and for me its Michal Jackson. Elvis of course is an all-time great but I much prefer Michal Jacksons music. Classic after classic until fucking earth song and I don't even mind that. 

 

 

Stick that up yer blue suede ring-piece 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, it’s about the music and then some. Elvis is the ur-performer. If it weren’t for Elvis, we’d be comparing Russ Conway with Russ Abbott in this thread. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could never imagine anybody over 16 listening to Michael Jackson. That's why a little bit of me still believes it was possible he was only friends with all that kids accusing him. That he was really just some weird big child. Everything around him was childish, his music, his image, his taste, his ideas.  How a child would see pop music, a life of a pop star.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favourite growing up vs my dad's favourite here.

 

I used to sit in primary school, humming beat it to myself, imagining moving to America to live the dream.

 

Knowing the crowd, i imagine this will be a landslide for Elvis, with Jackson turned into the out of tune busker in town. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I could never imagine anybody over 16 listening to Michael Jackson. That's why a little bit of me still believes it was possible he was only friends with all that kids accusing him. That he was really just some weird big child. Everything around him was childish, his music, his image, his taste, his ideas.  How a child would see pop music, a life of a pop star.

His father really did not do him any favors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, John102 said:

My favourite growing up vs my dad's favourite here.

 

I used to sit in primary school, humming beat it to myself, imagining moving to America to live the dream.

 

Knowing the crowd, i imagine this will be a landslide for Elvis, with Jackson turned into the out of tune busker in town. 

 

 

 

Your dad knows. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I could never imagine anybody over 16 listening to Michael Jackson. That's why a little bit of me still believes it was possible he was only friends with all that kids accusing him. That he was really just some weird big child. Everything around him was childish, his music, his image, his taste, his ideas.  How a child would see pop music, a life of a pop star.

Off the Wall is an excellent album that definitely isn’t for teenyboppers. Thriller is a very good pop album.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thriller is the biggest selling album of all time by about 15 million copies. Elvis died of a Burger King overdose while having a shit. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I could never imagine anybody over 16 listening to Michael Jackson. That's why a little bit of me still believes it was possible he was only friends with all that kids accusing him. That he was really just some weird big child. Everything around him was childish, his music, his image, his taste, his ideas.  How a child would see pop music, a life of a pop star.

I disagree that his music was childish, from the early Jackson 5 singles right through to Thriller, he was making great music. A lot of amazing people were involved too from Berry Gordy to Quincy Jones.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elvis was the King. Michael Jackson wasn't even a Prince (that was the far more talented individual).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, paddyberger said:

 

I still use Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough to check any new audio equipment I get. The production value on that song is incredible. 

You could use any tune Bruce Swedien mixed for that - nothing to do with Michael Jackson.

 

 

the early Jackson 5 singles

 

This is his best work - and I think it was probably done for kids as they were kids at the time and these songs featured on cartoon shows.

Part of the "missing element" of Michael as it were is the complete lack of authenticity when he tries to move into the traditional root of rock n roll - sexual innuendo. Elvis had it in spades (no pun intended) - Michael, erm not so much. His singing to a rat was more believable than to a woman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

i has to be said, some corkers of draws. 

Got to be some duds coming up because a few of these recently are final eight/four calibre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You could use any tune Bruce Swedien mixed for that - nothing to do with Michael Jackson.

 

 

the early Jackson 5 singles

 

This is his best work - and I think it was probably done for kids as they were kids at the time and these songs featured on cartoon shows.

Part of the "missing element" of Michael as it were is the complete lack of authenticity when he tries to move into the traditional root of rock n roll - sexual innuendo. Elvis had it in spades (no pun intended) - Michael, erm not so much. His singing to a rat was more believable than to a woman.

It’s about the range of different instruments in the mix, some more pronounced and others set back that make it good test track for me. I remember when I got my BGVP earphones and hearing things I’d not heard before and I’ve had some good ones. 
 

Hunter by Bjork is another is use .

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Got to be some duds coming up because a few of these recently are final eight/four calibre

yeah, got to be. it's almost like stig has an interest in getting someone through to the semi or final ... he's eliminating all the competition early on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

yeah, got to be. it's almost like stig has an interest in getting someone through to the semi or final ... he's eliminating all the competition early on. 

Haha when I first saw the draw I was so tempted to re-do it but where's the fun in that. 

 

This should be a lot closer and you all should be ashamed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×