You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

25 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Suggestion koeman has 'told' Gini not to sign anew contract.

We shouldn't sell Gini, not unless we get an absurd offer. I'd happily keep Gini on for another year and let him go on a free rather than lose him now on the cheap. 

• Upvote 1

We're all gonna be really disappointed when it turns out all these rumours are just agents flirting with each other to get better contacts for their players. 

Thiago pretends to want to come here so Bayern give him a better deal, Gini pretends to want to go to Barca so we give him a better deal, and Coutinho is stuck in the middle just wishing somebody would love him again. 

12 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Liverpool are unlikely to target a left-back in the upcoming transfer window. Klopp is happy with James Milner, Joe Gomez, and Yasser Larouci as deputies to Andy Robertson, and it is not viewed as a priority. [@ptgorst]

This was from the 4th of June. 

He knows sweet FA. An absolute chancer of a journalist. He wasn't even aware of what the Echo was printing when I challenged him on an issue that was in his actual paper. I swear the Echo just took a load on through a graduate scheme.

8 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

He knows sweet FA. An absolute chancer of a journalist. He wasn't even aware of what the Echo was printing when I challenged him on an issue that was in his actual paper. I swear the Echo just took a load on through a graduate scheme.

It's almost like an out of office auto reply.

Liverpool linked with a player or linked with a position that needs addressing then the usual suspects pour cold water on it automatically. 

The only reason I ever clicked on their website was for footy news, it's not even worth it for that anymore.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Liverpool are unlikely to target a left-back in the upcoming transfer window. Klopp is happy with James Milner, Joe Gomez, and Yasser Larouci as deputies to Andy Robertson, and it is not viewed as a priority. [@ptgorst]

This was from the 4th of June. 

To be fair, as of 4th June, that might have been the case. 

Larouci didn’t announced he wanted to leave until 16th July and the bid for Lewis wasn’t until 6th August.

16 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

To be fair, as of 4th June, that might have been the case. 

Larouci didn’t announced he wanted to leave until 16th July and the bid for Lewis wasn’t until 6th August.

That's pretty much the get out for every journo who gets it wrong "things changed". Or they didn't know. Or were feeding a party line. It's like this thiago thing. They keep printing "Liverpool have no interest at this time". So when it does happen, they can just say the world changed. I think it's much easier to accept the echo is done and has been for years. You've probably got to go back as far as bascombe or maybe Barret for when that paper was any good for football. 

36 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

That's pretty much the get out for every journo who gets it wrong "things changed". Or they didn't know. Or were feeding a party line. It's like this thiago thing. They keep printing "Liverpool have no interest at this time". So when it does happen, they can just say the world changed. I think it's much easier to accept the echo is done and has been for years. You've probably got to go back as far as bascombe or maybe Barret for when that paper was any good for football. 

The Echo are definitely an extension of the Clubs press. They don't know a thing except for what they are told to print. I think the Nike stuff confirmed this for me. Same with The Anfield Wrap.

10 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

The Echo are definitely an extension of the Clubs press. They don't know a thing except for what they are told to print. I think the Nike stuff confirmed this for me. Same with The Anfield Wrap.

I can't be arsed with The Anfield Wrap at all. Find it pretty dull to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Elite said:

I can't be arsed with The Anfield Wrap at all. Find it pretty dull to be honest.

I think the quality of the contributors used to be a lot better. I certainly enjoyed listening to them more.

Had a listen this morning and it was some girl from USA and a load of wools discussing various bit. I know that someones accent shouldn't annoy me, but when im listening to a Liverpool FC podcast, it does. Sue me.

48 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I don’t see the issue. Maybe the plan was for Larouci to challenge at left back? We’ll never know but its not inconceivable. 

Things do change. Barca only went for Countinho once Neymar went to PSG, he was staying for the whole 17/18 season up until then. There are probably more examples if I put my mind to it. 

9 minutes ago, John102 said:

I think the quality of the contributors used to be a lot better. I certainly enjoyed listening to them more.

Had a listen this morning and it was some girl from USA and a load of wools discussing various bit. I know that someones accent shouldn't annoy me, but when im listening to a Liverpool FC podcast, it does. Sue me.

Same.  I'm not having girls talking football.  I hear them all speak on the Wrap podcasts (the free ones) and I try to ignore every second of it. 

Nothing personal like, am sure there's lots else they can speak to that I wouldn't mind, but not footy.

I'm not sure what the deal is, I think one of them is married to Neil Atkinson, are the others also involved with each other?  It just seems a bit RAWK to me. 

26 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

If I want to hear what a load of egotistical opinionated blerts reckon about Liverpool Football Club I just come on here. 

That's my take on podcasts as well. If anybody was an elite level coach and could provide genuine insight into tactics or genuine transfer information on who we like or watching or something else genuinely new that hasn't been reported elsewhere, I'd listen to them.

But they don't. 

Oh yeah, we were talking about transfers....

I hear these Wijnaldum rumours and I think there's something there, I think he's interested in a new challenge, after all, he's won everything here worth winning, and he's never been shy in finding new challenges in the past, and he's turning 30 in a few months.

Milner - 34 - contract expires 2022

Wijnaldum - 29 - contract expires 2021

Henderson - 30 - contract expires 2023

Fabinho - 26 - contract expires 2023

Keita - 25 - contract expires 2023

Chamberlain - 27 - contract expires 2023

To bring Thiago into this equation, who would likely be on a contract to 2024, is problematic without moving someone on. 

Ideally (moneyball speaking), you'd want to move Chamberlain or Keita on but with 3 years left on their contract, at big wages, it would take a big club to match that, and they have concerning injury records so that's unlikely to happen considering the big outlay it would take to acquire them, and their wages.  Neither of them have set down a marker with the club that would be too difficult to replace.  Best will in the world, love them both, but they are replaceable.   

As we have to hang onto these two, and with them likely to miss more games, it puts more pressure on the other 4 to remain fit and play, and with 3 of those 4 in their 30's by the end of the year, the risk for injury is a factor.  As it goes, Gini has had a remarkable run of seasons with very few injury problems apart from one year (13/14).  He's played 515 senior games, that's some mileage.   Henderson 456 appearances, Milner with 739, bionic.  

Now, Thiago is 29, he's not exactly a young player anymore.  He has also had major injury issues in the past, though it seems to have settled down, but he will want massive wages, and a 4 year deal to see him to 33.

It's sod's law that if we bought Thiago, that we'd have no injuries to any of these players, and we basically have 7 players on big wages fighting for 3 shirts.  Very few options, apart from Milner, to cover other positions in the 4-3-3.  Even that ability to cover FB positions for Milner will likely be hugely curtailed as the next season progresses, as is usually the case in high level sport. 

The problem, in effect, is not Wijnaldum v Thiago.  They are both 29, both very similar skill-sets.  The problem is whether or not Keita can stay injury-free and cover these positions to the high standard required.  I don't believe Ox can do that, I think he dips below the level required in the midfield 3 and that his massive injury against Roma has taken something away from his game. 

15 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

That's my take on podcasts as well. If anybody was an elite level coach and could provide genuine insight into tactics or genuine transfer information on who we like or watching or something else genuinely new that hasn't been reported elsewhere, I'd listen to them.

But they don't. 

I was listening to one the other day that i really liked, called "I Had Trials Once..."

They tend to interview the nearly-men, and the hosts are former pro's, or semi-pro's, so there's a lot of shared networking of key people in the game, it's really interesting.

Even more interesting as quite a few of their guests have been former reds, like Pennant, Spearing, Morgan, Welsh.  The Pennant one is mad.  The Morgan one is also really interesting.  Properly good interviews, no glib responses, nothing to lose, just honest.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I don’t see the issue. Maybe the plan was for Larouci to challenge at left back? We’ll never know but its not inconceivable. 

Things do change. Barca only went for Countinho once Neymar went to PSG, he was staying for the whole 17/18 season up until then. There are probably more examples if I put my mind to it. 

I'm sure in some situations that's the case. Bit we were linked with Lewis for some time and bid on him, which suggests we were always looking at left back. I just think the echo are full of shit, so I can't take them too seriously. In fact I'm more inclined to listen to the non-lfc journos, as they're not sending messages at the behest of the club.