You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Just now, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Remarkable that people still aren’t hearing the mood music. Our entire way of life is going to be unrecognisable within weeks, indefinitely. Requires a total mindset change that should already have happened or be in the late stages of being fixed. My old dear is still talking about just going out shopping at less busy times so there aren’t quite as many people about and dropping stuff into me when the restrictions arrive. She’s 72. Just had to explain to her that as kind an offer as that is, she won’t be able to leave her front door once it’s announced, possibly legally.

My cousin was still insisting yesterday that it wasn’t even as bad as the flu, more like a cold. I can only assume there is information like this floating around Facebook which is where large numbers of the population get their news. 

My mates sister shared a picture yesterday on there stating that if you gargle with vinegar within four days of catching the virus it won’t spread to your lungs. 

Woke up this morning and my wife has taken my daughter out swimming despite me telling her not to go out and being a general doom merchant for weeks. 

I keep thinking as it gets more serious people will change the way they interact but I’m rapidly losing faith that will happen. 

7 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Remarkable that people still aren’t hearing the mood music. Our entire way of life is going to be unrecognisable within weeks, indefinitely. Requires a total mindset change that should already have happened or be in the late stages of being fixed. My old dear is still talking about just going out shopping at less busy times so there aren’t quite as many people about and dropping stuff into me when the restrictions arrive. She’s 72. Just had to explain to her that as kind an offer as that is, she won’t be able to leave her front door once it’s announced, possibly legally.

My dad is 80 this year and was arguing last night that he’s not staying in and is still going to the pub and betting shop.

Pointed out to him that both will be closed , there’ll be no racing, and he’ll probably be arrested and held in isolation if he does. I don’t think he appreciated me bursting into laughter after I’d mentioned the last bit.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

My cousin was still insisting yesterday that it wasn’t even as bad as the flu, more like a cold. I can only assume there is information like this floating around Facebook which is where large numbers of the population get their news. 

My mates sister shared a picture yesterday on there stating that if you gargle with vinegar within four days of catching the virus it won’t spread to your lungs. 

Woke up this morning and my wife has taken my daughter out swimming despite me telling her not to go out and being a general doom merchant for weeks. 

I keep thinking as it gets more serious people will change the way they interact but I’m rapidly losing faith that will happen. 

Ex-girlfriend shared that vinegar gargling stuff with me the other day. Thanked her but didn’t even read it.

Mum is now talking about being personally scapegoated and blamed for the virus and how it would be less offensive if the whole population was being made to self-isolate. Some careful, patient explaining without snapping at her has been underway for over a week now, so just going to have to take a deep breath and go back in for more regards the motive for keeping certain groups indoors.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Anubis said:

My dad is 80 this year and was arguing last night that he’s not staying in and is still going to the pub and betting shop.

Pointed out to him that both will be closed , there’ll be no racing, and he’ll probably be arrested and held in isolation if he does. I don’t think he appreciated me bursting into laughter after I’d mentioned the last bit.

Hahaha. Cheers, you cunt, that made me laugh out loud.

12 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

I've already told my mum to knock that kind of thing on the head - over 70, smokes, history of chest problems. I've put her on 3-6 months gardening leave.

Let us know if you need anything mate, I'm sure I could post a pineapple pizza under your door or something.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I've already told my mum to knock that kind of thing on the head - over 70, smokes, history of chest problems. I've put her on 3-6 months gardening leave.

Let us know if you need anything mate, I'm sure I could post a pineapple pizza under your door or something.

You’ll be alright with your staple diet, even if it becomes a full zombie holocaust. Stockpile a few crates of dog food and several hundred packets of biscuits. Job’s a good ‘un.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Look at the replies to this. Unbelievable. This is why the country will be fucked, though their attitudes may change as they start dropping in great numbers. 

https://www.facebook.com/2026069010765268/posts/2892952780743549/?d=n

Pure delusion, those comments. Am I missing something with the shouts that isolation will in itself kill the elderly? If so many of them are as fit and active as they say they are, how is 4 months in their house going to kill them? Just listen to the rules, ffs. 

4 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

You’ll be alright with your staple diet, even if it becomes a full zombie holocaust. Stockpile a few crates of dog food and several hundred packets of biscuits. Job’s a good ‘un.

Ha, funnily enough I've been trying to cut out sugar. Can't help but feel it was some kind of monkey's paw wish that's brought on the apocalypse.

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Pure delusion, those comments. Am I missing something with the shouts that isolation will in itself kill the elderly? If so many of them are as fit and active as they say they are, how is 4 months in their house going to kill them? Just listen to the rules, ffs. 

To be fair, loneliness among the elderly is now starting to be recognised as a major social issue, mental health-wise and even in terms of knock-on physical health decline. Not as instantly fatal as getting Covid-19 and having your ventilator taken off you for someone younger and more healthy though, so needs must. 

I can see why a lot of older people will be absolutely terrified by the thought of isolation and the potential for neglect or being found dead alone though. That’s just a basic human fear.  

• Upvote 1

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-everton-star-wayne-rooneys-17927229

Former Everton star Wayne Rooney's scathing comments on coronavirus and the Premier League

He wrote (in crayon): "If people’s lives are at risk, that has to come first — regardless of whether you’re going to win the league title, whether you’re trying to get into Europe or whether you’re going to get relegated or promoted.

"But why did we wait until Friday? Why did it take Mikel Arteta to get ill for the game in England to do the right thing? For players, staff and their families it has been a worrying week — one in which you felt a lack of leadership from the government and from the FA and Premier League.

To be fair he's probably well pissed off they're going to lock up the over 70s for three months. 

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Philtrum said:

Screenshot-2020-03-15-at-11-35-00.pnghttps://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

A great way of explaining the concepts of social distancing versus the isolation of a whole population, and how this affects the viral spread.

Screenshot-2020-03-15-at-11-36-12.png

“Some of the dots should disappear”.

That’s a profound, cheering thought for a Sunday morning.

54 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I think though for fit healthy people it is just like a cold, that's my understanding anyway. The issue seems to be when it is combined with another issue. But such large parts of the population have other issues, obviously this is the major issue. I was listening to some call-in on 5live in the car yesterday. Some chap calls in saying he has a job that interfaces with the public, but has 3 underlying issues (can't remember what they are, but one was a respiratory illness, diabetes and something else) and was asking should he self isolate. The doctor was almost laughing, saying of course he should as he ticks 3 boxes! And then the presenter of the show is saying "well that's not the government advice". The doctor is then having to explain to the presenter too that people have to have to use some common sense with their conditions. And this is the problem here. What is likely to be no more than a cold to many, will be deadly to some. We're going to need to adjust to this quickly as a society, because it's as clear as can be this is not something that is going to pass in weeks, the vast majority of us will catch it, this is going to be around for most of this year and the management of how this disease is spread will be crucial in how many people survive. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I think though for fit healthy people it is just like a cold, that's my understanding anyway. The issue seems to be when it is combined with another issue. But such large parts of the population have other issues, obviously this is the major issue. I was listening to some call-in on 5live in the car yesterday. Some chap calls in saying he has a job that interfaces with the public, but has 3 underlying issues (can't remember what they are, but one was a respiratory illness, diabetes and something else) and was asking should he self isolate. The doctor was almost laughing, saying of course he should as he ticks 3 boxes! And then the presenter of the show is saying "well that's not the government advice". The doctor is then having to explain to the presenter too that people have to have to use some common sense with their conditions. And this is the problem here. What is likely to be no more than a cold to many, will be deadly to some. We're going to need to adjust to this quickly as a society, because it's as clear as can be this is not something that is going to pass in weeks, the vast majority of us will catch it, this is going to be around for most of this year and the management of how this disease is spread will be crucial in how many people survive. 

Covid-19 can put anybody in the hospital because it can cause Pneumonia. Just like the odd chance that the flu can do that to a healthy teenager, except this is far worse than the flu and it's spreading like wildfire. China said 80% of cases were mild. I think what people didn't get from that is that this 80% combined everything from "just a cold" to "awful symptoms but that don't end up putting you in the hospital". That's not a picnic. And there's anecdotes popping up everywhere from journos and ER Doctors detailing people in their 20's in the ICU's. 

It's not smart to tell fit, healthy people it's just like a cold. It definitely may not be. People right now need to be scared out of doing stupid stuff. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Italy have suspended mortgages the other day and lots of countries talking about doing the same and looking into rent issues as well. I know Corbyn suggested this to the UK Gov't as well. 

Looks like someone has been Corona Virused...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/chinese-executive-who-called-xi-a-clown-over-coronavirus-response-is-missing

An influential former Chinese property executive who called president Xi Jinping a “clown” over a speech he made last month about the government’s efforts to battle the coronavirus has gone missing, according to his friends.

Ren Zhiqiang, a member of China’s ruling Communist party and a former top executive of state-controlled property developer Huayuan Real Estate Group, has not been contactable since 12 March, three of his friends told Reuters.

36 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

To be fair, loneliness among the elderly is now starting to be recognised as a major social issue, mental health-wise and even in terms of knock-on physical health decline. Not as instantly fatal as getting Covid-19 and having your ventilator taken off you for someone younger and more healthy though, so needs must. 

I can see why a lot of older people will be absolutely terrified by the thought of isolation and the potential for neglect or being found dead alone though. That’s just a basic human fear.  

Fair point. Hopefully, these people can still perform their hobbies to pass the time and use technology to keep up with their relatives, etc...

• Upvote 1

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Fair point. Hopefully, these people can still perform their hobbies to pass the time and maybe use technology to keep up with their relatives, etc...

Exactly what I’ve spent the morning trying to sensitively say to my Mum.

5 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Exactly what I’ve spent the morning trying to sensitively say to my Mum.

My old man has COPD and has spent about 3 months in hospital recently.  Him and my mum seem to think that because they live 5 mins from a supermarket it won’t matter as they’ll only be out of the house half an hour. It’s madness. 

• Upvote 1