You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

This is calculated then. We're all going to lose parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters or friends, because they saw an opportunity to trim the fat!

The boomer issue has been looming for decades and all governments have kicked it into the long grass. Pensions, care etc all going to cost considerably more than they would raise in taxes they'd get from people working. 

Would a government really welcome a virus that offers them a blameless way to solve this? I think we are about to find out.

LONDON (Reuters) - British rock band The Who have cancelled their UK tour due to coronavirus, just four days before they were due to take to the stage in Manchester. 

The group, famous for tracks like “My Generation” and “Substitute”, said the three-week tour would go ahead later in the year. 

“Haven’t reached this decision easily, but given the concerns about public gatherings, we couldn’t go ahead,” guitarist and singer Pete Townshend said in a statement on Thursday.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Philtrum said:

LONDON (Reuters) - British rock band The Who have cancelled their UK tour due to coronavirus, just four days before they were due to take to the stage in Manchester. 

The group, famous for tracks like “My Generation” and “Substitute”, said the three-week tour would go ahead later in the year. 

“Haven’t reached this decision easily, but given the concerns about public gatherings, we couldn’t go ahead,” guitarist and singer Pete Townshend said in a statement on Thursday.

Fair play to Pete there, you just know he’ll have done a lot of research into it on the Internet before telling anyone.

• Upvote 4

132 more cases, and the huge uplift in testing won't come in to play until tomorrow. This is quite quickly going to be 10,000 cases. 

There are two people in intensive care in the local hospital to me now. Shit is hitting the fan!

Remember though, don't be hysterical fannies!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, Philtrum said:

The poor, old, weak and vulnerable. Bloody hell it's a tory wet dream.

Said it earlier, not only the Tories but Governments around the World will be literally spunking at the thought of getting rid of the old and sick. They are only interested in fit young people who can work and pay taxes so they can line their pockets and spend the rest on shit your normal person doesn't need. Just keep them happy enough so they carry on being part of the rat race.

Windy as fuck over here but sunny and quite warm. Just been out for my 2 and a half hour daily walk with the dog. Playlist on mobile, headphones in, Jessie and myself didn't have a care in the World. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Lots of people who work in this area saying we'll be fucking about with this for at least another 9 months. Imagine falling pregnant now (obviously the women) it will be a nightmare. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

Lots of people who work in this area saying we'll be fucking about with this for at least another 9 months. Imagine falling pregnant now (obviously the women) it will be a nightmare. 

I think there is virtually no risk to pregnant women, same as children.

Death rate in UK currently at 1.6% and that doesn't include the people who have it and might die as it's not at the stage that many have recovered yet.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The "death rate" will obviously come down considerably once you factor in all the people who have had it without even realising.

Not really. Because of the 590 infected, not all will recover. The death rate in Italy is much higher than 1.6%.

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I think there is virtually no risk to pregnant women, same as children.

Death rate in UK currently at 1.6% and that doesn't include the people who have it and might die as it's not at the stage that many have recovered yet.

It would still be pretty frightening for them, especially until there is concrete evidence that it won't have any adverse affects to unborn children or pregnant women. 

13 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Transphobic!

22 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The "death rate" will obviously come down considerably once you factor in all the people who have had it without even realising.

People realise they have something eventually. Doesn't mean it becomes severe, but there are almost no cases that stay asymptomatic. That seems to be a common misunderstanding.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's total outrage soon including MP's defecting from the gov over the handling of this.

At the same time though I'd not be surprised if there's total outrage soon but all gov MP's stick together and don't care. They are Tories after all. We often read about how the "shit is going to hit the fan" but things mainly carry on as normal, looks like a 100% certainty this time though. Especially if the increase in testing takes place as planned shortly.

Maybe they're thinking "well they can't riot in the streets together or do mass protests, what do we have to lose?"