You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

The science part is fun but what is more interesting is how easily people have been duped.

In Florida we have a fella that has made his political name as an anti mandate - anti vaxx hero.

This is a state where to get into kindergarten you need 14 vaccinations and proof thereof.

That is to get into school - which in Florida you are mandated to attend between the ages of 6-16.

You also need to show that card to attend college/university.

Before Covid US military had 13 mandated vaccinations.

All this talk about Fascism but the only thing that really changed over the last few years was the self proclaimed leader of the Western World (who actually tried some genuine Fascisty stuff) suggesting the whole thing was a hoax and would disappear - then spend the next year hyping cranks and denigrating scientists and showing his maskless orange face as often as possible. Then leaders of other countries with similar "politics" fell in line.

Throughout history people have been and will continue to be judged by the company they keep.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pureblood said:

The words are interchangeable - these vaccines don't do either.

1. Words with clearly different meanings are not interchangeable.

2. Your repeated posting of a statement that is proven to be untrue makes you look even sillier than you otherwise would.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Why are you flattered? Are you a bit stupid? Don’t answer that! 

Richard, I feel like we are on first name terms now, so can I call you Dick? 

Dick, you aren't the quickest on the uptake but that's ok, someone with your incredible range of responses doesn't have to be. Your amazing facts speak for themselves.

The point was, that you said you had no desire to play with me. I responded that I'm flattered but you're not my type.

Just now, Iceman said:

Richard, I feel like we are on first name terms now, so can I call you Dick? 

Dick, you aren't the quickest on the uptake but that's ok, someone with your incredible range of responses doesn't have to be. Your amazing facts speak for themselves.

The point was, that you said you had no desire to play with me. I responded that I'm flattered but you're not my type.

Have you been drinking? I said I had no desire to play with you, how is that flattering? Unless you don’t understand words. Which is feasible to be honest. 

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

2. Your repeated posting of a statement that is proven to be untrue makes you look even sillier than you otherwise would.

Don't the CDC support this view? 

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

1.  For the purposes of this conversation, the words are interchangeable as these vaccines do neither;

2.  It's not proven to be untrue - a study was released recently by two well qualified authors (one from Harvard) showing no discernible relationship between vaccination and case rates, copied below for your convenience.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8481107/

At the country-level, there appears to be no discernable relationship between percentage of population fully vaccinated and new COVID-19 cases in the last 7 days (Fig. 1). In fact, the trend line suggests a marginally positive association such that countries with higher percentage of population fully vaccinated have higher COVID-19 cases per 1 million people.

10654_2021_808_Fig1_HTML.jpg

18 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The science part is fun but what is more interesting is how easily people have been duped.

In Florida we have a fella that has made his political name as an anti mandate - anti vaxx hero.

This is a state where to get into kindergarten you need 14 vaccinations and proof thereof.

That is to get into school - which in Florida you are mandated to attend between the ages of 6-16.

You also need to show that card to attend college/university.

Before Covid US military had 13 mandated vaccinations.

All this talk about Fascism but the only thing that really changed over the last few years was the self proclaimed leader of the Western World (who actually tried some genuine Fascisty stuff) suggesting the whole thing was a hoax and would disappear - then spend the next year hyping cranks and denigrating scientists and showing his maskless orange face as often as possible. Then leaders of other countries with similar "politics" fell in line.

Throughout history people have been and will continue to be judged by the company they keep.

I think it runs deeper than  that. The Internet has allowed nutters to form a collective consciousness like a shit Borg.

Pre Internet and pre social media whack jobs were confined to lonely corners of the pub and if they stepped too much out of line, they'd get a beer poured on their head. 

Now they can reach out and find dozens, hundreds, thousands of people like them and find strength in numbers, next thing you know they're staging rallies and dimwit politicians start kowtowing to them. 

I've said this before, and I say it as someone who was bullied in school and didn't enjoy it, but there must surely be an evolutionary reason for the way 'the group' is compelled to shun oddballs, and that's because it's fucking contagious. The more of them there are to peddle their bollocks the more the 'normal' collective can't function and pretty much soon you're all dead. It'd be the same on a desert island or a village. 

All these people need rounding up and their collective heads dunking down a bog, told in no uncertain terms their love of Eddie Stobart lorries will not be tolerated and warned to stay away from the pub.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I think it runs deeper than  that. The Internet has allowed nutters to form a collective consciousness like a shit Borg.

Pre Internet and pre social media whack jobs were confined to lonely corners of the pub and if they stepped too much out of line, they'd get a beer poured on their head. 

Now they can reach out and find dozens, hundreds, thousands of people like them and fine strength in numbers, next thing you know they're staging rallies and dimwit politicians start kowtowing to them. 

I've said this before, and I say it as someone who was bullied in school and didn't enjoy it, but there must surely be an evolutionary reason for the way 'the group' is compelled to shun oddballs, and that's because it's fucking contagious. 

All these people need rounding up and their collective heads dunking down a bog, told in no uncertain terms their love of Eddie Stobart lorries will not be tolerated and warned to stay away from the pub.  

Good post.  

Plus the people willing to profit (or grift) off them has immediate access.  Look at those people who promote quack cures for cancer. They are will to profit on people dying, so pushing IV or HQ and other number of shit to vulnerable people is easy. 

Apparently once someone has accepted one conspiracy theory it increases the chances of them believing others.  

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Good post.  

Plus the people willing to profit (or grift) off them has immediate access.  Look at those people who promote quack cures for cancer. They are will to profit on people dying, so pushing IV or HQ and other number of shit to vulnerable people is easy. 

Apparently once someone has accepted one conspiracy theory it increases the chances of them believing others.  

How much have Pfizer profited from the vaccine? about £20 billion? yin yang and all that...

11 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

1.  For the purposes of this conversation, the words are interchangeable as these vaccines do neither;

2.  It's not proven to be untrue - a study was released recently by two well qualified authors (one from Harvard) showing no discernible relationship between vaccination and case rates, copied below for your convenience.

At the country-level, there appears to be no discernable relationship between percentage of population fully vaccinated and new COVID-19 cases in the last 7 days (Fig. 1). In fact, the trend line suggests a marginally positive association such that countries with higher percentage of population fully vaccinated have higher COVID-19 cases per 1 million people.

We can let the Doctor have the last word:

A Harvard Study Is Going Viral Among Anti-Vaxxers. The Author Says They Are All Wrong.

Subramanian, the Harvard professor of population health and geography behind the paper, says the vaccine doubters are completely wrong.

“That conclusion is misleading and inaccurate,” Subramanian told me over email. “This paper supports vaccination as an important strategy for reducing infection and transmission, along with hand-washing, mask-wearing, and physical distancing.”

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

We can let the Doctor have the last word:

A Harvard Study Is Going Viral Among Anti-Vaxxers. The Author Says They Are All Wrong.

Subramanian, the Harvard professor of population health and geography behind the paper, says the vaccine doubters are completely wrong.

“That conclusion is misleading and inaccurate,” Subramanian told me over email. “This paper supports vaccination as an important strategy for reducing infection and transmission, along with hand-washing, mask-wearing, and physical distancing.”

He can say whatever he wants - the trend line he produced shows the line going in the wrong direction.  You can't argue with a graph.  

12 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

Loads of other studies show that vaccines do reduce transmission; you can't just pretend that the one that seems to support your point of view is the only one.

Just now, Pureblood said:

He can say whatever he wants - the trend line he produced shows the line going in the wrong direction.  You can't argue with a graph.  

Is that the same graph for a 7-day period in September you have already posted several times? I could never make head or tail of these dots. 

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Loads of other studies show that vaccines do reduce transmission; you can't just pretend that the one that seems to support your point of view is the only one.

Here's another one for you.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/28/covid-vaccinated-likely-unjabbed-infect-cohabiters-study-suggests

Jabs do not reduce risk of passing Covid within household, study suggests

People who are fully vaccinated against Covid yet catch the virus are just as infectious to others in their household as infected unvaccinated people, research suggests.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59524527

Italian man tries to dodge Covid jab using fake arm

An Italian man who wanted a Covid vaccination certificate without getting the jab turned up for his vaccine with a fake arm, officials say.

The man, in his 50s, arrived for his shot with a silicone mould covering his real arm, hoping it would go unnoticed.

But a nurse was not fooled and the man has now been reported to the police.

The nurse told local media that when she had rolled up his sleeve, she found the skin "rubbery and cold" and the pigment "too light".

After being discovered, the man tried to persuade the nurse to turn a blind eye, la Repubblica reported. But instead she reported him to the police for fraud.

Local police are now investigating the incident in Biella, north-west Italy, and local officials have criticised the man's actions.

"The case borders on the ridiculous, if it were not for the fact we are talking about a gesture of enormous gravity," the head of the Piedmont regional government, Albert Cirio, said in a statement on Facebook.

He said the ploy was "unacceptable faced with the sacrifice that our entire community has paid during the pandemic, in terms of human lives, the social and economic cost".

La Repubblica suggests the incident may not have been a one-off, pointing to a message on social media that may have been written by the man.

The Twitter post quoted by the paper featured a silicone male chest half-body suit, complete with fake arms and neck, that was on sale on Amazon for €488 (£416).

"If I go with this, will they notice? Maybe beneath the silicone I'll even put on some extra clothes to avoid the needle reaching my real arm," the Twitter user reportedly wrote.

The incident comes ahead of a tightening of the rules in Italy for those who have not been vaccinated.

Since August, Italians have needed a Covid "green pass" - showing proof of vaccination, a negative test or recovery from the virus - to access train stations, cinemas, restaurants, gyms and swimming pools.

But from Monday, these activities will be restricted to those with a "super green pass", which is only available to those who have been vaccinated or recently recovered from Covid.

The vaccine pass rules have prompted protests in several Italian cities in recent weeks.

Just over 73% of Italians are fully vaccinated against Covid - higher than in France or the UK, but lower than in Spain and Portugal.

• Upvote 1