You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harvey Elliott

suzy

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Absolutely ran himself into the ground, creating problems for City all over the pitch.

Lovely stuff.

I don't know about that. He didn't create problems all over the pitch in the first half, he was anonymous. He was not the only one, but he was all over the place (in a bad way) that first half. He was better 2nd half, but really it wasn't till he moved back into midfield properly (as it looked like he tried to do a cheat role of part forward part midfield) after Salah came on, he started contributing anything of note. The lad is working as hard as he can, but his quality and positional play, especially when the game is at its quickest, like it was until they scored, makes him look just as he is, a young pup without a grip on what's happening.

It's great credit to him that he found a way back into the game in the last half hour, but let's not get carried away because he runs round a bit. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, stringvest said:

He's just not effective.  He's very puppyish in running around, I get it, but we need someone with penetration and who can challenge for the ball in midfield, and has pace and genuine technique.  Presumably with Salah back Elliott will be used from the bench, which is really when he produces his best stuff.

He’s definitely a lot better off the bench at the moment.  He impacts games when he’s got space and time and the opposition are flagging.  He’s just played the full match against City though.  In a performance we haven’t put up against them since Klopp’s early years.  Even in the recent games when we have got results against them they’ve always been the better team and Guardiola has had our number.  He’s still a kid really despite the number of games he’s played in.

He wasn’t our best player today.  He probably wasn’t even in the top 5 or 6 but he didn’t look out of place at all.  There’s been question marks around whether he’s going to be good enough but I think today has cemented that he’s got the potential to be.  As much as I hate Bernardo Silva he’s a very good player and I see Elliott being almost identical in style and positions as him.  I think in a few years time people will be acting like it was always a given.

• Upvote 3

Thought he was one of our best players in a disappointing first half and was decent in the second half too. Unflashy stuff done really well - pressing, being available for passes, haring back when necessary. Great cross for Szloboszlai that he should have headed home from. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, redinblack said:

He has on here yes.

I wouldn't pay huge attention to those kind of judgements. Gomez got plenty earlier in the season too, and Van Dijk was finished at the top level. 

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

That’s what I thought, too. 

Surprised to hear people raving about his performance, but football is subjective.

I agree. He works hard but doesnt produce much. I thought he was really poor in the first half but picked up a lot in the second.

11 minutes ago, redinblack said:

He has on here yes.

He does get it in the neck during match threads, but so does every attacking player.

In the cold light of day, everyone raves about him, just look at the last 5 pages.

7 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

He does get it in the neck during match threads, but so does every attacking player.

In the cold light of day, everyone raves about him, just look at the last 5 pages.

Fair point. And if you look back on the site further there's phrases like "slow" "offers nothing" etc. For the record I think he's ace

All great teams have a player that gets dogs abuse but always gives 100% and is a better player than people think until they leave or retire. 

Ian Callaghan, Ray Kennedy,  Ronnie Whelan, Jimmy Case, Ray Houghton ,Lucas to name a few. Harvet Elliot fits into this category.  He is a very good player who always gives 100%. I think we are better with him than without him. 

There are really two Elliotts this year.

The one off the bench in the league. 5 gola contributions in @850 minutes. Helped change a few matches.

Then there is the starter with the B team in cups. Very different role, different returns, similar results.

Some underestimate the quality of player this takes. Gomez is similar. Kelleher, again - absolutely the top of any expectations for a backup.

For us to have those three, homegrown and on decent wages, playing those roles is top squad work.

Coming hot on their heels now are Bradley and Quansah.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Boomer said:

All great teams have a player that gets dogs abuse but always gives 100% and is a better player than people think until they leave or retire. 

Ian Callaghan, Ray Kennedy,  Ronnie Whelan, Jimmy Case, Ray Houghton ,Lucas to name a few. Harvet Elliot fits into this category.  He is a very good player who always gives 100%. I think we are better with him than without him. 

erm, Lucas?  All those other players were 1) really good, and 2) well loved by the fans, though the tutting increased towards the end of Callaghan and Whelan's careers at LFC.  I get Lucas and Elliot in the same bracket, but careful now.

Lucas was a very underrated player.  Early on he was poor but played out of position. Once he adjusted to a defensive player he was a very good player. 

All about opinions . My opinion was Lucas was a very good but underrated player. 

Short of a 100% fit Mo to play in that position today I don't know who else the smart arsed match thread wannabe managers would have started there. He didn't tear up too many trees in the first half but he didn't let anyone down and he was more effective in closing down and pressuring the longer the 2nd half went on. Huge season for him, this and hard to believe he's only 20. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I'd love to see Elliott get rested for a week.

Crazy the amount of work he's been getting through in the last month, understandable and enforced, but I'd hate to see him Bajceticed.

Bajcetic played 11 games. No one would be crazy enough to do the same to Eliott.

I actually thought he was more effective in the first half. We got a lot of joy down that side and his cross to Dom was superb and should have led to a goal. He had a chance to shoot at one point which he dawdled on and nothing came of it. Second half he seemed hi drift out of the game until the last 15 minutes or so when he looked fresher than everyone else again.

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't know about that. He didn't create problems all over the pitch in the first half, he was anonymous. He was not the only one, but he was all over the place (in a bad way) that first half. He was better 2nd half, but really it wasn't till he moved back into midfield properly (as it looked like he tried to do a cheat role of part forward part midfield) after Salah came on, he started contributing anything of note. The lad is working as hard as he can, but his quality and positional play, especially when the game is at its quickest, like it was until they scored, makes him look just as he is, a young pup without a grip on what's happening.

It's great credit to him that he found a way back into the game in the last half hour, but let's not get carried away because he runs round a bit. 

Disagree massively about his first half - he was the main contributor to getting things moving in that first half when things were tight - dropping in and receiving the ball and popping it about with one and two touch football.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Curly said:

Disagree massively about his first half - he was the main contributor to getting things moving in that first half when things were tight - dropping in and receiving the ball and popping it about with one and two touch football.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I thought he was the worst player on the pitch first half. 

I want to like him as a player, when I see him busily flitting around the pitch, but objectively I just don't see what he brings to the team in games like that - particularly when starting.  He tends to look like the young underdeveloped  player that he is, playing against fully grown experienced men.  He definitely impacts the game more when coming on against tiring players.

• Upvote 1

Just now, stringvest said:

I want to like him as a player, when I see him busily flitting around the pitch, but objectively I just don't see what he brings to the team in games like that - particularly when starting.  He tends to look like the young underdeveloped  player that he is, playing against fully grown experienced men.  He definitely impacts the game more when coming on against tiring players.

As I pointed out the other day, he actually impacts the game in the final phase even when he starts. He definitely has the energy to keep going and his levels can be as good at 95 minutes as they are at 5 minutes. The problem is at 5 minutes, the game flies by him. 

I'm like you, I want to like him and in fact I enjoy his performances most games in the last quarter. I don't know how we fix the rest of it though. 

35 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Compare him to Bernardo Silva yesterday, was he far better than Harvey? I don't think so.

And they are in their respective teams for a similar reason.

And where was Silva playing when he was 20?  

On 10/03/2024 at 20:40, stringvest said:

He's just not effective.  He's very puppyish in running around, I get it, but we need someone with penetration and who can challenge for the ball in midfield, and has pace and genuine technique.  Presumably with Salah back Elliott will be used from the bench, which is really when he produces his best stuff.

Laughable comment.

His effectiveness has increased this season with numerous assists in the last few weeks. He would also have a couple more goals if two hadn't been harshly taken off him. And with Jones out, Elliot has been our best trigger for pressing from midfield. He's been a crucial player all season.

And whatever "genuine technique" means in your opinion, Elliot's "fake" technique is a definite match. If the argument is the fact that he isn't as effective as Salah at right forward, then that's obvious. No one is.