Quantcast
The Virtues - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

Getting a great write-up everywhere and unsurprisingly looking like a deep dive into something troubling and hard to watch.

The sequence which turned into a session was horribly familiar. That tight-rope of briefly feeling you’re king of the world when that’s very far from the case and the wheels are ready to come off any second.

• Upvote 2

Aye it looks decent if pretty familiar territory for Graham & Meadows.

The scene in the pub reminded me of a few sociopaths I've known down the years, absolute nightmare cunts like that.

• Upvote 1

Looking forward to this although if the s*n loving blert starts massively over acting like in Line of Duty then I dont think I'll be able to cope 

Rewatched this before and love Meadows’ eye for subtle little plot touches. Joseph half-jokingly taking salad off the lad’s plate in the dinner scene for example, instantly filled in any blanks of the set-up at that table.

I also think he’s brilliant at picking out the perfect soundtrack, invariably stripped down Americana, to set a soul-searching tone and draw out the emotion of a scene. From Vessel in Vain accompanying old sepia photos and Richard grimly marching across the landscape as Dead Man’s Shoes opens, to the numerous Einaudi set-pieces in This Is England, to Whirlwind of Rubbish as Milky sets in motion his terrible revenge in TIE 90.

Now this, as Joseph is bashed by elemental forces and his own memories as this opening episode moves towards its end. Great craftsman.

On the other hand, wasn’t at all sure on the lengthy POV scene, despite getting the aim and purpose.

• Upvote 1

Meadows is brilliant. Love his work. Made of Stone the Stone Roses documentary is one of my favourite music films/docs of all time. Captures it perfect. 

Right I've just watched the first episode.

Fuck me that was hard to watch. The pub scene in particular. I feel like I have just watched myself from 2 years ago on the TV. Different circumstances but the hopelessness, the despair everything just hit really fucking hard. The similarities were beyond rational explanation. I'm sure many of us have been there. Those that have will have felt the same sickness. I just wanted the pub scene to end. Then the programme. 

What an actor as well. Jesus I've not wept like that in ages. Welling up again as I type. Powerful powerful TV. 

Oh and Sinbad is a cunt. 

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, Champ said:

Just put this on. I’m 15 minutes in and I’m breaking my heart here

I’ve sat and watched this on my own in the house. Oh, lord, I think I need a big hug

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Champ said:

I’ve sat and watched this on my own in the house. Oh, lord, I think I need a big hug

Have a virtual one xx

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Have a virtual one xx

Thanks

20 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Right I've just watched the first episode.

Fuck me that was hard to watch. The pub scene in particular. I feel like I have just watched myself from 2 years ago on the TV. Different circumstances but the hopelessness, the despair everything just hit really fucking hard. The similarities were beyond rational explanation. I'm sure many of us have been there. Those that have will have felt the same sickness. I just wanted the pub scene to end. Then the programme. 

What an actor as well. Jesus I've not wept like that in ages. Welling up again as I type. Powerful powerful TV. 

Oh and Sinbad is a cunt. 

You were doing the, I could just turn this off thing too?

Let’s not go back over Line of Duty but he’s utterly convincing in these kind of roles

23 minutes ago, Champ said:

Thanks

You were doing the, I could just turn this off thing too?

Let’s not go back over Line of Duty but he’s utterly convincing in these kind of roles

I couldn't turn it off as much as I wanted too. He was exceptional in this, was talking earlier about some of the most powerful TV moments I've seen and he was in 3 of the others in the This is England lot. Incredible actor when playing a raw part. 

• Upvote 1

I'm going to catch up with this tomorrow.

Watched a bit of Deads Man's Shoes before as well. I'll watch anything that Shane Meadows does

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Still don’t know if I’m going to watch the next one. 

Yeah, OK. You’re gonna watch it and then you’ll post on here that you haven’t cried like that for years even though you said that last week and the week before that and the week before that and the week before that. 

I saw Turdseye cry because his bird was giving him shit for going the match and getting drunk. I haven't laughed like that since I first saw his G-Star Raw jeans.  

Superb second episode. I loved the kitchen table scene with the kids and their brutally honest questions.

Have to assume it's going to take a really dark turn next week involving that strange man on the building site.