You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

I just get the feeling Alisson could blow up in our faces if he's the one we get. One good season in a top flight league, all the hype about being the Messi of goalkeepers. Don't buy a keeper for his distribution stats, that's what outfield players are for.

If you spend 70 mill on a keeper, you really don't want to fuck it up. Give me Oblak for a bit more, or someone the scout team identify as being world class in the making for much much cheaper. A keeper that doesn't work out is a much easier pill to swallow at 20-30 mill than 70.

• Upvote 1

He's an excellent shot stopper. Excellent. I'd still prefer Oblak because he's the type of keeper I like. I do believe there's got to be some keepers out there who are of required ability, but they'd be a risk. We're looking for players who are ready made, at this point. Even then, surely there can be some good players who are less than 80m. I'd be overjoyed if we got Oblak or Alisson, but it's a load of money and I can't complain if we draw the line at upping the world record from 35m to 88m. It's fucking outrageous.

He's an excellent shot stopper. Excellent. I'd still prefer Oblak because he's the type of keeper I like. I do believe there's got to be some keepers out there who are of required ability, but they'd be a risk. We're looking for players who are ready made, at this point. Even then, surely there can be some good players who are less than 80m. I'd be overjoyed if we got Oblak or Alisson, but it's a load of money and I can't complain if we draw the line at upping the world record from 35m to 88m. It's fucking outrageous.

Pope?

Pope?

I mentioned him earlier in the season, questioning if he's good enough. He certainly seems to be good at the 'keeping the ball out of the net' side of things, but I've heard that he has severe weaknesses in other areas. Considering wee want Alisson, who has a strength with his feet and distribution, I think it might well be a requirement.

I mentioned him earlier in the season, questioning if he's good enough. He certainly seems to be good at the 'keeping the ball out of the net' side of things, but I've heard that he has severe weaknesses in other areas. Considering wee want Alisson, who has a strength with his feet and distribution, I think it might well be a requirement.

SOLD!

Fuck this shit, getting boss players in. Who the fuck do we think we are?

FSG out! Bunch of absolute fuckin amateurs professional people with zero loads of ambition.

Pppfffttt!

I note with some amusement that the FSGOut boys on twitter are still as adamant as ever that the owners are bleeding us dry.

They just move the goalposts with every purchase. "Sure they bought van Dijk for £75m, that was just the Coutinho money! Robbing bastards." Then we get Fabinho. "Well he's just a replacement for Can, probably sell Salah this summer." Now we buy Fekir. "Where's the goalkeeper money John? Spent it on another yacht most likely."

If Alisson comes in you can guarantee they'll be lambasting the club because we didn't get Dembele or a centre back. It'll never be enough.

I note with some amusement that the FSGOut boys on twitter are still as adamant as ever that the owners are bleeding us dry.

They just move the goalposts with every purchase. "Sure they bought van Dijk for £75m, that was just the Coutinho money! Robbing bastards." Then we get Fabinho. "Well he's just a replacement for Can, probably sell Salah this summer." Now we buy Fekir. "Where's the goalkeeper money John? Spent it on another yacht most likely."

If Alisson comes in you can guarantee they'll be lambasting the club because we didn't get Dembele or a centre back. It'll never be enough.

I understand both sides, let's just get through this window without selling one of our stars before we start lauding them.

• Upvote 3

Pope is the new Heaton, who himself was the new Marshall, who before that was the new Hennessey.

Every season a British goalkeeper plays a blinder and then falls back into the mediocrity from whence they came for the remainder of their career. The key is to totally bypass them. Don't even acknowledge them until they are capable of replicating it for two seasons in a row - a feat which non of them have managed. 

Pope is the new Heaton, who himself was the new Marshall, who before that was the new Hennessey.

Every season a British goalkeeper plays a blinder and then falls back into the mediocrity from whence they came for the remainder of their career. The key is to totally bypass them. Don't even acknowledge them until they are capable of replicating it for two seasons in a row - a feat which non of them have managed.

Heaton suffered a bad injury.

Bernd Leno is the next name on the GK list. No idea about him as I know little about German football but plays for Leverkusen apparently.

Surely the measure of transfer money being well-spent is our resilience to injuries.

I still see catastrophic issues if Van Dijk, Firmino or Salah are injured.

I get the perspective but I think catastrophic is a bit strong. If Fab provides more cover the potential of VD missing is lessened.

With Keita & Fekir I think we can do different things to compensate for either Mo or Bobby missing too.

It’s not like for like but I think this core makes us stronger & improves resilience.

Silly season isn’t really silly this time. It’s shite.

Where are the stories of our ‘interest’ in players like Griezmann and Mbappe?

Neymar want to leave PSG. We should be leaking to the media that we’re monitoring fuck out of that situation. Lewandowski wants out of Bayern, you say? And Klopp’s looking for another CF. I’m just putting 2+2 together here.