You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Lyon chairman has said nothing will happen before world cup or during. He is really clutching at straws. 50/60ml is his top value and hardly any clubs in Europe will splash that on him. Unless he has a Zidane like world cup amd Real suddenly decide he is flavour of the month they are not getting more than that

So we bringing both in then?

Maybe this is why we are not looking at splashing out on a keeper. Klopp thinking go cheaper there to fill out the squad more.

As much as Karius was at fault i don't think half that happens with a better bench. We controlled that game before Salah went off. Lallana lack of being Salah or even close took the pressure off their back 4 and freed up the fullbacks to push on and Ramos to push up on Mane to stop him being able to get the ball and turn and run. Firmino isn't a speed threat so the just took the initiative

Agree with this.

As soon as Salah went off there was a stench of inevitability about the outcome of the game, it was just a case of which of our players would commit an error to let Madrid in and open the scoring, from there it just snowballed.

My problem is that, even if we were in the same position next year, with Salah injured in a key game and then having Fekir and Shaqiri as options, it's still miles off. But it's a bit like Barca having Messi injured, or Madrid with Ronaldo, or City with Aguero, you will drop a level or two with those players off the field.

Obviously, this is all mititgated in the future by having Keita and Fabinho helping us to control the game better, and allowing us to move to a different formation (433 into 4231), which we didn't have the option of doing last month.

Lots of Fekir vids doing the rounds, but I find these to be the most relevant, because I don't give a shit if he can dribble past 2 Guingamp or Rennes players, I want to see how he fares for France, in a very good team, playing against opposition who are mostly low-block.

https://youtu.be/tuI8n0LPYbU

https://youtu.be/xDlAeSOPNQ4

• Upvote 1

Lyon chairman has said nothing will happen before world cup or during. He is really clutching at straws. 50/60ml is his top value and hardly any clubs in Europe will splash that on him. Unless he has a Zidane like world cup amd Real suddenly decide he is flavour of the month they are not getting more than that

So, transfer saga after all. You need a bit of that.

I am knowledgeable. I post things when I think I'm right and when I think I have a unique point of view. Sounds like you're just a bit offended or insecure by my confidence and or the delivery of my posts. Intelligence can be intimidating, I guess.

Yeah, you, Hitler and Jimmy White.

• Upvote 2

From Reddy: https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/liverpool-hopeful-of-finalising-nabil-fekir-deal-before-the-world-cup-182817

Liverpool are in the final stages of attempting to reach an agreement with Lyon for Nabil Fekir and are hopeful of concluding a deal in the region of £60 million by the end of this weekend.

The 24-year-old, who can adeptly operate across midfield and in the forward areas, has been Jurgen Klopp’s primary target to enhance his already explosive attacking unit.

The Ligue 1 side’s president, Jean-Michel Aulas - a notoriously tough negotiator, said on Thursday that the dialogue between the clubs was “at a standstill” and a transfer would not be ratified during the World Cup.

He added that he “did not think” there would be a change in the matter before the tournament either, however, sources in France have revealed Lyon are also privately in favour of having the player’s future resolved rapidly.

With Fekir insistent on Anfield being his next destination, scuppering any chance of a post-competition auction, Les Bleus preferring a quick conclusion, and there being no guarantee that the skilled dribbler’s value will increase or even hold in the next few weeks, there is optimism that formalities can be finalised before Didier Deschamps’ charges fly out to Russia.

Fekir, an incisive passer with a penchant for shots from distance, and who is a skilled direct free-kick taker, will fill the void left by Philippe Coutinho’s departure to Barcelona.

The pursuit of the multi-functional star is part of an aggressive assault in the transfer market by Liverpool, who have demonstrated their intentions to kick on following the Champions League final defeat to Real Madrid in Kiev.

As already evidenced with the rapid move for Fabinho, the advanced deal for Keita and the record January signing of Virgil van Dijk, the Reds are strengthening their spine, while correcting key weaknesses in the squad.

Further work will be done to elevate Klopp’s depth of options, with Stoke’s Xherdan Shaqiri - a versatile attacking midfielder capable of filling in further forward - of interest.

His release clause of around £12m would make him a low-risk candidate with quality to deputise in a number of positions, while also providing the manager with greater variety.

The goalkeeping department, meanwhile, has long been a concern for Liverpool and Roma’s Alisson emerged last year as the club’s leading choice to rectify that.

The Reds iced talks with his representatives in February after being quoted a rising £62m - almost double the British-record fee for a gloveman, with fellow Brazilian Ederson having cost Manchester City £34.7m. 

There is a wealth of admiration for Jan Oblak of Atletico Madrid, who will not be short of elite suitors, but his release clause of £88m is also prohibitive.

If there is a opportunity to broker a transfer at more manageable terms, Liverpool would not hesitate to recruit a pedigreed keeper, which would underscore an excellent summer of incomings.

He won't have any real impact on the WC.

He's a midfielder, and it's hard to see him getting that attacking midfielder berth in the France team ahead of Pogba or Lemar.

Keita, Fabinho, Fekir and a top class goal like Alllison would probbly make this our best transfer window in a very long time.

Certainly better than this lot -

9231557.jpg

The face on Hodgson in that, like he’s unveiling Kenny, Souness and Gerrard.

We’ve come a long way.