You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

2 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Can anyone imagine the shower of shite we have as referees in this country being willing to accept scrutiny like this?

So at least we hear what the fuck is going on. But how long did that all take to sort out? It's a minute and a half on the video, but it's clearly clipped between the var asking him to look and then what we see. This is part of the problem. The game isn't designed to be stopped for 2 or 3 minutes at a time. And they're going on about adding time for time wasting and they don't ever seem to add on the endless time lost to this shite. 

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

So at least we hear what the fuck is going on. But how long did that all take to sort out? It's a minute and a half on the video, but it's clearly clipped between the var asking him to look and then what we see. This is part of the problem. The game isn't designed to be stopped for 2 or 3 minutes at a time. And they're going on about adding time for time wasting and they don't ever seem to add on the endless time lost to this shite. 

At least that was a “clear and obvious error” that they eventually got right. 

7 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Might be hypocritical of me but I don't mind them taking longer to overrule soft penalties that where given (like that one) than the opposite. 

6 minutes ago, No2 said:

Might be hypocritical of me but I don't mind them taking longer to overrule soft penalties that where given (like that one) than the opposite. 

it shouldn't take any time at all. the VAR watches it and just tells him his fucked it. just let the 4th official have his view as he's standing by the screen anyway, take a look and make a call. 

or of course fuck VAR off. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Funkasy said:

This respect our fuckups campaign by the refs will end up badly.

Just saying that on a text group with a few of the lads. These cunts want respect? Stop being cunts then. The ref can make a mistake. The lack of intervention from his gobshite mate in stockley park is just cunt behaviour. They deserve everything they get. 

1 hour ago, No2 said:

New policy seems to be waste 2 minutes looking at it but don't use it. Worst of both worlds.

They've been boss at issuing apologies since Webb has been around.. apparently Jonathan moss called O'Neill after the game to say it was a blatant pen. So what the fuck happens to the VAR in this situation? he couldn't have a better tool to do his job. Nobody is time pressuring them (clearly) and the foul was as easy a one to give as you can imagine. In fact I would say it was a clear red, because it was both wreckless and with force and the ball was well gone. They just can't be allowed to be this incompetent. It's impossible to believe, but it's really got worse since manc Riley left. 

It was shite when first introduced but that's because it was new and people were getting used to it.  It's still just as shite but that's because it's being used by incompetent (corrupt?) arseholes.  

VAR is a good idea, if it is implemented and controlled correctly.

It should be a tool that assists the game in a positive way.

Once you let incompetent, at best, or corrupt, at worst, humans dictate how it is used it might as well be switched off, as there are enough incompetent, at best or corrupt, at worst, humans on the pitch making decisions already.

I’m not going to pontificate how it should be used, there are sufficient, professional, people in the game to be able to work that one out, but I would have though ex-footballers might be involved somewhere down the line, and/or perhaps referees/officials who could be classed as independent to reduce any bias.

6 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

VAR is a good idea, if it is implemented and controlled correctly.

It should be a tool that assists the game in a positive way.

Once you let incompetent, at best, or corrupt, at worst, humans dictate how it is used it might as well be switched off, as there are enough incompetent, at best or corrupt, at worst, humans on the pitch making decisions already.

I’m not going to pontificate how it should be used, there are sufficient, professional, people in the game to be able to work that one out, but I would have though ex-footballers might be involved somewhere down the line, and/or perhaps referees/officials who could be classed as independent to reduce any bias.

If they are corrupt, there's no way to stop it unless you get rid of the corrupt officials. 

They've dropped the two from last night for this weekend. Because that'll obviously make a difference. 

16 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

So the officials from last night have not been given games this weekend and Howard Webb has contacted and apologise to Wolves.

That makes everything okay, I'm sure Wolves will be satisfied that it's been dealt with.

How many more before Webb's head is on the block? A massive cock-up in week one is not a good look. We now have Lee Mason, fired for his shitness, offering up apologies to wronged clubs. Fantastic. 

If we have to have VAR, then it should be “re-badged” so it’s clear it’s there to help refs not overrule them. It should only be used where the ref probably didn’t have a clear view of the incident and he should be asked to go and have another look and make up his own mind without any implication that he’s made an error. At the moment a request to look at the screen is telling the world he fucked up which is why they don’t want to do it. 

• Upvote 1

The main issue I have with VAR is that referees (even the half decent ones) will not make a call if they are not definite and let it go to VAR, to clarify. However, under that prick Webb's instructions, VAR reverts to the referee's on-field decision unless it is blatantly incorrect. 

The reason they give is that they want the on-field ref to make the calls. Ok - so if it is a decision that they may have got wrong, just advise them to go to the monitor and let him make the decision. It should not be up to the PGMOL on how the game is refereed.  They should be told how to do their job. They act like it's their game and they will play it as they see fit. Too much power altogether.

At the moment they have technology to achieve the right result but it's like they'd prefer to be wrong than be seen to be fallible. Besides everything, it just opens the game up to corruption, or just the apearance of it. And let us hear the discussion FFS. Rugby union does it. What are they afraid of?

• Upvote 2