You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Going to the pub on Christmas day.

Paulie Dangerously

Do you go to the pub on Christmas Day?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you go to the pub on Christmas day?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is it acceptable to go to the pub on Christmas day?

• Yes
    • No

Thought it was only done in soaps so people could have an argument in the latest storyline. It's not something that's ever been thought of in my family nor do I think all the blokes should fuck off whilst the womanfolk slay the turkey and mull the wine. To be honest I never liked going out on Christmas Eve either, did it once and hated it. Christmas is family time, no matter how much you dislike them.

• Upvote 2

Thought it was only done in soaps so people could have an argument in the latest storyline. It's not something that's ever been thought of in my family nor do I think all the blokes should fuck off whilst the womanfolk slay the turkey and mull the wine. To be honest I never liked going out on Christmas Eve either, did it once and hated it. Christmas is family time, no matter how much you dislike them.

A few pints at tea - time on xmas eve is lovely.
  • Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

I don't see what is wrong with going to the pub on Christmas Day if that is what tickles your fancy, I have done it myself, although as a single lad I was never into doing the whole Christmas dinner thing, it was just one long piss up. Since I've been married I do the majority of cooking and take over all cooking duties on Christmas Eve/Christmas day/Boxing day. 

I’ve mentioned it before but I know a lad who went out Christmas Eve, got in about 8 and ate the turkey that his mum had cooked overnight. They had beans on toast for dinner.

(He’s the unluckiest man in the world, my favourite story is when the bus route was redirected due to roadworks and mid-wank in his bedroom he looked up to see the entire top deck watching him)

• Upvote 5

Guest Pistonbroke

Not just Christmas Day but every family get-together Sunday Roast in our family. Don’t do it now but that’s mainly because Hungarian family celebrations are on Christmas Eve and on Christmas Day I’m hosting a British Christmas which means I’m doing the cooking

Same here, but we just have two Xmas celebrations and hold over a few pressies for the 25th. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Isn't Christmas Eve the big day in Germany for eating/family PB?  I have some German friends over here who say it is anyway.

Yes mate, we always swap about between the elder generation and take turns to host. Normally between 16-20 of us depending on people. Normally sit down to a meal about 17:00 and then someone plays Santa for the young kids as the pressies are dished out. Then it's Vodka and a good sing song or games. Christmas day (25th) is normally spent with secondary family etc. Although we just have two Xmas day type celebrations as I said. Boxing day= leftovers, a certain sport and family games. Although this year our daughter is doing the 25th with her boyfriends family and so we are doing ours on the 26th. 25th will be just us two and the lads. 

Quite a lot of Germans have a tradition of just having Bockwurst and potato salad on Xmas eve. 

Yes mate, we always swap about between the elder generation and take turns to host. Normally between 16-20 of us depending on people. Normally sit down to a meal about 17:00 and then someone plays Santa for the young kids as the pressies are dished out. Then it's Vodka and a good sing song or games. Christmas day (25th) is normally spent with secondary family etc. Although we just have two Xmas day type celebrations as I said. Boxing day= leftovers, a certain sport and family games. Although this year our daughter is doing the 25th with her boyfriends family and so we are doing ours on the 26th. 25th will be just us two and the lads. 

Quite a lot of Germans have a tradition of just having Bockwurst and potato salad on Xmas eve. 

Your way does sound appealing mate!

Guest Pistonbroke

Your way does sound appealing mate!

Just used to doing that way now mate. I remember back in the 80's that a lot of Brits would do presents after midnight on Christmas Eve. I take it that is still the case these days?

Just used to doing that way now mate. I remember back in the 80's that a lot of Brits would do presents after midnight on Christmas Eve. I take it that is still the case these days?

We usually open 1 each and leave the rest until the morning mate.  A lot over here in Ireland still do midnight mass still though I haven't in years.  Pubs are usually buzzing on Christmas eve but I stopped going a few years ago as it just gets too busy for me now.  We usually have a a bit to eat on Christmas eve and a few beers in the house.  If lucky a neighbour will land over at us with a bottle of Poitin which will get demolished!  Christmas morning get up get the prezzies unwrapped and get the dinner going.  Usually rotate either having the Mrs folks over for dinner or heading down to my folks.

Used to go all the time when i lived in Crosby. Would go the Brooke pub and see people you would rarely see all year and catch up with them. Even when i moved to Seaforth i would still get a taxi there.

Dont bother now that i live in deepest darkest Huyton as the local pub is full of scalls who i want to avoid all year rather than catch up with.