You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is it safe to come out yet? - by John Brennan

tlw content

25 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Strontium, sorry... ‘sixtimes’ Dog calling it ‘truth’ was the bit where I started getting shirty. 

Not sure why. Klopp himself obviously also recognised that Clyne/Matip/Lovren/Milner wasn't a defence that was going to win things. He moved Clyne on, moved Milner back to midfield, dropped Lovren and signed the most expensive defender in history.

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

Because it isn’t the truth. Aside from you cherry picking a bit, you should read his and your contributions in the thread. 

I think you'd be better off reading the actual article to be honest.

6 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I have. Both today and after I’d originally swerved it. I also read all of the replies. It was... majestic. 

Right, well you'll know that the chief points are:

i) We signed an injury prone midfielder for £35m when defence should have been a priority because

ii) Our defence as was wasn't good enough, and would cost us a chance of winning anything

iii) FSG needed to put their hands in their pockets for quality defensive signings

I'm honestly not sure which one of those is objectively wrong, and I obviously need you to explain it to me, especially in light of the facts that i) our injury prone midfielder has spent more time in the treatment room than on the pitch since signing, ii) our last line of defence literally cost us the 2018 European Cup and iii) FSG finally did spend the money needed, bringing van Dijk, Alisson and Fabinho in, at which point we started looking like we would win something (and, indeed, did).

On 15/09/2017 at 10:57, tlw content said:

Forgive me for using the conjunction “if”, rather than “when”, but NINE goals in 129 League games over SIX seasons will tend to make you sceptical.

It smacks of an “appeasement” signing to keep us in line. You got Salah. You got Chamberlain. We KEPT Coutinho, fending off the might of Barça. Hell, we even got you Robertson from Hull. Now, do please shut up!

We were good; they made us look great. Which goes to show that even Arsenal are capable of pulling the wool over Reds’ eyes

Klopp managed to keep his mouth shut for most of the ten days, which in itself is a miracle. Thing is, with him, you know that his next outpouring of verbiage is never far away.

As does the “Boss”.

This is negligence on Klopp’s and the Club’s part. But woe betide you if you dare criticize him.

That’s the thing with the Cheerleader-in-Chief. Nothing sticks.

Score on the counter-attack? Shout “That’s football!” at the crowd in a self-congratulatory manner. He’s above us all, isn’t he? The defence is just the on-field manifestation of this guy’s arrogance.

But we have Oxlade-Chamberlain!

if this is 'truth', then I'd sooner be living in my comfortable and deluded land of make believe. I'd have been embarrassed to write it, I'd have been embarrassed to call it truth, and I'd be even more embarrassed to pretend it's okay to have called it the truth rather than own your shit and say 'yeah, in hindsight it was a snarky, shitty article full of utter wank'. 

To each his own, I guess.

• Upvote 5

• 1 year later...
On 16/09/2017 at 00:33, Kevin D said:

My sense is that generally among the fanbase, Klopp has a 90/10 approval rating, but within Anfield something closer to 70/30. Anfield is decidedly older, has seen better, is tired of false dawns and is being financially raped(highest ticket prices outside London). There also seems to be a culture clash with the manager; he thinks they ought to be louder, they think it's a bit rich for a 7m a year manager to be gesturing at them.

John's position is wrong, but it should probably be aired.

There is method in the madness.

Klopp can come round to my house and gesture at my Nan, while gesturing at my mum for all I care, now.

28 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

There is method in the madness.

Klopp can come round to my house and gesture at my Nan, while gesturing at my mum for all I care, now.

Hearing he’s going to call around to ask you whatever happened Gary Cooper, the strong silent type. 

On 22/09/2017 at 19:34, Creator Supreme said:

Hang on, World Class manager based on what? A couple of Bundesligas when Bayern were a bit off their game? Lost cup finals?

He's won nowt in 5 years! And the reason for that is that he's lacking tactically!!

Ha ha ha ha ha never change CS!