You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

Best CB in the league for me. Complete package. Forget the 75 million, it doesn’t matter. Absolutely stinks of quality. You can tell by the confidence/arrogance. All of a sudden gone from a top attacking team with a shite defence to a solid unit. He’s brilliant. Raised the game in defence the same way Suarez did for the attack. Karius looking decent, Robertson quality and what an education for Gomez and TAA. Lovren looking assured and Matip maybe realising he needs to be at optimum if he’s going to play. Really positive stuff. Well done to him, picked who he wanted to play for and is giving it all. I admit to putting him in the shitness of modern football thread when he was being a dick to Southampton but he’s been a credit.

Newcastle were nearly no threat, a few sides have been like that. It was only a few weeks back VVD was playing in a defence getting overrun by the worst team in the league in the fa Cup (although we did have ming in goal). But for me, it's just a few games. Seen plenty of them before with this team, under this manager and the previous one. VVD looks a good signing, but defenders need to be judged in blocks of 20-30 games, especially a team that dominates the ball as much as we do - lovren it seems to me is just due one of his shite games, I'm not sure he's any better alongside VVD, he could play like this before, then has a match where he looks like a competition winner given a chance I play centre back.

Newcastle were nearly no threat, a few sides have been like that. It was only a few weeks back VVD was playing in a defence getting overrun by the worst team in the league in the fa Cup (although we did have ming in goal). But for me, it's just a few games. Seen plenty of them before with this team, under this manager and the previous one. VVD looks a good signing, but defenders need to be judged in blocks of 20-30 games, especially a team that dominates the ball as much as we do - lovren it seems to me is just due one of his shite games, I'm not sure he's any better alongside VVD, he could play like this before, then has a match where he looks like a competition winner given a chance I play centre back.

His shit games don’t make a shit defender. Vertonghen was at fault for Salah’s goal for example but he’s still a great defender. Koscielny got bullied by Pogba for their sealer, and he’s still one of the best defenders in the league. Torres used to destroy Vidic time and again... back when Vidic was arguably the best defender in the league of not the world. Lovren is no Vidic, not even Vertonghen.. but he’s having a good season.

His shit games don’t make a shit defender. Vertonghen was at fault for Salah’s goal for example but he’s still a great defender. Koscielny got bullied by Pogba for their sealer, and he’s still one of the best defenders in the league. Torres used to destroy Vidic time and again... back when Vidic was arguably the best defender in the league of not the world. Lovren is no Vidic, not even Vertonghen.. but he’s having a good season.

They absolutely do make him a shit defender. He has 4 or 5 mental matches a season. Defenders and keepers are judged by mistakes and that's too many. All defenders will make mistakes or come across players who are their kryptonite (Henry and carra springs to mind), but lovren just goes fucking mental and starts making terrible choices.

They absolutely do make him a shit defender. He has 4 or 5 mental matches a season. Defenders and keepers are judged by mistakes and that's too many. All defenders will make mistakes or come across players who are their kryptonite (Henry and carra springs to mind), but lovren just goes fucking mental and starts making terrible choices.

He’s had two bad games this season i.e. Spurs and Sevilla, but he has largely been good otherwise. He was also okay last season overall from memory bar the Palace game. He only had 1 “error leading to goals” then, not more than Klavan or Matip. He’s a good defender IMO. Obviously not top class, but I think overall he’s an asset to the team.

He’s had two bad games this season i.e. Spurs and Sevilla, but he has largely been good otherwise. He was also okay last season overall from memory bar the Palace game. He only had 1 “error leading to goals” then, not more than Klavan or Matip. He’s a good defender IMO. Obviously not top class, but I think overall he’s an asset to the team.

He's had 2 bad games (I would say more actually) and the season isn't over. He's an accident waiting to happen and he doesn't become a good defender just because VVD can help cover his failings.

He's had 2 bad games (I would say more actually) and the season isn't over. He's an accident waiting to happen and he doesn't become a good defender just because VVD can help cover his failings.

I disagree with giving Van Dijk the credit for sure. Lovren is still what he’s always been. A good defender 90% of the time who can be a bit rash at times and goes for challenges he has no right to. I’d take him over Matip though.

Ah, no mate. It really is total nonsense though, and it's very easy to demonstrate. It's even worse than my pet hate - the assist stat.

Lol, I was just gonna bring in up in the Ox thread, that it’s an encouraging sign he’s provided 3rd most number of assists for us despite starting only circa half the games of his Salah and Firmino (1st and 2nd respectively).

Lovren vs Porto a few weeks back. Goes mental and just launches the ball in full on panic mode. The look he got from Van Dijk was brilliant.

We would’ve conceded a certain goal but for his block early on.

Got an 8 on Dave’s ESPNFC.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/liverpool/364/blog/post/3384224/manes-brilliance-shines-through-with-hat-trick-as-liverpool-crush-porto