You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

What part of 'I want to sign for Liverpool' is worrying you? 

Haha - everytime this gets mentioned you react like this. He won't go to Chelsea - they've spent over a £100m and still have Victor fucking Moses as a starter!

Sent from John Henry's big shiny yacht

Haha - everytime this gets mentioned you react like this. He won't go to Chelsea - they've spent over a £100m and still have Victor fucking Moses as a starter! 

is that the Victor fucking Moses who was a key part of their league winning side?   He was brilliant for them last year.  

• Upvote 1

Sent from John Henry's big shiny yacht

And what a yacht. Thanks Philippe!

• Upvote 1

What strikes me in all this saga is, what is the difference between the shite saying they're confident of signing sigurdsson and what was supposedly reported in the papers about us and van dijk?

No club puts in a bid for a player when the player doesnt want to join them, hence, the reason many clubs interested in a player suddenly pull out of the deal citing 'other targets.' Clearly the shite have been talking to sigurdsson to continue bidding and being 'confident' of tieing the deal up.

I dont see much difference in the 2 situations.

• Upvote 1

The difference, as Dave outlined over on the MF, was that we talked to VVD, then boasted about winning the race in the press, before we'd even put in a proper approach to Southampton. If we'd have spoken to Southampton and displayed a bit of courtesy, this would probably have been done by now.

• Upvote 2

The difference, as Dave outlined over on the MF, was that we talked to VVD, then boasted about winning the race in the press, before we'd even put in a proper approach to Southampton. If we'd have spoken to Southampton and displayed a bit of courtesy, this would probably have been done by now.

I dont recollect any direct quotes from LFC in the press. All the ones I saw and read said LFC know van dijk only wants to move to the club and the club believe they've won the race for him when city and chelsea pulled out. What's the difference between that and know exactly what a players buy out clause is?

That's no different to the shite saying they're 'confident' of signing sigurdsson.

He's down from 16/1 to 7/2 to sign for Chelsea, no matter how much he wants to sign for us there's only so long someone can wait and now he's training on his own and not playing games that time frame will be halved. If we want him go get him, these two transfers are really starting to piss me off, I'm almost at the point where I want him to go to Chelsea just so I can stop looking every 5 minutes to see if we've signed him.

I dont recollect any direct quotes from LFC in the press. All the ones I saw and read said LFC know van dijk only wants to move to the club and the club believe they've won the race for him when city and chelsea pulled out. What's the difference between that and know exactly what a players buy out clause is?

That's no different to the shite saying they're 'confident' of signing sigurdsson.

Everton asked for a valuation, bid near it, then when asked said they think a deal can be done.

We asked for a valuation, said we could meet it, spoke to the player (either with permission or without, depending on what you believe), then leaked a story without bidding that we were the only place he'd go and likely tried to use it as leverage in negotiations.

Similar to Salah and others, we appear very eager to say we'll meet a valuation in order to speak to players, then tend to go back to their clubs after getting them on board and trying to use their eagerness to join as a way to lower the fee.

We've walked up to a car on a second hand lot, kicked the tyres, told every other punter who shows interest not to bother as we're buying it, then said to the salesman "I reckon it should be cheaper as I'm the only one here looking to buy it".

• Upvote 2

Everton asked for a valuation, bid near it, then when asked said they think a deal can be done.

We asked for a valuation, said we could meet it, spoke to the player (either with permission or without, depending on what you believe), then leaked a story without bidding that we were the only place he'd go and likely tried to use it as leverage in negotiations.

Similar to Salah and others, we appear very eager to say we'll meet a valuation in order to speak to players, then tend to go back to their clubs after getting them on board and trying to use their eagerness to join as a way to lower the fee.

We've walked up to a car on a second hand lot, kicked the tyres, told every other punter who shows interest not to bother as we're buying it, then said to the salesman "I reckon it should be cheaper as I'm the only one here looking to buy it".

Source?

So, you're saying everton never approached the player or his agent before agreeing a deal with his club and asking 'would you be prepared to sign if we stuck an offer in?' and that didnt lead to sigurdsson and his agent saying 'how much are you going to pay?'

Meanwhile, in the real world. As far as Im aware, swansea havent given everton permission to talk to the player yet they're in the paper reportedly 'confident' they'll sign him.

Source?

Which part?

The valuation of the player and the fact we were willing to meet it was public knowledge long before the window even opened. The reports all falling at the same time from the usual journos that VVD will only come to us is either one hell of a coincidence or they were briefed. The only logical reason would be to strengthen our hand.

The Salah saga played out in the press, so I'm not sure what source you want for that. We clearly got permission to talk to the player, which only happens when a club is deemed likely to meet a valuation (or come very close to it) or the selling club wants rid ASAP. 

So, you're saying everton never approached the player or his agent before agreeing a deal with his club and asking 'would you be prepared to sign if we stuck an offer in?' and that didnt lead to sigurdsson and his agent saying 'how much are you going to pay?'

Meanwhile, in the real world. As far as Im aware, swansea havent given everton permission to talk to the player yet they're in the paper reportedly 'confident' they'll sign him.

No, I never said that. I said they asked for a valuation and bid near it. The fact they appear willing to enter into such a negotiation in good faith likely means they've been given permission to speak to the player, as I think we were with VVD. That hardly matters though, as we all know tapping up goes on. The key part is actually bidding in good faith and not trying to turn the players head and using that as a tool.

I still think we'll get VVD, but we'll have to pay through the nose to do it.

It's not a coincidence that only this year we've seen an academy ban, been unable to get anywhere with Fulham because they still harbour a grudge over Dempsey and been reported for underhand behaviour by a team we should have a saver card with. I'm not in the FSG out brigade, but their approach is constantly one of trying to outsmart conventional football wisdom, and they've been caught with their pants down at almost every turn.

• Upvote 2

I think there's discontent behind the scenes between Klopp, the owners, and the wider transfer team about the wisdom of signing Van Dijk for £70m while he's still technically injured and has been for over 6 months. 

We could actually do with him playing games for Southampton in pre-season so we can get a look at him and how he's moving.

I think there's discontent behind the scenes between Klopp, the owners, and the wider transfer team about the wisdom of signing Van Dijk for £70m while he's still technically injured and has been for over 6 months. 

We could actually do with him playing games for Southampton in pre-season so we can get a look at him and how he's moving.

Do you really think that we would spend 70m on someone if there was any doubt whatsoever about an existing injury. I know we're incompetent but come on. The club will know the exact injury he has had and the problems, if any, it could cause in the future.