You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fascinating Liverpool pictures

stringvest

37 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Loved the Albert Dock when it opened. That was the turning point for the city.

I'm not sure what you mean by turning point Mark.  If you mean some buildings were given a facelift and loads of cheap as chips new stuff thrown up while most decent jobs continued to leave the city to be replaced by barista, bar and shop jobs, then I guess you're right.  We used to have more finance and insurance jobs than anywhere else outside London.  Now the city, like it's inhabitants, has essentially been fake tanned.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I'm not sure what you mean by turning point Mark.  If you mean some buildings were given a facelift and loads of cheap as chips new stuff thrown up while most decent jobs continued to leave the city to be replaced by barista, bar and shop jobs, then I guess you're right.  We used to have more finance and insurance jobs than anywhere else outside London.  Now the city, like it's inhabitants, has essentially been fake tanned.  

I seemed to remember the buzz from getting the capital of culture kick starting everything to where we are now.

Not all that great for the old school mooching about in a rough as fuck town centre looking for a late afternoon drink maybe in the bronte, the Seymour, or the curzon. Happy days

11 minutes ago, stringvest said:

It was either the Albert Dock or fuck all though wasn't it ? 

21 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I think the perception changed though even if not the reallty. It was more the feel of the fact the city could be going places. Richard and Judy moved in (a low bar I know) and it became a tourist attraction, the city centre has continued to be a draw for tourists and visitors pretty much ever since.

With regards the second half of your post you'll get no argument from me, but we're talking the wider evils of globalisation and capitalism there, of which there are many. 

The council has dropped the ball with things like not making the city friendly to tech companies and startups though and sadly it relies (relied) on things like the student pound, stag parties and retail.

There's also always been a huge industry in liverpool of administering grants that go nowhere, it's a full time job but has never really done what it was supposed to do and create self perpetuating wealth. They'd get grants off the EU or the lottery and you'd get stuff springing up called things like "arts in liverpool" or "tech in liverpool' or "third sector merseyside" and they'd do absolutely fuck all for anyone, people running it would get paid and it'd go tits up and disappear.

13 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I think the perception changed though even if not the reallty. It was more the feel of the fact the city could be going places. Richard and Judy moved in (a low bar I know) and it became a tourist attraction, the city centre has continued to be a draw for tourists and visitors pretty much ever since.

With regards the second half of your post you'll get no argument from me, but we're talking the wider evils of globalisation and capitalism there, of which there are many. 

The council has dropped the ball with things like not making the city friendly to tech companies and startups though and sadly it relies (relied) on things like the student pound, stag parties and retail.

There's also always been a huge industry in liverpool of administering grants that go nowhere, it's a full time job but has never really done what it was supposed to do and create self perpetuating wealth. They'd get grants off the EU or the lottery and you'd get stuff springing up called things like "arts in liverpool" or "tech in liverpool' or "third sector merseyside" and they'd do absolutely fuck all for anyone, people running it would get paid and it'd go tits up and disappear.

That's it.  The city was beaten down so badly, that it is essentially grateful for any old shite.  The new buildings are almost all of the cheap and cheerless type, and the rest of it is a stag and hen night destination preserved in aspic.  It's a proper city, or should be, for fuck's sake and that fat fuck in charge is indicative of the psyche that accepts any cheap bauble thrown at him while he should be dragging in serious business and industry, and encouraging innovation and entrepreneurship that will benefit the city and make it a serious alternative to Manchester and Leeds.  

Look at what's happened to the Adelphi over the last 45 years as a microcosm of the city itself.  

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

It was either the Albert Dock or fuck all though wasn't it ? 

it definitely was at the time.  We were dead lucky that Heseltine had a very real antipathy to Thatcher and wanted to piss her off as much as possible.  

• 1 month later...