stringvest

Fascinating Liverpool pictures

William+Brown+st+-+1968.jpg

William Brown Street, outside the museum. in 1968.  Ford Classic in the foregrounds and AEC Regent V behind.  Notice the cart behind the three blokes with the shovels.  They were battery powered and were used primarily for collecting rubbish, but obviously this one had been filled with grit to help clear the roads and pavements.

• Upvote 5

peter-alan-lloyd-bombed-out-church-st-lu

Score Lane, Childwall, some time between 29th August 1940 and 5th May 1941.

• Upvote 2

One of Liverpool's biggest department stores, Blacklers.

MPP_LEC_171214_Shopped_51.jpg

My Nan worked in there for about 30 years, flashbacks of going in there to see her on the till point as a nipper.

• Upvote 4

My Nan worked in there for about 30 years, flashbacks of going in there to see her on the till point as a nipper.

i used to get taken in there to watch the Christmas shows they'd put on.

Great pictures, I remember the numbers above the ring and the smoke as a kid as well as the smell in the

changing rooms, Alan Ruskin there too. Mates mum worked in Blacklers, store detective mind. Fond memories.

Anfield Road infants....Alexi Sayle back row far right

CVGbjneXIAA_AyR.jpg

Old Tram on Wavertree Road, by The Botanic Pub where I had my first pint many years ago

C52YtKaXQAch4MS.jpg

• Upvote 1

I remember that Mick.  Do they still do that, or have the scumbags won?

Long gone mate. One of the first things to go when the park started to fall into decline back in the 70s. Wasn't scumbags but lack of funds. Wasn't long after that that the palm house as we knew it shut.

Here's a up to date image of the palm house or the Isla Gladstone Conservatory as its known now. Why they modeled it on one of the Banana Splits I'll never know.

6196220466_d32e9bff2f_b.jpg

• Upvote 6

haha!  so it is!  Yes, I know the palm house is back to something like its former glory, but I don't often walk over by where the clock used to be.  My ana used to live right at the top of Fountains Road, within spitting distance of the park.  I lived right at the bottom of Fountains Road at the Stanley Road end, so Stanley Park was the nearest bit of grass we had.

haha!  so it is!  Yes, I know the palm house is back to something like its former glory, but I don't often walk over by where the clock used to be.  My ana used to live right at the top of Fountains Road, within spitting distance of the park.  I lived right at the bottom of Fountains Road at the Stanley Road end, so Stanley Park was the nearest bit of grass we had.

I'm pretty sure that the area where the floral clock used to be was reclaimed when they did all the work in the park and put the lake back to how it used to be. The floral clock was in the sunken gardens which I think was originally part of the lake.

I was born in Tetlow St and I went to schools in the Fountains Road. St Johns Infants and junior schools and then to English Martyrs. Do you remember Frosts when it was a department store ?

liverpool-churches-l4-st-john-the-evange