You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

So the leaks coming out yesterday were that we are going big for Keita, Van Dijk, Brandt, Lacazette with Keita and Van Dijk being our number one targets, all this from Paul Joyce, not sure how connected to the club he is. He also says Milner will be kept as a left back and Moreno, Sturridge and Ings leaving.

I'd love us to sign them 4 players because it immediately improves our first XI.

Even though a first 11 is largely redundant these days, Brandt's not starting ahead of our current three, i doubt Lacazette would either straight off unless he drops a midfielder and pushes Firminho further back.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/20/jurgen-klopp-injuries-liverpool-premier-league-title

“I think we can all agree that if we could have played our first 12 or 13 for the whole season, and we are only six, seven, eight points away from the very interesting region of the table, then it’s not unlikely that it could have worked”

Just seen the above quote from Klopp. Worrying train of thought that. If he thinks we can make it through next season with the added demands of European competition (hopefully) with a small squad made up of just 12 or 13 decent players and padded with youngsters and dross, we may as well just throw in the towel now.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/20/jurgen-klopp-injuries-liverpool-premier-league-title

“I think we can all agree that if we could have played our first 12 or 13 for the whole season, and we are only six, seven, eight points away from the very interesting region of the table, then it’s not unlikely that it could have worked”

Just seen the above quote from Klopp. Worrying train of thought that. If he thinks we can make it through next season with the added demands of European competition (hopefully) with a small squad made up of just 12 or 13 decent players and padded with youngsters and dross, we may as well just throw in the towel now.

I'm not sure this is the context that it is being delivered, at least I hope not.

It looks more like to me he is slightly wounded by the injuries etc and the lack of options to replace them so I would like to think he feels that next season it's essential that there is enough quality in the squad to replace the players who cannot play for any reason.

Even having 17 or 18 quality players is better than having 12 or 13.

How the fuck have you got that from Klopps quotes? Are you a tabloid writer?

• Upvote 1

66286f366fdd53c7b9c82e5ec4604956.jpg

Wouldn't be to adverse to this signing as long as it's Robertson and Sessignon, if it means we're not signing Sessignon then I'd rather him and keep Milner as left back. He's a decent enough player, Robertson.

If we were to sign them both I'd seriously consider selling Milner, he's not getting in the team in cm and he's not quick enough to play in the wide areas so I see no place for him and to keep him on as squad player with his wages would be insane, we'd free up well over £100k a week in wages.

Questionable whether Sessegnon is going to be a left back in the long-term.  So probably best not to buy him purely on the basis of putting him in that pigeonhole.  If we buy him, it's for his talent, not for how he fits our needs.

Robertson's a good player and still only 23.  Wouldn't mind it, but not sure if he'll be able to push up and provide the extra support needed when we're too narrow (Phil on the left) against a team sitting deep.

Wouldn't be to adverse to this signing as long as it's Robertson and Sessignon, if it means we're not signing Sessignon then I'd rather him and keep Milner as left back. He's a decent enough player, Robertson.

If we were to sign them both I'd seriously consider selling Milner, he's not getting in the team in cm and he's not quick enough to play in the wide areas so I see no place for him and to keep him on as squad player with his wages would be insane, we'd free up well over £100k a week in wages.

I'm not one of milners biggest fans, but we've very few experienced players and he can play in lots of positions. A player like that will be invaluable if you want to play a 60 game season.
  • Upvote 2

I would try Milner at DM,  We need to keep him for his experience alone and he definitely has the discipline and tactical nous to take on a key role in midfield

Questionable whether Sessegnon is going to be a left back in the long-term. So probably best not to buy him purely on the basis of putting him in that pigeonhole. If we buy him, it's for his talent, not for how he fits our needs.

Robertson's a good player and still only 23. Wouldn't mind it, but not sure if he'll be able to push up and provide the extra support needed when we're too narrow (Phil on the left) against a team sitting deep.

I think for the next year or 2 at least he'll be a left back.

I can't think of a striker more different in style to Firmino than Lacazette. If we need someone to press from the front in order for the system to work, and we sign him, then the system isn't gonna work.

Mind you Klopp got awesome results with Lewandowski and he barely touches the ball outside the penalty area so maybe I'm not giving him enough credit.

I can't think of a striker more different in style to Firmino than Lacazette. If we need someone to press from the front in order for the system to work, and we sign him, then the system isn't gonna work.

Mind you Klopp got awesome results with Lewandowski and he barely touches the ball outside the penalty area so maybe I'm not giving him enough credit.

We don't. We just can't have someone so immobile like Sturridge that it's like playing with 10 men.

Lacazette would be a great signing for almost any club in the world. 

Whether or not we sign them remains to be seen, but at least the names are of the right calibre - Van Dijk, Keita, Brandt, Lacazette. If we get four of that sort of quality we'll be in business.

As for left back, Robertson is a decent enough player and is probably an upgrade on Moreno. I'd like to sign Sessegnon on the off chance he becomes some sort of Bale and progresses from left back to a real attacking force.

I'm not sure this is the context that it is being delivered, at least I hope not.

It looks more like to me he is slightly wounded by the injuries etc and the lack of options to replace them so I would like to think he feels that next season it's essential that there is enough quality in the squad to replace the players who cannot play for any reason.

Even having 17 or 18 quality players is better than having 12 or 13.

I found it almost bizarre the way he mentions bad luck when it comes to Sturridge being injured.

95% of Liverpool fans could have told Klopp before the start of the season that Sturridge would spend a good portion of the season out injured. (When he's fit he isn't good enough anymore, which also is no surprise.)

Players get injured as a rule. If they don't, it's an exception to the rule. If you go into the season planning on using 12-13 players that's just plain delusional.

Hopefully the interview doesn't reflect what Klopp actually thinks.